• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    He approached and just asked for an ID. I handed him my ID and carry license. I only asked what I was pulled over for after he had me sit on the curb.

You will learn young padawan :)

There are several posts that delve into the varying murky waters that are and can be LEO encounters. A good starting point would be to look up a video of a lecture as to why to Never talk to the police.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Phishing on his part. How would he know your plates were wanted in Va? Does he randomly run plates on cars just driving down the street? Does he have info on every crime 2-3 states away? IF he thought you were wanted for an armed robbery why did he walk up to your car in a casual manner and expose himself to a possible armed felon. He was Phishing and you took the bait. Contact the PD and complain about the stop and your confiscated property. :twocents:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm all for respecting the LEO but for this very situation alone is why I don't encourage handing over your LTCH just because confrontation
    is all in the hands of that responding officer and how THEY decide to handle the situation of the stop.

In this case, I'd have handed over my DL; if asked... say I have nothing illegal to be concerned of, and leave it at that.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes they can. And they do.

Some municipalities have scanners set up on cop cars and they just drive and scan, drive and scan.

I don't know if our current plates are readable by these scanners - and if they even keep a log of events.

I don't know if FPD has any automated scanners, either.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    If this is a true story (you had your digital recorder going, didn't you?) and I am giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, then there is so much fail in this LEO interaction that I would be repeating myself for the umpteenth time about which laws and case laws these officers violated.

The fail, it hurts.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Considering Indiana is not "May Issue" and we require no permission to carry, but a license I think it bears repeating. We are shall issue, calling it a permit makes it sound like we had to ask "perdy pweez".

:)
    If you have a LTCH, you did in fact ask, "perdy pweez". Just because they're inclined to give it to you unless you're "unfit" doesn't change that you had to ask.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some people give the LTCH right away, myself included, because it is "supposed" to stop questioning (and disarming) at that point. Unless suspected of a crime of course.

His response about the license plate though. That's to get around the law that is supposed to stop questioning and disarming. Because there is a possible threat, they can do it.
    They just made it up.
    At least that's what I think happened.
    You can always go in, and ask for the report.
    And, I'd get your knife back.
    And contact his boss.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Phishing on his part. How would he know your plates were wanted in Va? Does he randomly run plates on cars just driving down the street? Does he have info on every crime 2-3 states away? IF he thought you were wanted for an armed robbery why did he walk up to your car in a casual manner and expose himself to a possible armed felon. He was Phishing and you took the bait. Contact the PD and complain about the stop and your confiscated property. :twocents:

You can call it "phishing" if you like, but it's very, very common. And once a plate has been run, and there's a high felony warrant from just about anywhere, it will pop up on an officer's computer. Now often, the "hit" appears based on a "sound alike" or "alias" name, so an officer should check the BMV return to make sure it matches the hit before pulling over the vehicle. If that cant be discovered before puling over the vehicle, then the officer should pull the vehicle over and attempt to match the physical characteristics of the wanted person with person in question. Obviously, once stopped, and if a person is armed, they should be disarmed.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd be calling the Fishers PD explaining to them what happened and asking for your property back.. you got lied to and robbed.

You think?

:rolleyes:

You're going to call FPD and "explain" what happened based on an acct posted on the interwebz? :laugh:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    You can call it "phishing" if you like, but it's very, very common. And once a plate has been run, and there's a high felony warrant from just about anywhere, it will pop up on an officer's computer. Now often, the "hit" appears based on a "sound alike" or "alias" name, so an officer should check the BMV return to make sure it matches the hit before pulling over the vehicle. If that can be discovered before puling over the vehicle, then the officer should pull the vehicle over and attempt to match the physical characteristics of the wanted person with person in question. Obviously, once stopped, and if a person is armed, they should be disarmed.
    This is sad, because I know what you meant, but you should probably put your flame retardant suit on. :):

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ask for the Gerber back, Officer(s) actions were justified, sorry for the mistaken identity, I am sure as a CJ student you understand. He couldn't have asked if you were wanted in VA, as a teenager in the detroit area, I was cutting through our subdivisions back yards to my home from a late night babysitting gig, same time a clown was assaulting some woman late at night some streets over. I got a shotgun to the back of the head, a revolver to the right side of the head, and disarmed of my wallet which showed on my young license that I was in my own backyard. I was too scared to pee, just a quick No Officers, wasn't me, by the way I live here, was all I could do. Now get that Gerber back.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Ask for the Gerber back, Officer(s) actions were justified, sorry for the mistaken identity, I am sure as a CJ student you understand. He couldn't have asked if you were wanted in VA, as a teenager in the detroit area, I was cutting through our subdivisions back yards to my home from a late night babysitting gig, same time a clown was assaulting some woman late at night some streets over. I got a shotgun to the back of the head, a revolver to the right side of the head, and disarmed of my wallet which showed on my young license that I was in my own backyard. I was too scared to pee, just a quick No Officers, wasn't me, by the way I live here, was all I could do. Now get that Gerber back.

Maybe the officer will return it, it's not like he doesn't have the OP's information to send it back to him. If not then apparantly he intends to keep it.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This crap again? :rolleyes:
    Even with my OCD, this is getting on my nerves. I think it's gone far enough. Someone needs to put it in the INGO FAQ so we can all just put a hyperlink to it in our sig lines if we feel strongly enough about it and then leave other people alone about it.

The "Warrant out of Virginia" sounds like a BS pretext for pulling over someone that all the cops knew about was that the registered owner of the vehicle had an LTCH... And for the purpose of stealing a Gerber.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I like Fishers, and I like new INGO members, but i agree that something doesn't add up. You need to get a copy of the report if for no other reason than to expose the liar or clear your name if it's falsely associated with a plate or similar plate.

You wil continue to flag the system if that warrant alert is true when the next guy runs your plate, right?

The other option is call Virginia state police and discusss it with them prior to showing up at Fishers PD. it will help your counter argument if you say "strange, VSP had no record of my name or plate associated with any crimes"

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I like Fishers, and I like new INGO members, but i agree that something doesn't add up. You need to get a copy of the report if for no other reason than to expose the liar or clear your name if it's falsely associated with a plate or similar plate.

You wil continue to flag the system if that warrant alert is true when the next guy runs your plate, right?

The other option is call Virginia state police and discusss it with them prior to showing up at Fishers PD. it will help your counter argument if you say "strange, VSP had no record of my name or plate associated with any crimes"[/QUOTE]

Excellent! But i'm sure FPD already has fixed the glitch for him so it doesn't happen again.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Contact FPD and inform them that the officer forgot to return your Gerber knife.

This.

I would also do it in person, and I would request to talk to a Supervisor or someone up the food chain about the traffic stop. I would start the conversation by talking about:

1) Getting your seized property back (knife)
    2) Figuring out what you can do so that your plate doesn't come back to a "robbery in Virginia". I would request that he/she show you what comes back on your plate when ran thru the system. If there's nothing of that sort that comes back, you know the stop was improper.
    3) If improper, I would file a complaint and perhaps even consider contacting an attorney.

Top Bottom