• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • algedonic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Hello all,

I have been considering getting a .22 for target shooting and cheapness of ammo. I am not worried about marksmanship levels of accuracy, but I do like a gun that works.
    I also want a gun that I like to look at and hold, but without making me feel I spent too much on it.
    After deliberation and trying out a couple of people's guns, I have narrowed the choices down to:

Beretta Neos U22
    S&W 22A
    Ruger Charger

The only issue I have with the Ruger is the gun weighing 3+ pounds, otherwise it would be pretty sweet.
    Thoughts?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    After shooting and owning a lot of 22lr handguns, the only one I would ever consider is the browning buckmarks.

Some other things may work for some people, but my buckmark has been as reliable as any of my centerfire guns. Only exception is the quality of 22lr its self, since I have ran into quite a few "honest" duds I could not set off in any gun, especially in bulk packs.

I think you'll be very happy with one of the buckmarks. On some of my better days the gun can manage 2" steel targets at 100 yards offhand with bulk pack ammo.

0U54B.jpg

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Never tried any of the (3) on the OP's list either...

Have always preferred the Ruger mark series and the Walther...

If I ever added another, it would be the Browning or maybe try the Ruger SR22.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I've used basically all of them (.22 handguns) and my favorites by a long shot are the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger Mark 2 or Mark 3 series.

I'm not a big fan of the Ruger Charger having finally gotten to fire one last weekend. It's basically a 10/22 without the advantage of having a stock.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have not been able to put my 22A through the paces yet*, but I am favorably impressed with the option of interchangeable barrels at the push of a button. My guess is that anything on your list would be satisfactory with the caveat that the Charger is not going to handle as a handgun per se much in the same way that a Contender does not do so.

*Work is about to slow down for the year so I am about to put in some range time!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Ruger

The Ruger Charger doesn't belong on the list. It comes with a bipod for a reason. You can't go wrong with any of the Ruger Mk series of pistols.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes I have a S&W M&P 22. I bought it because I have a M&P 40c. It's nice to get some extra practice in. I still fire the 40c to keep my ability up. But, the 22 gives me the ablity to train more.

The Neos is a great target pistol.
    The M&P 22 is more along the line of a carry pistol, just in 22.

Jakob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have been pleased with the quality of the P22's. They're fairly accurate (for only having a 3 inch barrel), compact, and look AWESOME. They tend to be picky on ammunition (at first, until you get a few bricks of cheap 22 through them) but after a thousand rounds or so, it will take any ammo type from my experience! The GSG-1911 22 that a friend has was my second favorite! It is extremely accurate (with a 5 inch barrel) and is the same weight/material as a normal 1911. 80% of the parts are interchangeable with other mil spec 1911's too!

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I have had a 22S the steel version of the S&W 22A for a number of years now and it is accurate, fun to shoot, and has gotten good reviews from everyone that has shot it. Just something to consider.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'll be blunt. Personally, I wouldn't consider any of the three on your list. There are many other better options in the price range.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    my friend has a Neos people with tiny hands love it looks kinda space gun'ish
    my daughter loves it seems to be very reliable and easy to take down
    we also have a ruger mark III 22/45 w/ 5.5" barrel - now that's a gun ........ with small ammo - close to 1500 rds through it fte, ftf, stove pipe combined less than 5, it does take a youtube video to strip and reassemble, my wife has a ruger LCR in 22lr , which can also fire 22l and 22short, but not 22mag. good luck Dan T

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have heard a few people brag on the M&P 22, anyone got any experience with them, assuming I got the model right.
    Ditto on accuracy of the m&p22. It's a lil tack driver. Seems to be a 'little' picky on ammo. Winchester bulk has issues in mine, but cci shoots fine.
    There was a thread recently where someone was looking into an m&p9c and an m&p22. Some good experienced info pertaining to the 22 can be found in it.
    found it here

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    The SW22's grip feels like a fat pig. Never understood how someone decided that was good to go out the door like that.

I had a Neos U22. It shot flawlessly. Sold it to a friend so I could "upgrade" to a Buck Mark. The Buck Mark has been nothing but trouble.

So to answer the question posed, and not suggest alternatives, like everyone else here, the Neos is the best pick by far!

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Yes I have a S&W M&P 22. I bought it because I have a M&P 40c. It's nice to get some extra practice in. I still fire the 40c to keep my ability up. But, the 22 gives me the ablity to train more.

The Neos is a great target pistol.
    The M&P 22 is more along the line of a carry pistol, just in 22.

Your right on I'm going to rethink a possible 22 for range practice.

Top Bottom