• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Odds are he didn't steal the OP's blade, more than likely, he simply forgot to return it. It happens. :dunno:

Seems like it should be SOP for all confiscated items to be kept in a single location so that they could be returned in their entirety together. It's only being excused because it was the pocket knife. Bet it would be a different story if he "forgot" to return the firearm. :dunno:

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    Phishing on his part. How would he know your plates were wanted in Va? Does he randomly run plates on cars just driving down the street? Does he have info on every crime 2-3 states away? IF he thought you were wanted for an armed robbery why did he walk up to your car in a casual manner and expose himself to a possible armed felon. He was Phishing and you took the bait. Contact the PD and complain about the stop and your confiscated property. :twocents:

^^^this^^^

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Why can't the OP be telling the truth and the LEO NOT be lying? A warrant for a person can be tied to a vehicle plate number if it is believed that the person is driving a particular vehicle. Now the NCIC warrant will hit on numbers only. Indiana used to have uniquely lettered plates (example 49x1234) with the county number first. However, in the last year or so the State has changed our plates to generic numbers/letters...same with specialty plates. So the probability of an Indiana plate number matching a plate number to another state are much higher. So there could easily have been a warrant hit for a VA robbery suspect with a VA plate number that matched an Indiana plate number. It will take a little time to figure out that the wanted plate was NOT an Indiana plate number. and YES, I will disarm a driver who's car gets a HIT from a VA armed robbery warrant. The officer did not search the car so I am not sure why he would lie about this just to pull him over then let him go. If you are looking for warrants or suspended drivers you can just run the plate then run the registered owner to see it they are valid, suspended, or wanted.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    YES, I will disarm a driver who's car gets a HIT from a VA armed robbery warrant. The officer did not search the car so I am not sure why he would lie about this just to pull him over then let him go. If you are looking for warrants or suspended drivers you can just run the plate then run the registered owner to see it they are valid, suspended, or wanted.

But having gotten a hit for possible armed robbery, are you going to just walk up to the driver's window and ask for papers, or are you going to do a felony stop with your weapon drawn?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Phishing on his part. How would he know your plates were wanted in Va? Does he randomly run plates on cars just driving down the street? Does he have info on every crime 2-3 states away? IF he thought you were wanted for an armed robbery why did he walk up to your car in a casual manner and expose himself to a possible armed felon. He was Phishing and you took the bait. Contact the PD and complain about the stop and your confiscated property. :twocents:

Fishing? For what? He didn't search the car, so what was he fishing for? You can run plate/registered owners info without stopping him. Warrants are entered into NCIC so they can pop up nationwide. I randomly run plates all the time looking for stolen cars/warrants...100% legal. I will agree that his officer safety might leave something to be desired.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Why can't the OP be telling the truth and the LEO NOT be lying? A warrant for a person can be tied to a vehicle plate number if it is believed that the person is driving a particular vehicle. Now the NCIC warrant will hit on numbers only. Indiana used to have uniquely lettered plates (example 49x1234) with the county number first. However, in the last year or so the State has changed our plates to generic numbers/letters...same with specialty plates. So the probability of an Indiana plate number matching a plate number to another state are much higher. So there could easily have been a warrant hit for a VA robbery suspect with a VA plate number that matched an Indiana plate number. It will take a little time to figure out that the wanted plate was NOT an Indiana plate number. and YES, I will disarm a driver who's car gets a HIT from a VA armed robbery warrant. The officer did not search the car so I am not sure why he would lie about this just to pull him over then let him go. If you are looking for warrants or suspended drivers you can just run the plate then run the registered owner to see it they are valid, suspended, or wanted.
    Stop making sense. You're taking all the fun out of this thread.:D

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So in conclusion....

Office was doing his job with the information provided.
    Citizen was honest and provided more information than required.
    Call and ask about the knife with any date/time/leo details. Good luck with the red tape.

sullivmt2015

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Makes you wonder what rights you really have when the police disarm you every time you are pulled over. I don't understand why they have the right to do this if you possess a license to carry a handgun. Is the extensive background check good for nothing...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Even with my OCD, this is getting on my nerves. I think it's gone far enough. Someone needs to put it in the INGO FAQ so we can all just put a hyperlink to it in our sig lines if we feel strongly enough about it and then leave other people alone about it....

Agreed and done. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post187167

Makes you wonder what rights you really have when the police disarm you every time you are pulled over. I don't understand why they have the right to do this if you possess a license to carry a handgun. Is the extensive background check good for nothing...

You have the right to protect the life that your Creator gave you. You have permission from the state to do so with a handgun when off your own property, if you have a state-issued permission slip to do so.

As for the extensive background check.... I'm not sure how extensive it is, but both local LE and State are responsible to run one on you when you make application for a LTCH. A 01 FFL holder is required to call you in and have a federal check done on you when you buya firearm at retail. Again, extensive? Not necessarily, but you're correct, it is done.

Blessings,
    Bill

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Not all LTCH holders are disarmed every time they are pulled over. The last one I disarmed was under arrest for dropping a bag containing 30 individual baggies of crack cocaine on the ground as I was having him sign a summons for driving while suspended. Had he not done that he would have gone on his merry way.

That was an exception to how I do things. The vast majority of my encounters with LTCH holders is telling them to keep their hand off theirs, and I'll keep my hand off mine.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Not all LTCH holders are disarmed every time they are pulled over. The last one I disarmed was under arrest for dropping a bag containing 30 individual baggies of crack cocaine on the ground as I was having him sign a summons for driving while suspended. Had he not done that he would have gone on his merry way.

That was an exception to how I do things. The vast majority of my encounters with LTCH holders is telling them to keep their hand off theirs, and I'll keep my hand off mine.
    :yesway:

Xin Loi

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Not at all. I just said damn, i don't know anything about that. Then he asked what i did for a living. Generally speaking everything went without issue. They didn't have any issue with me carrying but still, where do they get this armed robbery from. Maybe I was being profiled with my beat up Malibu driving around up-scale Fishers, ha.

Maybe a lot of truth to that, a number of years back I was stopped in Carmel driving my beat-up old Chevy going to a friends house early in the morning. I think he probably noticed from my plates that I wasn't from around there.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I, like Denny, run plates at random all the time. I get a fair amount of traffic and warrant arrests as a result. I also get a few soundalike warrant hits or warrant hits due to a same birth date that turn out NOT to be the person I ran....

Top Bottom