• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Just checked and my son and I both drew buck tags for Pronghorn in Wyoming. We will be bow hunting the opener in August. Wondering who else is hunting pronghorn this fall? The tags issued this year in Wyoming are about 1/5 what they were last year. Was there a huge winter kill? Are predators taking more than they did last year? Not sure. We did not draw doe tags - and it doesn't appear there will be any leftover tags either.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Marks+Buck.JPG

This was my first bow kill pronghorn back in 2009

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    No go in WY for me this year but I'm landowner tagged in in MT and SD, so I'll reap them some regardless. Lightning struck and I drew MB elk tags in NM but missed lopes there too. Hoping some of the ranchers I know across the plains, will come calling, for cull hunts.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Yes, population is down due to severe winter kill and poor fawn recruitment in most of the areas. However, there are still a bazillion goats in Wyoming. Antelope hunting is a LOT of fun. Took my oldest son as graduation gift in 2010 before he went into the Army. Best father/son trip ever. What unit are you hunting?

Dirty Steve

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Congrats on your tag and good luck. Post up some photos when you return.
    Mule Deer in CO for me this year. Still building PP's in WY for another great Antelope hunt in one of the good units in the western part of the state.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Yes, population is down due to severe winter kill and poor fawn recruitment in most of the areas. However, there are still a bazillion goats in Wyoming. Antelope hunting is a LOT of fun. Took my oldest son as graduation gift in 2010 before he went into the Army. Best father/son trip ever. What unit are you hunting?

Dirty Steve

We're in a walk-in area in 46. Have hunted there for a few years and it's usually pretty good. Couple of years ago it was unusually dry and all the ponds were dry. Had to hunt stock tanks only and it was quite challenging. Trying to get an arrow on a pronghorn with cattle everywhere is difficult to impossible sometimes. This is my son's first trip out, so he's really looking forward to it and I'm looking forward to guiding him on his first western hunt.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I've hunted 42 a few times, which is right next to 46. Your son will love it. My son still talks about it and wants to go again. I was on cloud nine when my son sniped his goat at 380 yards. I could have cared less if I killed a goat after that. Best father / son trip yet. I'll take my youngest as a graduation gift in 4 more years.

Dirty Steve

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I've hunted 42 a few times, which is right next to 46. Your son will love it. My son still talks about it and wants to go again. I was on cloud nine when my son sniped his goat at 380 yards. I could have cared less if I killed a goat after that. Best father / son trip yet. I'll take my youngest as a graduation gift in 4 more years.

Dirty Steve

Lotta goats, no two ways about it. I'll do everything I can to get my son a goat. Hope they come to the water, don't know what summer's been like there yet. We'll be practiced to 60 yards, but if the wind's bad 30's about the most you can expect to be accurate.

We'll post up pics if we get lucky.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm jealous, that looks like fun.
    THey've gotta be tough with a bow. They seem like one of the most skiddish critters I see out west (usually, sometimes they hang out in ditches, etc, but that's not the norm)

Good luck getting your speed-goats.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    @ Jeremiah

Where in Wyoming do you hunt. Just asking because my in-laws live in Wyoming and they have pronghorn walking thru there yard all the time. Took about 10 prairie dogs out when I was there last year, now that's fun shooting.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    @ Jeremiah

Where in Wyoming do you hunt. Just asking because my in-laws live in Wyoming and they have pronghorn walking thru there yard all the time. Took about 10 prairie dogs out when I was there last year, now that's fun shooting.

This year we drew south of Medicine Bow. We drive in to Medicine Bow for fuel, water, and a burger at the Virginian once in a while. We will be there for the opener on the 15th of August. Can't wait.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    If you are considering a guided hunt, I would refer you to Tyler Sims Outfitting. I have used him before and he is excellent. He has access to well over 200,000 acres of private property and kills B&C goats yearly. If you are into long range shooting, Tyler is your man. If not, he will still put you on quality goats daily and you will see 200-500 each day.

You can also do it on your own fairly easily with some research on the net, phone calls, studying maps and hunt units. If you want to hunt a quality unit, buy a preference point now and apply in 15 and or buy another in 15 and apply in 16.

Dirty Steve

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Been using Google Earth to map out water holes and stock tanks. What an incredible tool for pre-scouting. I've done this before in area 47, but this is the first time I've pre-scouted area 46 from my computer. Found a couple I didn't know about and will definitely be checking these out when setting blinds.

I make a 3-ring binder with pictures of satellite images of water holes, two-tracks (yes - they're on there!), GPS coordinates, etc. Right click in maps-google earth, and add "what's here" then slide the cursor over it and you'll have the exact GPS coordinates of that spot. I've done it before and you can drive right up to hidden water holes. Slick.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    We're Back! I can confirm the pronghorn numbers in Southern Wyoming are definitely down. Drought and EHD have really kicked the pronghorn in the teeth. We sat several days - 15 hours in the blind at a time - and sight a few goats and way fewer coming to the water. This year is definitely NOT a drought and they have lots of water options. So, very low numbers and lots of water make for a very tough hunt. However, my son took a nice buck, I missed my one and only opportunity.

On the plus side, we knocked the <explitive> out of prairie dogs with the rifles. The dogs are coming back and lots of opportunities to help the local ranchers. Conservative estimate on dog kills - 160 - a day and a half on the rifles. Longest confirmed kill: 500 yards. My son on the 22-250 first shot at 500. Of course the guy feeding the dope was the real hero (that would be me). Ha.

Top Bottom