• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    In your opinion which is the better 308 manufacturer? I found a deal on both.

I looked around at what was available when I decided to go with a .308 AR, and I ended up with the DPMS AP-4 Carbine. As you can see, mine has the free floated forend with the carry handle and post front sight. POF makes a fine weapon, but it is expensive and also far more proprietary. If you stick with a DPMS platform gun, spare parts are a lot more plentiful and easier, as well as cheaper to obtain. These guns are very popular, and DPMS has a wide range of models. They have a very good performance record.

Mine runs well with most every type of factory ammo and handload I've fed it. With piston operated weapons the ammunition is more powder specific in comparison. With the direct impingement design of the DPMS, it is not anywhere near as ammunition sensitive. Another plus with the DPMS platform is they will accept Magpul P-Mags. Armalite platform weapons will not. P-Mags are everywhere. Like most AR platform guns, they're easy to modify with whatever you wish. I changed out the buttstock on mine to a Vltor E-Mod stock because I don't shoot in a ninja suit, and I like the added extra inch of length of pull it gives me. I've also changed out the grip since this photo was taken to a Ergo Grip. It's much nicer than the typical cheap, plastic grips most manufacturers provide on their weapons. (A feature I wish they would get away from like LWRC and others have).

These things are staring to show up again so be sure to shop carefully for price. I bought mine a couple of years ago before all the craziness started, and I think I paid around $1,200.00 give or take for it. Some of the newer DPMS models are up around the $1,700.00 range, but are better appointed. So there is enough out there to satisfy your tastes, whatever they should happen to be.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have an FN FAL and a DPMS LR308. I like both of them, but like the FAL just a little better. If I had to choose between the two to pick up and run into the woods, I would definitely take my FAL.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My vote would be with the DPMS. Love their LR series rifles. Ive had 3 different models an currently have one that I probably wont get rid off. Far better accuracy than the PTR if for no other reason.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My choice would be (and was) the PTR-91.

Parts availability and magazine availability for the PTR are great. Most (if not all) G3 parts on the surplus market will work in the PTR, you just need to keep an eye on the US parts count. I'm getting ready to place an order for 100 G3 magazines, they will cost me $1.80 each including shipping an will be new or near new.

The currently produced PTR rifles are chambered to HK specifications and will feed and function with anything.

Here's a photo of my rifle.
    PTR-91withSteelLowerandWoodGrip_zpscd39d8b6.jpg

Top Bottom