Progressive presses --- what's good these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I was just sitting here thinking....

Years ago I got a Dillon 650 and have been loading happily along. It was premium priced compared to the other brands back then, but the consensus was that it was head and shoulders above in terms of quality and reliability. Well, it is still demanding top dollar. What has the competition done in this time? Are the fully progressive press offerings from the 'other guys' gaining ground quality wise?

I'm in no need of a new press, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion to hear what people are using and how competition in this arena is developing. Anyone have any experience they want to share?

Thanks,
    Brian

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have a Dillon 550B and an RCBS Pro2000. I've loaded a lot more on the Dillon than the RCBS at this point, and I do think I prefer the Dillon to the RCBS; but the RCBS has some nice features to it and I could see how other people might prefer it to the Dillon. I think if I can completely resolve the tendency of the RCBS to sling powder out of small caliber cases when it auto-indexes (it needs a nice aftermarket roller bearing retrofit kit I suspect, like is readily available for the Dillon, but I might experiment by cutting a coil off the ball bearing detent spring that causes it to pop into place under each station quite vigorously), then with its extra station I will have a hard time picking a favorite between the two.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think you'll find that Profire has a preference for DILLON but they sell the Hornady LNL AP too.

Years ago I had an RCBS progressive and it was good. I've had the Hornady for almost 2 years now and I'm very happy with how it works and its versatility.

TakLine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    IndyNorthSide
    Just curious rockhopper - sounds like you had the Dillon longer. What was your main reason for getting the RCBS? Other than the "more toys" principle?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I used a friends Lee Load Master to load up 1k rounds of handgun ammo. While it doesn't compare to a Dillon, it's about half the cost. IMO the answer to which one to buy would have to be by whomever is spending the money and what they are willing to give up to save the money. The Load Master didn't have a case feeder, bullet feeder, or any other fancy gadgets, but it got the job done a lot faster than I could have on my single stage. If I had the money and were loading more than 1k pistol rounds for a summer, I think I'd definitely go with a Dillon, but if you are only loading 2k rounds a year on it, I'd save the money and buy a Load Master or something at half the cost and spend the other half on more components.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I love it when I'm pitched a slow one right down the middle....

DILLON!!!

I have the RL550B. Dillon is still the best out there. The Hornady is a close second IMHO.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Those who love blue swear by them, but I have seen MANY discussions about how lots of owners have had to use the not BS guarantee a time or two.
    Those who love red swear by them, again same as above.
    Those who love green swear by them, yet again same as above.

A couple of things I've noticed about INGO.
    1. There are a disproportionate number of dedicated Lee fans that one usually doesn't see many other places.
    2. There is a vacuumous lack of love for the RCBS that is quite common on other forums.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I have a Dillon 550B and an RCBS Pro2000. I've loaded a lot more on the Dillon than the RCBS at this point, and I do think I prefer the Dillon to the RCBS; but the RCBS has some nice features to it and I could see how other people might prefer it to the Dillon. I think if I can completely resolve the tendency of the RCBS to sling powder out of small caliber cases when it auto-indexes (it needs a nice aftermarket roller bearing retrofit kit I suspect, like is readily available for the Dillon, but I might experiment by cutting a coil off the ball bearing detent spring that causes it to pop into place under each station quite vigorously), then with its extra station I will have a hard time picking a favorite between the two.

Can I have that when you get it fixed?:cool:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Just curious rockhopper - sounds like you had the Dillon longer. What was your main reason for getting the RCBS? Other than the "more toys" principle?

I was extraordinarily fortunate to have a forum member here (who I won't name in case he wants to stay anonymous, but who can identify himself if he wishes :)) gift me his Pro2000 that wasn't exactly what he was looking for. It was an amazing act of generosity, and is a testament to just how excellent a group of members we have here on INGO. In any case, that was how I acquired my RCBS; not through any perceived failing of the Dillon. Interestingly I've also run several Lee Pro1000s, and firmly believe there is a place for them in reloading circles, too. They are ingeniously designed to be effective and inexpensive. They do require someone who is willing to tinker a bit. When set up well, they are exceptionally fast machines, easily outrunning my Dillon and my RCBS, although I can get close on the RCBS. Different strokes for different folks.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My second press is a Lee turret. It definitely works. Actually, it was my first press, then I upgraded to the Dillon and now I use the lee for rifle cases and some smaller volume stuff that I can't justify the cost of a conversion for my dillon press. I like it and have and will continue to recommend Lee equipment as a good value for those getting started.

I have been quite enamored with the Hornaday Lock 'n' load collet system. I have tried to justify to myself getting their single stage press for the purpose of exploring this system, but I've yet to do it. Is it as slick as it seems?

And just to re-confirm - I don't need something better than my 650. I'm just looking for some good perspective and a good conversation.

-Brian

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    My second press is a Lee turret. It definitely works. Actually, it was my first press, then I upgraded to the Dillon and now I use the lee for rifle cases and some smaller volume stuff that I can't justify the cost of a conversion for my dillon press. I like it and have and will continue to recommend Lee equipment as a good value for those getting started.

I have been quite enamored with the Hornaday Lock 'n' load collet system. I have tried to justify to myself getting their single stage press for the purpose of exploring this system, but I've yet to do it. Is it as slick as it seems?

And just to re-confirm - I don't need something better than my 650. I'm just looking for some good perspective and a good conversation.

-Brian

I use the hornady single-stage. The collet system is great, easiest way to change the dies there is.

theslasher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Knox
    I used a friends Lee Load Master to load up 1k rounds of handgun ammo. While it doesn't compare to a Dillon, it's about half the cost. IMO the answer to which one to buy would have to be by whomever is spending the money and what they are willing to give up to save the money. The Load Master didn't have a case feeder, bullet feeder, or any other fancy gadgets, but it got the job done a lot faster than I could have on my single stage. If I had the money and were loading more than 1k pistol rounds for a summer, I think I'd definitely go with a Dillon, but if you are only loading 2k rounds a year on it, I'd save the money and buy a Load Master or something at half the cost and spend the other half on more components.

$225 from Natchez and yes it includes a case feeder with pistol calibers and dies. That makes it 1/4 the cost of a dillon.

Top Bottom