• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    The freedom parts are their budget parts. Little things like the buffer tube is a "lower quality" than milspec supposedly. That being said, there have been some tests on the freedom parts and they've done fine, especially for a plinking rifle. If you're going to run it hard, I'd go into their higher quality stuff. But I've never had any problems with PSA stuff.

PSA is running a special today for an entire build kit for a lower for $400. Is it a decent kit?

This will be a basic plinking rifle that I just want it to work. It won't be a target gun and minute of man accuracy is fine with me. What do you say?

PSA 16" M4 5.56 NATO 1:7 Melonite Freedom Rifle Kit & Magpul Magazine PMAG D-60 AR/M4, 5.56x45

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Freedom > PTAC. I'd buy the first one in a heartbeat if I had the cash as long as the shipping doesn't kill the deal. Sometimes PSA's shipping rates are insane. Unfortunately they had a Hammer forged M4 kit for 449 shipped I just bought so I'm broke... haha

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I really need to start ignoring those PSA emails.
    They got me today for a blemished 9mm Colt lower and a complete 10" 9mm upper w/charging handle and 9mm bolt carrier group.
    All I need now is a pistol buffer assembly and I'm good to go.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    So, does a "bolt assembly kit" like this one (AIM NIB .223/5.56 BAK-UP (Bolt Assembly Kit) for AR type Rifles) make a complete bolt or is there anything missing? Seems like a good deal for $60.

Then, to finish it off, you could get $15 Anderson charging handle or even a BCM Gunfighter for $50.

Sweet as Winnie the Pooh's honey stash that.
    No, that is missing the Carrier. You would also need to purchase it, making that not such a good deal.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I looked at this thread earlier... I honestly pondered buying the first kit you posted just to sell the rifle and get a free magpul drum out of it! I really want one of those!

Piobair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    NWI
    OK, now y'all have me worried. I picked up an Anderson receiver on sale a while back, and have been waiting for PSA to put an ACS-L lower build kit on sale.

They did this week, and just happened to have a flat-top upper and bolt carrier group and charging handle in the same ad. So I ordered this: Palmetto State Armory Magpul ACS-L Lower Build Kit - Black - 27354 this: PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1:7 Nitride Freedom Keymod Lightweight Upper - No BCG or CH - 7779901 and this: PSA 5.56 Premium HPT/MPI Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group with Charging Handle

I've been avoiding PTAC, but wasn't aware until this thread that Freedom was a lower-quality line. I'm just looking for something for targets and home defense, and wanted an evil black rifle before November 8. I know the usual advice is to buy your first AR already assembled, but I like to build stuff.

Did I screw up?

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    PTAC is the low end PSA stuff. The freedom line and other non CHF stuff is middle of the road. Their premium line features CHF barrels made by FN. You didn't make a mistake by any means. Looks like you'll have great rifle for around $600, better than any production rifle in that price range. :yesway::ar15:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    For 98% of AR shooters the Freedom kit will do any and everything you'll need it to. Buy it build it and put rounds through it. Its pretty much that simple..................

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom