• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tjeads

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    In some states, if you purchase more than one gun or two guns in a single day, there is a special report that goes to the local sheriff's office or even BATFE. Is that the case in Indiana? I'm esp thinking about this as the October Indy 1500 gun and knife show is approaching and I have a few guns in mind....but maybe I should only buy one a day?????

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Indiana has no regulation limiting the number of guns you can buy at one time. I've never heard of any report made to any local agency to that effect (in Indiana).

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    Not 100% on this, but I believe that if you buy 2 or more handguns at once (or within 7 business days of each other) the dealer is required to fill out an extra form. I think it's a federal thing too.

I'm not sure if it extends to rifles/shotguns or not either.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have bought more than 2 handguns in one day and obviously more than 2 in one week. If the dealer fills out a special form then I am unaware of, but maybe it happens. Nobody has ever knocked on my door asking to inspect them. Maybe I'm on a list and some black helicopters will be showing up soon? I dunno. Not going to lose any sleep over it.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    From the ATF website

(F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one handgun to an individual? [Back]
    If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any non-licensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting the sale or disposition of the second handgun.
    A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the license, regardless of whether State offices are open. The application of the term “business day” is, therefore, distinguishable from the term “business day” as used in the NICS context. Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays, days on which State offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday or Sunday, or the Saturday after the reporting requirement would be triggered, the subsequent acquisition of a handgun would have to be reported on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent handgun was sold.
    [18 U.S.C. 923(g)(3), 27 CFR 478.126a]

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Ever since GCA '68 was enacted, to the present, the sale of 2 or more handguns by the same dealer to the same individual, within a 5 day period, has to be reported to ATF as a multiple sale.

Edit to add: See above

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If the dealer fills out a special form then I am unaware of, but maybe it happens.

It does happen, as it is a federal requirement (see above). There is nothing required from the purchaser (signature, etc) on the form, and the dealer typically fills it out as part of their routine paperwork at the end of the day, which is why you don't see it.

ATF uses these reports to screen for illegal trafficking (i.e. people buying large numbers of handguns at once, or smaller quantities on a frequent basis); the average gun owner buying 2-3 pistols every now and then, or someone buying a bunch of pistols one time (replacing a collection lost in a fire, etc) isn't likely to raise any eyebrows.

Savvy customers who don't want to be "on the list" will simply buy one pistol outright and put the other one on layaway for 6 days...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Savvy customers who don't want to be "on the list" will simply buy one pistol outright and put the other one on layaway for 6 days...
    Heck if I have to wait 6 days between purchases then I'd go into withdrawls and my dealer would likely go bankrupt :):

If I'm on "the list" then I'm on there so many times that it simply doesn't matter any more. Heck they probably moved my name to the top this year. Like I said, I'm not losing any sleep over it. Actual gun confiscation is a long way off and I've been known to accidently drop a gun over the side of a fishing boat while shooting at sharks so I've lost a couple. :dunno:

Heck its actually a rare week that I only buy 1.

tjeads

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Heck if I have to wait 6 days between purchases then I'd go into withdrawls and my dealer would likely go bankrupt :):

If I'm on "the list" then I'm on there so many times that it simply doesn't matter any more. Heck they probably moved my name to the top this year. Like I said, I'm not losing any sleep over it. Actual gun confiscation is a long way off and I've been known to accidently drop a gun over the side of a fishing boat while shooting at sharks so I've lost a couple. :dunno:

Heck its actually a rare week that I only buy 1.

I like seeing that someone else is addicted to buying guns. Are you broke yet?:)

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've never worried about it. I've known for years they did this but to me its a non-issue. The ATF is just looking for people gun running. Sure, you'll be on a gun owners list, but guess what - you already are. The minute your dealer pics up that phone and dials the NICS, your name goes into a database as a gun buyer. Sure, they're *suppose* to purge those records after X number of days but there is evidence showing this data isn't purged per the law.

If it comes to confiscation we're all on a list, regardless. The question then becomes, how compliant will you be when they come knocking on your door?

mar_2343

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    NWI
    I've never worried about it. I've known for years they did this but to me its a non-issue. The ATF is just looking for people gun running. Sure, you'll be on a gun owners list, but guess what - you already are. The minute your dealer pics up that phone and dials the NICS, your name goes into a database as a gun buyer. Sure, they're *suppose* to purge those records after X number of days but there is evidence showing this data isn't purged per the law.

If it comes to confiscation we're all on a list, regardless. The question then becomes, how compliant will you be when they come knocking on your door?
    sounds like large schedule 40 tubes getting buried filled with grease and a copy of your favorite piece of machinery:biggun:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    sounds like large schedule 40 tubes filled with grease and a copy of your favorite piece of machinery

What's that saying... "if it's time to bury your guns, it's time to dig them up." :patriot:

So, if you buy a handgun and a rifle, there will be no need for the extra paperwork/form?

Correct; the multiple sale report is for handguns ONLY.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom