• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    After using a RCBS Rock Chucker for years, I have decided to take the plunge for a progressive press to create some volume.

I was looking for opinions regarding Hornady's lock and load AP and RCBS pro 2000.

I haven't discounted Dillon but I don't know anything about them.

Anyone here use and of these presses? Thoughts?

Thanks.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I now have 2 LnL AP's I Like mine and Hornady customer service has been great when I need it.
    Since I have bought my first one I have only called customer service 3 times in the 3 or 4 years I have owned it.

Only down side I can report is it doesn't always eject the smaller calibers reliably.
    It depends on the condition of the brass though. If he base of the brass isn't all beat up it works fine.

I haven't counted but I would guess I have loaded close to 20,000 rounds in it since I bought it and it is still going strong.

Dillon is a no brainer good buy but I have not used one so all I can speak to those.

I would recommend the Hornady with out hesitation.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    DILLON, DILLON, DILLON.
    I don't own the other 2 but Dillon has the best warranty and customer service that I have ever recieved on any product. They have replaced things that I have broke not their product problem just a user problem. Nothing but BLUE on my bench.
    They also have the best resell.
    You can buy direct from dillon but some local gun shops carry them as well.
    550B is a great press if you shoot a lot of different calibers. Easy to set up and use.
    Brian Enos is a large internet dealer and has free shipping if you purchase a certain dollar amount. He also has a FAQ's that tell you the advantages of each press.
    Here you go:Dillon Precision Reloading Frequently Asked Questions
    Good Luck and have fun.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    There's a good link in this thread with a comparison
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/142870-dillon_v_rcbs_v.html

As a followup-, my LNL has somewhere north of 10,000 rounds off of it since that thread. I have not had any occasion to use hornady CS, since nothing has broken. I just added the case feeder a few days ago and could not be happier with the setup.

My only beef, and this goes to AllenM's point about ejection, is that the shellplates needed a quick polish where they hold the shell casing. Once you do that, the ejection issue is gone and it'll eject anything you put in there.
    Small issue; 10 minutes with a dremel and some Flitz took care of it, and I saved quite a few bucks over the Dillon 650, the comparable machine from team blue.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    RL550 For Me..

I've been loading for almost 40 years-First 10ye. with my RockChucker only-last 30ye. with a Dillon RL550 and my RockChucker.
    I load most all of my handgun calibers with the R550 and am VERY happy with it's use. I'm sure the others are good, but I know my Dillon is GREAT....Bill.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    As far as progressive presses I have a LnL AP and a Dillon 550. The Dillon is still pretty new to me but so far I could do without it. The Hornady is nice.

I have just less than 1k .45acp and 1500 .223 so I might still have some acclimation time for the Hornady...Idk.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    I have been loading on a dillon 550 for 15 years now and im sure there are other Quality progressive presses out there but I am a firm believer in "if it aint broke dont try fixin it".Dillon has always had the greatest customer service in the business and the stuff works great.I plan on getting another 550 just for .223 when i get a chance.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I'm a fan of the Dillon 550B. Highly recommend buying through Brian Enos. He showed me some ways to save money by not ordering duplicate [arts that come with the caliber conversions. I've had few problems and those were my fault, not the equipment. I broke some parts (again, my fault) and they sent me replacements, no charge. I do use Lee dies in the Dillon with no problem. I'm sure the other big names are fine, I have no experience with them, but for now, I sticking with Blue.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The 550b Dillon (and the 650) have a great advantage of being able to keep all the dies in a single changable plate. If you switch calibers to load often, I think that is an advantage. I have only had the Lee LOAD MASTER progressive, which I hated so much I GAVE it to the brother inlaw that I didn't like. I replaced it with the Dillon 550 and never looked back. The lock and load Hornady looks like a nice system, and I have not actually used one, but it looks like a little more involved to change over calibers.

johnson8861

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    the Haute
    I got an XL650 for Christmas, and have yet to take it out of the box. This is also my first press. I did a lot of research before telling my wife what I wanted for Christmas.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    Wow a dillon 650 for christmas you must have been a really good boy this year.I thought I was good when opened my A.R.M.s scope mount for my FAL.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    It's a tossup between the Dillon 650 and Hornady L-N-L. Same quality, customer service, end product. I have the Hornady and have been very happy with the press.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I have a Dillon Square B press that is very reliable and works great. Limited to the smaller cartridges. I also have a Hornady LNL AP that works great. Able to do a much greater range of cartridges than the Dillon. I don't think you can go wrong with either Dillon or Hornady. Just get one and keep reloading. Good luck.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    There's a good link in this thread with a comparison
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/142870-dillon_v_rcbs_v.html

As a followup-, my LNL has somewhere north of 10,000 rounds off of it since that thread. I have not had any occasion to use hornady CS, since nothing has broken. I just added the case feeder a few days ago and could not be happier with the setup.

My only beef, and this goes to AllenM's point about ejection, is that the shellplates needed a quick polish where they hold the shell casing. Once you do that, the ejection issue is gone and it'll eject anything you put in there.
    Small issue; 10 minutes with a dremel and some Flitz took care of it, and I saved quite a few bucks over the Dillon 650, the comparable machine from team blue.

Same with me. I have a case feed that will be here Monday or Tuesday. Mr.Bullet feed later this month.

Huzurabndaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Peru
    The best thing I ever bought was my 650. I load a lot of ammo for cowboy shooting. It made loading fun again and not my part time job. Also Down by the Tracks sells Dillon stuff and has the presses on site so you can look at them.

Top Bottom