• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Sorry if there is information elsewhere in the forum that I'm not seeing, but what is the usual method with purchasing from an individual, like someone from the classifieds here? I have a general understanding of the process, but how do you avoid the risk of the gun having been used in a crime, reported stolen, or something along those lines? Just got into handguns and I'm looking to buy something else to try it out. Just want to know the risks involved and how to mitigate those risks. Thanks.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Hand over money...take gun home. Mitigating all possible risk is going to be difficult, unless you ask the police to run the serial number for you. ( This is the cost of living in a free country, and is what Bloomberg et al. are blathering about when they talk about "closing the gun show loophole"...the really mean, the "individual purchase loophole.")

If you're the seller, you should make sure the person resides in your state, to ensure you're not selling a handgun to an out-of-state person. (Asking to see LTCH proves the person passed a background check at some previous point in time, but nothing about his history since then).

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...how do you avoid the risk of the gun having been used in a crime, reported stolen, or something along those lines?

The same as you would for a knife, hammer, bow, lawn mower or anything else you might buy used from an individual.

Bpw1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You need to do a bill of sale for firearm transfer basically states that you purchased under circumstance that this fire arm was purchased legally with no prefixes of illegal use.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    You need to do a bill of sale for firearm transfer basically states that you purchased under circumstance that this fire arm was purchased legally with no prefixes of illegal use.

This is incorrect information. Some folks _like_ to do a bill of sale. There is NO requirement for one. Period. See ATM's response above. He knows what the heck he is talking about.

If you _want_ one - fine - that is your right to ask for one. But it is NOT a requirement.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

Don't really even know what you are saying here. I highly recommend that any sale be done in daylight in a populated place. I like to meet in Walmart or someplace similar parking lots. Lots of people around and easy for both parties to find. That said this is no guarantee that nothing bad will happen. It is always a good idea to take a friend along.

NO bill of sale is REQUIRED but if both parties agree it isn't a bad idea.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for the replies all, good information.

Yep, I understand it's like buying most anything else used, but I don't often, if ever, buy anything used. Typically most other used items don't have serial numbers that can be traced to crimes. Wasn't sure if there was something I wasn't aware of to check first. I had intended on bringing along a friend, if possible as well, just in case. At least it seems I was thinking along the right direction...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you can get hold of the serial number ahead of time, try searching here,
    HotGunz Stolen Gun Search

Mind you just because you don't find it listed there does NOT mean it's not been stolen, just that it hasn't been reported there.
    On the other hand, if you run the number and you get a hit on that site then you KNOW it's been reported stolen.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have never purchased a firearm from an individual, but have sold several. I think it wise when selling, to have my name and address, the individual you are selling to, his name and address. Like said before, check ID and LTCH. List what is being sold, for how much and the serial number. Date of sale. Two copies. One for me and one for the person buying, with both signatures on each copy. None of this is required, but the firearms I have sold were originally sold to me by an FFL. So the serial number is attached to my name. If some time later said firearm is involved in a crime, and the police knock on my door, I want to show them the bill of sale with all this info on it. Just because you are not breaking any laws, does not mean you should not be smart about it.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Don't make a simple transaction into a complicated one.

1) Meet in a well-lighted public place.
    2) Are you an Indiana resident? Some people ask to look at Driver's License or check the License Plates.
    3) Can you legally own a firearm? Some people ask to see an LTCH but you don't need a LTCH to own a firearm.
    4) Exchange cash and firearm.
    5) Leave.

If it becomes too complicated then I would just buy from the LGS at my convenience and be done with it. Follow the law but there is no need to add to it.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Don't make a simple transaction into a complicated one.

1) Meet in a well-lighted public place.
    2) Are you an Indiana resident? Some people ask to look at Driver's License or check the License Plates.
    3) Can you legally own a firearm? Some people ask to see an LTCH but you don't need a LTCH to own a firearm.
    4) Exchange cash and firearm.
    5) Leave.

If it becomes too complicated then I would just buy from the LGS at my convenience and be done with it. Follow the law but there is no need to add to it.

This and spend as little as possible then enjoy your new pistol.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I have never purchased a firearm from an individual, but have sold several. I think it wise when selling, to have my name and address, the individual you are selling to, his name and address. Like said before, check ID and LTCH. List what is being sold, for how much and the serial number. Date of sale. Two copies. One for me and one for the person buying, with both signatures on each copy. None of this is required, but the firearms I have sold were originally sold to me by an FFL. So the serial number is attached to my name. If some time later said firearm is involved in a crime, and the police knock on my door, I want to show them the bill of sale with all this info on it. Just because you are not breaking any laws, does not mean you should not be smart about it.

CYA

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon

Wrong! Please research the laws of Indiana before giving people the wrong information!

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    It is your right to ask for a signed bill of sale. There is no requirement to do so. There is no guarantee that you will get one. This information holds true for both parties.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    I have had 2 ftf used gun purchases. One with bill of sale one without. Both short and sweet in a public place. If I was seeking I would insist on bill of sale, if nothing rise fire my piece of mind.

Top Bottom