• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I picked up a new handgun at the 1500 this past weekend (a 1911) and the previous owner had seriously neglected it. The inside of the barrel was solid black in between the riffling grooves.

It took me about an hour to thoroughly clean it, I probably put 10-15 cleaning pads through the barrel and they came out black every time. I finally gave up and used a wire brush cleaning rod, followed by a few pads. That did the trick quite nicely :) Now it's nice and shiny again.

So please, don't get lazy on your guns! Protect them like the investments that they are. Fortunately I think it's a safe bet most of the members here pretty adamant about cleaning their weapons :):

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I got a FNP40 at the 1500 and had real close to the same issue. The gun was in great looking shape but when I cut the zip tie and stripped it, it was filthy. It cleaned up nicely but took awhile.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I picked up a new handgun at the 1500 this past weekend (a 1911) and the previous owner had seriously neglected it. The inside of the barrel was solid black in between the riffling grooves.

It took me about an hour to thoroughly clean it, I probably put 10-15 cleaning pads through the barrel and they came out black every time. I finally gave up and used a wire brush cleaning rod, followed by a few pads. That did the trick quite nicely :) Now it's nice and shiny again.

So please, don't get lazy on your guns! Protect them like the investments that they are. Fortunately I think it's a safe bet most of the members here pretty adamant about cleaning their weapons :):
    Do you usually just use patches to clean? just wondering, I can use patches untill they run clean, but if you run a brush through it they are dirty again. You can tell in the barrel of my 92fs that has several thousand rounds through it, that it has had a brush run down it countless times. I don't think it affects the rifeling or accuracy though, it is still my most accurate handgun.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Must not have been from INGO'ers as the couple guns I have bought off of here were very well taken care of!

You guys rock!!:rockwoot:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Do you usually just use patches to clean? just wondering, I can use patches untill they run clean, but if you run a brush through it they are dirty again. You can tell in the barrel of my 92fs that has several thousand rounds through it, that it has had a brush run down it countless times. I don't think it affects the rifeling or accuracy though, it is still my most accurate handgun.

I do my normal maintenance cleanings with just patches usually. But every few hundred rounds through my handguns I'll give them a good run over with the brush.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I am usually very anal about my firearms being cleaned the same day I shoot them. That being said, the last time I went out (over a month ago) I brought the AK. It still has not been cleaned.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I too am very picky about my guns being clean. I will not put a dirty gun back in the safe, and I have to have all of my guns clean within 24 hours of a range trip.

And to the OP. At least it has a good home now!:D Take good care of her!

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    When I am packing it up at the range, I will run a boresnake through the barrel and wipe the gun down. Later I will strip it down and run a patch saturated with bore solvent down the barrel and let it sit while I clean the rest of the gun. Then I'll run a brush down the barrel, then patches until they come out clean. Once it's nice and shiny, I'll run another patch through with CLP on it.

It must work good for me, because there have been several times when I have sold or traded a gun when I have been asked if it has ever been shot.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I leave my guns in a used state, if they won't work dirty I don't want them and the dirt protects the metal from wear, it keeps metal to metal contact down to a minimum and then if I sell it somebody cleans it up and gets a new gun down under all the gunk.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I leave my guns in a used state, if they won't work dirty I don't want them and the dirt protects the metal from wear, it keeps metal to metal contact down to a minimum and then if I sell it somebody cleans it up and gets a new gun down under all the gunk.

wow....... :rolleyes:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My firearms always get cleaned after the range, except my AK. My daily carry gun gets field stripped once a week, to clean out all the fuzzies, etc. That's one comment that the buyer who bought my Xd .40 said. You take care of you guns. If you take care of your firearms, they'll take care of you. The Mosin I just picked up, still had cosmoline on the bolt, magazine, and follower. The last round would not chamber. I gave it a good cleaning, and now it's good to go.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Bwuahahaha!!!
    Man, I sure hope that was supposed to be taken as a joke, cuz I laughed my ample butt off...:laugh:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN

Bwuahahaha!!!
    Man, I sure hope that was supposed to be taken as a joke, cuz I laughed my ample butt off...:laugh:

50/50

my match guns that get shot every week get a wipe down and a brush every once in a while

Rifle barrels get cleaned, AR's get sprayed down and general cleaning, I don't have any show guns they are all used and used alot, None of mine malfunction because of dirt and every gun in the safe is ready to go as long as I'm not playing musical scopes, which happens alot

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    The dirtiest of x10's guns will always outshoot the cleanest gun in my herd. I wouldn't dare put one of my princess-clean guns against his dirtiest if the ownership of the gun were on the line.

At least the person with the dirty gun uses it rather than just let it sit in a safe and rust.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    You guys do realize that it is the fouling and crud in the barrel and on the moving parts that wears them out right? If you leave the crud there it acts like an abrasive. Metal moving on metal that is clean with just some light oil on it will last much longer.

As far as obtaining guns from INGOER'S I have gotten a couple that looking down the barrel was like looking down a sewer pipe. Both of them took literally days of soaking the bore in Benchrest and brushing them out for days. One of them I dislodged lead deposits, seriously.

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    I cleaned mine after every few hundred rounds but asince getting my mosin i clean all of them after i get done shooting its kinda relaxing

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    You guys do realize that it is the fouling and crud in the barrel and on the moving parts that wears them out right? If you leave the crud there it acts like an abrasive. Metal moving on metal that is clean with just some light oil on it will last much longer.

As far as obtaining guns from INGOER'S I have gotten a couple that looking down the barrel was like looking down a sewer pipe. Both of them took literally days of soaking the bore in Benchrest and brushing them out for days. One of them I dislodged lead deposits, seriously.

I bet more damage has been done with aluminum rods than 1500 lead bullets between cleaning

they make lewis lead removers for people who shoot their guns, there is a difference between use and abuse and a pristine firearm isn't the top of the pyramid

Top Bottom