• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Part of the tragic homicide near Purdue's campus comes to a legal conclusion. The "shooter" was sentenced in Tippecanoe Circuit Court on Friday afternoon.

After fatally shooting his friend during an alcohol-fueled prank last August in West Lafayette, Cory S. Lynch voluntarily sought counseling for alcohol-related issues.

The former Purdue University student vowed Friday morning in Tippecanoe Circuit Court to "live a life of God" from now on. Lynch, 23, has decided to never drink alcohol again, according to his Indianapolis-based attorney, James Bell.
    They were among several mitigating factors cited by Judge Don Daniel, who sentenced Lynch on Friday to two years on community corrections -- some combination of work release, house arrest and day reporting -- and one year on supervised probation.
    That means Lynch, who pleaded guilty in January to reckless homicide, a Class C felony, won't spend a day in prison for killing 21-year-old Landon Siela.
    "I never thought I would see a case where somebody dies and somebody doesn't go to prison," Daniel told Lynch. "I don't believe putting you in prison would accomplish anything for anybody."
    The shooting took place on Aug. 22, 2009, at 204 Wiggins St. in West Lafayette, where Lynch had been living with Siela's longtime friend, William Calderon.
    It was two days before classes began for Purdue's fall semester.
    Lynch, of Carmel, had faced between two and eight years of incarceration.
    According to court documents and information presented during prior hearings, the three friends had spent much of Aug. 22 drinking beer and hard liquor.
    They also were playing with an airsoft gun, which shoots rubber pellets at relatively low velocity. Lynch and Calderon then decided to pull a prank on Siela by using real firearms.
    The handgun Lynch fired belonged to Calderon. Lynch had not realized the firearm was loaded. He pulled the trigger, and a bullet struck Siela in the throat.
    "There's no way I can ever forgive myself for what I've done," Lynch said in court Friday. "I can see and feel the heartbreak when talking to Landon's family. ... I know it's not enough to say I'm sorry.
    "But I'm sorry for what I did and how I acted."
    Lynch told Daniel he wanted to share his story with junior high students. He has already contacted his church to set up a meeting with youth groups.

"Landon was a friend of mine, and every day I live with that," Lynch said.
    The sentence was in line with recommendations made by Siela's parents, Ron and Janet Siela of Fort Wayne, and other family members. They asked for the minimum punishment under Indiana law.
    Ron Siela, who testified Friday morning, said that is what his son would have wanted.
    "Landon was always protective of his friends, no matter what," Ron Siela said through tears. "He might go down the wrong path with them, but he would always stand by them.
    "... We're doing what Landon would have done."
    Deputy Prosecutor Jason Biss and Tippecanoe County's probation department each recommended that Lynch be sentenced to two years in prison and two years on supervised probation.
    Biss noted that Lynch had two prior alcohol-related arrests -- one of them as a juvenile. When he shot Landon Siela, Lynch was already free on bond for an unrelated charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
    The drunken driving arrest occurred on June 21, 2009, in Hamilton County.
    "The state's recommendation does not always match the family's recommendation," Biss noted. "But it's necessary for the state to protect the safety of this community."
    Daniel considered Lynch's prior arrests as aggravators, but he noted that neither carried significant weight. The judge further said the shooting "happened as a result of circumstances unlikely to occur again."
    Lynch's attorney, the deputy prosecutor and Daniel all commented that it was a unique case.
    "The judge listened to the Siela family and the Lynches and arrived at a fair result," Bell said.
    Lynch also must complete 288 hours of community service.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the follow-up Kurt.

I'm not sure how I feel about the end result. I try not to resent the Carmel bourgeoisie, but it comes through at inappropriate times.

I truely hope that Lynch makes his life a positive one from here on out.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Who is Kurt?:D Kurtis Fouts of Delphi?:D

You are welcome. Thought it would be of interest to people here at INGO.

I've known Judge Daniel since before he had that title. I respect his decision and his decision-making skill.

I only hope that Mr. Lynch's campaign will oppose the abuse of alcohol, not the use of firearms.

Thanks, Kirk.

Blessings,
    Bill

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Help me understand what being from Carmel has to do with this situation?

This is a joke, right?

I mean, you don't actually think that everybody has equal protection under the law, do you?

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom