• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbowhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Avon
    I have been looking at Puma lever action rifles. And I am torn between the .44mag & .454 Casual. Primary use will be Indiana deer. I like the extended range and power of the .454
    I like the ammunition availability and cost of the .44 and I know that I can shoot .45 long colt out of the .454 Anything that I am missing ? Any recommendations either way ?

Last edited:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I have the .44 magnum Puma, and I love it. I haven't taken it hunting (yet), but I hope to this year. It's a nice piece, and a lot of fun to shoot. The only thing I don't like is the strange safety, so I don't use it.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Cost of ammo would be what I would look at. I rather be a better shot with something I can affort to practice with then a poor shot with a hotter ammo.

.44 mag is overall cheaper to practice with. That is the way I would go.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I don't think you can easily scope it, so the added range of the 454 casull will not be as helpfull imho. I'd go with 44 mag for cheaper ammo, less recoil.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Both cartridges are more than adequate for deer. If you carry a side arm, you also can factor in your choice into your decision. My experience with my .454 is that it shoots very well with stout .45 colt rounds - so well that I primarily hunt with that now. Since I also carry a ruger .45 Colt blackhawk as a sidearm, it just makes your ammo choice all the easier.

Just go with what you can get your hands on and can practice with. If you reload, you have an entirely different situation to work with. Just shoot your gun a LOT to smooth it out and to gain experience. For me, returning to iron sights was a really great experience.
    FYI - here is a thread that was running a while back on alternative sights for the Puma.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    FYI - you guys are 100% correct for price of factory ammo. I strongly suggest you start reloading - you can cut your costs tremendously! Another plus of getting a "plan" together for your weapons is some standardization of components. I now hunt with the same bullet out of my muzzleloader, handgun, and rifle (Hornady XTP) - makes things simple and MUCH less expensive than factory ammo.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would stick with the 44, the cost of 454 ammo even if you reload is significantly higher and practicing as much as you can will help your hunting sucess.:)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought a Puma 92 44mag 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Keep in mind that a 44mag in rifle is a heck of a beast and it's nothing to scoff at in a handgun either. A 44mag is plenty for anything in Indiana. Lets face it, there's no excuses with a 44 rifle, if you shoot and it doesn't go down it wasn't the gun or the caliber. It can also shoot the 44 special also.

These are a you know what to scope, so most people don't unless you buy the scout version. In either case you're not going to get hunting accuracy past 150 yards, maybe 200 if you're really pushing it with either caliber.

Since I bought my Puma 92, I bought another on a great deal. My uncle like it so much he talked me into selling it to him. I like these so much I just found another Puma 92 44mag on an even better deal that I'll buy and keep. I would buy one in every model they make them in 44mag if I had the $$. It's a great rifle.

IMG_0699.jpg

In either case buy one and you can't go wrong. One thing I'll give the 454 is I think the buttstock has a rubber recoil pad (not that it's gonna matter with a 454) on it and the 44mag is steel, ouch.

triharley

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    St. Anthony, IN
    I agree with BigMedicine, I can reload my 44 mags for half to 2/3's of retail depending on lead or jacket bullets. You might find the ole lever gun alot more fun to shoot than just during deer season.

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    A lever gun in .44mag or above is on my must buy list, but I must admit I am relatively ignorant about the options. I am not a deer hunter (yet) but I thought whichever rifle I get next it would be nice if it could also be used for deer in Indiana along with whatever else I might want to use it on. What are you gaining ballistically when you go from a .44mag to a .454?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    A lever gun in .44mag or above is on my must buy list, but I must admit I am relatively ignorant about the options. I am not a deer hunter (yet) but I thought whichever rifle I get next it would be nice if it could also be used for deer in Indiana along with whatever else I might want to use it on. What are you gaining ballistically when you go from a .44mag to a .454?

Here are the ballistics for the common cartridge types employed by Puma rifles. Note that these are handgun barrel ballistics, but it will give you a comparison between the cartridges.

pumaballistics.jpg

Top Bottom