• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well I got home around 6:30 tonight and found out my furnace is broken and won't be fixed till tomorrow. so ew will be bundled up tonight and find out if we have enough blankets to make it through cold weather. yay:rolleyes:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sorry to hear about that. Each year I make sure the kero heat it in order and I have at least a 24 hour supply about 1 1/2 gallons. Won;t heat the whole house smells like heck but pipes won't freeze and nether will the kids.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    Well that's definately a bummer. hopefully you can stay bundled up. supposed to stay real cold for the next several days. I just had to put a new heater in the house. the last one was 18yrs old. guess I got my moneys worth.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    That is more like the FHTF (fart hits the fan) it still kind of stinks but it will likely blow over with a lot less work and prep needed. :bowdown: <--fanning not bowing.

phil

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    What better way to see if you are prepared for SHTF! That does suck, having no heat.

SDH...you beat me to it!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    no fireplace. I do have a couple small space heaters though. it should be a "fun experience" I don't mind it that much as I'm always hot but my wife and child is another story.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    the electrical board is fried so probably not.

Ouch..

I would advise you get some source of temporary heat like a small Kerosene heater or several electrical space heaters (or a combination) to keep the temps in the house above 55 degrees (60+ even better).
    55 ambient and above is the temp needed to keep pipes from freezing in a home.

If you do go with Kerosene heat follow safety directions and make sure to keep a window open at least an inch to keep the air safe in the home.

phil

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    As long as you crack open the faucets, you should not have to worry about freezing pipes. Not saying it'll be good for long, but should get you through the night.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Luckily for you tonight's low is not that bad. You'd be in worse shape if the temps had been lower for a while.

A run to wallyworld for a 1500 watt space heater is in order, and as another help you can turn on lights and appliances, basically anything that takes electricity will generate waste heat.

And now it's a cheap lesson on the importance of backup sources of heat, and to know how to drain your water system to keep it from freezing should power be out for an extended period of time.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    A propane heater might do you some good 50 bucks for a tank 20 if you got one to refill, and 35 bucks or so from HD for a one burner... puts off an ungodly amount of heat.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Yes, a good learning experience. I have a few electric heaters, plus two kerosene heaters with three gallons of fuel. My latest is a couple of propane space heaters and four 20 gallon tanks.

One low the propane heaters burn about a gallon every three hours. Will run for a couple days on one tank. I also have a small well insulated cottage, so the bigger one keeps the cottage just over 60 degrees if the temp stays about 20 degrees or above. Below that I have to turn it to medium to keep the temp over 60.

The propane does not smell like the kerosene but the kerosene heaters are larger and put out a lot more heat. One of the kerosene heaters will keep my cottage up around 80 degrees. I have to open windows when I use one of them.

I seldom use that electric heaters because my home is all electric, I mostly had them from my place in the woods. They seem to give out the least heat of the three types.

You might want to dig out your sleeping bags as well. Dress the kids in long johns, socks and a sock cap if they have them. Stick them in the sleeping bags and they should be fine as far as keeping warm. If you have lighter sleeping bags, put sweats over the long johns.

Top Bottom