• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EUROTRASH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    'merica
    what is it? i bought a 91/30 yesterday and shot a few rounds at the place that i bought it. but i want to know how to sight it correctly.

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    m38and9159rearsight_000.JPG

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    what is it? i bought a 91/30 yesterday and shot a few rounds at the place that i bought it. but i want to know how to sight it correctly.

I've always just used a standard sight picture with the tip of the front sight level with the tops of the rear sight. Mosin's are great rifles, but can be frustrating at times. I don't know if it was a flinch issue, but the first few times out, I could not hit anything at 50 yards. At least two of the Mosin's we bought recently did need the sight adjusted before becoming accurate. My oldest son now carries a hammer and punch when we go the range incase we need to do a bit of adjusting.

If you're having trouble with accuracy, try shooting from a solid bench rest or sand bags to take as much shooter error out of the equation. If you're still throwing them all over the target, try cleaning the barrel really well. I think that was the issue with my M38. The first 3 range trips on that were not great and it took a while to really get the crud out of the barrel. It now shoots very well and I think I'm the limiting factor on accuracy at this point.

EUROTRASH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    'merica
    awesome man, i cleaned the barrel really well last night, but i guess it couldnt hurt to clean it again to be safe. i wasnt even gonna try to shoot it without it being propped up. im using 148 gram shots right now to get used to it, but i may up that later. and ive heard sometimes that the front sight can just be jacked up, but ill actually get some targets going soon and see how it is.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Standard open sight/leaf sight picture:

sight_aligning_open_sight.gif

make sure your rear sight is adjusted to the 100 yard setting as in the above pictures.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    awesome. thats what i was needing. i just didnt know if the rear sight had the be level with the front one.

Great. Now there are two choices of where the actual circle target goes on the front sight. This picture is called "pumpkin on a post" or "6 o'clock hold" because the sights sit at 6 oclock on the circle. The other technique that the military used to teach (still does?) is "center of mass" where you put the front blade at the center of the circle. Whichever you do, be consistent. The easiest to do is the one in the picture above, and if you do not already have a preference use it.

Get to an Appleseed as soon as you can. This is all done within the first part of the morning and more comes after that.

And thank you for asking a basic question since that is what you needed. many in the gun world are far too proud to learn and so stay inaccurate and ignorant even though they are armed to the teeth.

EUROTRASH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    'merica
    well they still teach center mass. im in the national guard, ive shot many weapons (including an at4=awesome) but i realize every weapon is different. this is my first gun purchase and first actualy rifle that ive shot. (i dont consider an m16 or m4 an actual rifle) so im trying to learn how to actually shoot these long rifles. i figured if id take my time and ask questions and learn then i wouldnt be an asshat out on the range.

Top Bottom