• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    If you carry to protect yourself and family but have no medical training you are failing to protect yourself and family as effectively as possible. You will be much more likely to save/protect if you sell your firearms and invest in medical training. Below is a list of the top 10 things most likely to kill you in U.S. as of 2009. Assault(homicide) isn't even in the top 15 anymore. You are more likely to kill yourself (suicide) then you are to get killed in a homicide.

This list (and a class I took) really opened my eyes to the reality of what is most likely to kill me. Of course everyones situation is different and a list of the top 10 killers for people in the U.S. is really broad but I've decided to sell off some of my firearms and take a serious looks at addressing the things on this list.

Eating healthier, getting more and more first aid training, and taking a serious looks at preventing accidents in the places I spend the most time seems like a really effective way to keep myself alive longer.

I do still enjoy firearms and will continue to carry. I've just decided to put more resources toward the reality of what threatens me and my family. I guess that was my rant for the day.

Heart disease: 599,413
    Cancer: 567,628
    Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 137,353
    Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,842
    Accidents (unintentional injuries): 118,021
    Alzheimer's disease: 79,003
    Diabetes: 68,705
    Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,692
    Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,935
    Intentional self-harm (suicide): 36,909

FASTSTATS - Leading Causes of Death

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Thats a start. Now lets break that down by age, family history, race, etc..

No matter how you break it down by age accidents are more likely to kill you then homicide. I would love to see it broken down alot further though.

At 1-24 years old it looks like homicide is number two with 14%. Accidents are still number one with 38%.

from age 25-44 homicide drops to 6% with cancer and heart disease becoming more prevalent.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db64.pdf

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    Some thing to strive towards, eating better and exercise. Being safe around workplace has always been an issue for me being around noisy oily machinery.
    Keep your eyes open and hope it's not your time.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    @Glock

I have thought about getting more medical training to supplement my self defense training. I am current with CPR including AEDs, but where can I get more/other medical training?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No matter how you break it down by age accidents are more likely to kill you then homicide. I would love to see it broken down alot further though.

At 1-24 years old it looks like homicide is number two with 14%. Accidents are still number one with 38%.

from age 25-44 homicide drops to 6% with cancer and heart disease becoming more prevalent.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db64.pdf

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I was not disputing your facts of what is more likely to kill you. Just that once again, priorities can be set by what risk group you fall most into. I am all for adressing and mitigating evrything you can. Diet, excercise, being a better driver, etc..

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I was not disputing your facts of what is more likely to kill you. Just that once again, priorities can be set by what risk group you fall most into. I am all for adressing and mitigating evrything you can. Diet, excercise, being a better driver, etc..

Gotcha.

Imeagher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have taken a first responder class and I highly encourage anyone who can to become a first responder.

daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    @Glock

I have thought about getting more medical training to supplement my self defense training. I am current with CPR including AEDs, but where can I get more/other medical training?

Many local fire departments hold AHA certified first aid courses to get the basics. Going further Ivy Tech and many other schools offer First Responder courses, EMT-Basic, and on up to Paramedic if you get really serious about it. The average person only needs First Responder though, EMT-B and Paramedic courses are for people that want to do it professionally (like me :cool:).

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Many local fire departments hold AHA certified first aid courses to get the basics. Going further Ivy Tech and many other schools offer First Responder courses, EMT-Basic, and on up to Paramedic if you get really serious about it. The average person only needs First Responder though, EMT-B and Paramedic courses are for people that want to do it professionally (like me :cool:).
    Thank you! I'm not looking to be a pro, but I think there could be a lot more that is beneficial beyond basic CPR.

Imeagher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If your lucky your work will pay for it like mine. Our first responders also get a little extra pay. I took the clAss mostly to be better prepared to take care of my wife and kids.

Top Bottom