• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stryker1025

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Brownsburg
    I'm reloading in my garage and its going great (Dillon and Redding), but given that it's not climate control I want to ask those who also reload in similar conditions how you protect your reloading press and other associated items from rust? I keep the ram greased, and dies get light lubrication from my brass (I lube both pistol and rifle to make it easier on the equipment and me) and shell plate wiped clean. But this isn't enough.

I would really appreciate any guidance on products and application/frequency used to keep the press, dies, and equipment in good condition. I'll never be able to reload inside my house:)
    Thanks in advance for your help

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    At my last house my presses were mounted in an unattached, uncooled, unheated garage (except when I was out in it with a wood stove). I used the Z-rust bags (Zerust ICT VCI Bags | Zerust Corrosion Management) on my machines. I would spray them with hornady one-shot when done using them and then place the bags over them and close the bottom as best I could with a rubber band. Two years in the garage and no rust on my hornady l-n-l, lee press and most importantly a single stage cast press. I also ran a dehumidifier in the garage. Here is a link to my original post back in 2014; https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/334440-reloading-press-covers.html.

Stryker1025

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Brownsburg
    SSGSAD and jamesb thank you I appreciate it. I'm going to take my single stage press and powder throughs apart and scrub them good. I'll order the Zerust bags and try them. I definitely think this will be great from my less frequently used items, but it sounded like you just unbuttoned things as needed and kept them wrapped when not in use. I checked out your 2014 post and links thanks again.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    SSGSAD and jamesb thank you I appreciate it. I'm going to take my single stage press and powder throughs apart and scrub them good. I'll order the Zerust bags and try them. I definitely think this will be great from my less frequently used items, but it sounded like you just unbuttoned things as needed and kept them wrapped when not in use. I checked out your 2014 post and links thanks again.

Since you are close, if you need or want any help, just let me know .....

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    My 10X12 reloading shed is not climate controlled. I wipe the presses and dies down with an oily rag at the end of each reloading session. The rams and linkages are oiled, more or less, monthly. No other rust preventives are taken. My presses look like they did the day I installed them, and some are as old as 25 Years.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Ohoian has the right idea. Wipe it all down with an oil of your choice and call it a day.

Be cautious in application of WD-40. While a great rust preventative, it can gum up moving parts as it dries.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I wouldn't depend on WD40 for long-term storage but for the opposite reason: it's so thin it doesn't last. I've had many auto parts and misc bits of metal rust under it. From the pattern, I'd guess a bit of dust or contamination landed in it and bridged the oil layer. Lots of little dots of rust. If things get gummed up using WD40 I'd suspect stuff getting caught in the wet oil rather than the thicker components left behind as it dries.

Stryker1025

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Brownsburg
    Thanks so much for everyone responding and sharing how you do things- with such an investment I want to take care of it. Seems taking a good grade oil and wiping things down is appropriate. Would you also let me know what you use to lubricate the XL 650 and how often? I was searching forums on metals and came across using grease when things slide vertically and using oil when metals rotate within each other. How and with what items do you grease/lubricate your Ram on the 650 and other components? I see the grease fittings on the arm, but wasn't sure what type people have success with over the long run.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Top Bottom