• Total voters

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Okay, I give up and I don't want to hear, "I told you so!" I need a press with greater capacity than I'm able to achieve with my Lee turret press. I absolutely love the press, but I reload, stock, and shoot a pretty large quantity of 9mm, .38, .357, .40, and .45. So, I need a time-saver.

Because I currently have so much equipment for the Lee press, I'm wondering if I should purchase the Lee 1000 and if I could use the dies I currently own? This would be the only reason I would go with the Lee progressive press. If not, it looks like I'll basically be starting from from scratch with dies and everything else, unless my equipment can be used with other manufacturers. If that's the case, would you guys recommend selling off my entire set-up or just keeping it?

Lastly, if I do go with a new manufacturer, should I go blue or green? :D

Westside is not allowed to take part in the poll! :draw:

Last edited:

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I voted bacon because you don't have hornady. I have a hornady lnl AP. All your dies will work in any press. Changeovers are cheap for hornady. $20 for a set of die bushings, change out your metering insert and your done. You could also go more expensive and get another powder measure for each caliber but if you use the same powder I would change the insert. I think they are $10 for the inserts, $80 for an entire measure. You'll also need a shellplate, alot of the calibers share a plate.

Now for the negatives. The press ships covered in a packing grease that I think was made by the devil. It was a pain to clean off but I got it done. The frame under the primer seating punch is soft, I produced a divot within 50 rounds of ammo. That's really all I got.

Part availability can suck at times, I ended up ordering from 3 vendors to get everything I needed to start with it.

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I just bought a lee loadmaster and really like it ..but it does take some tinkering to keep it running. I too had a turret press and loved it but wanted to speed up the operation. If your on a budget and don't mind a little mechanical tinkering the Loadmaster is great and yes all the dies will interchange. But I tend to think that with the amount of reloading you sound like you do and if you got the Funds, maybe the Dillion would be the best choice for you. If you buy one I don't think you can get any better press.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Buy Blue! You won't spend hours tinkering with it, trying to get "acceptable" ammo. Ever have a problem, give em a call. GREAT customer service and LIFETIME warranty. If you reload enough to need a progressive, you'll reload enough for the Dillon to pay for itself.

My dad has a Dillon 300 that he has been using for... decades? Ever walked into a commercial reloading facility and seen anything but Blue?

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    You should totaly just get rid of that old thing...I will take it off your hands:D

I just started myself, but I am pretty sure the dies are interchangable with just about all the other presses. 7x14 thread I think is the standard. (unless you go with the Hornaday LnL, I dont know if they take the standard size or not as they have a quick lock die change) I also believe the shell holders are also (but that may not apply to you)

I think the pro 1000 is only a three hole progressive so keep that in mind, as your current one may be a 4 hole. The loadmaster is their 5 hole I believe. :twocents:

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I voted blue because the reputation for customer support. Buy once cry once... conversion kits can be a little salty. That would be the only drawback to a progressive

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am sure that you could do some side by side comparisons.
    I would be glad to let you go through the paces with mine and I am sure you can find some one to let you test their Dillon.
    RCBS not to popular

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I don't want to hear, "I told you so!"

Que, glad to see you are having "Growing Pains". You will find the move to "Blue" relatively easy.
    You can still use your Lee dies, until you replace with Dillon, one die set at a time.

I'm sure that Andrew can get you all set up when you are ready..Bill.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1. Definitely keep the Lee Classic Turret.

2. The Lee dies will fit other presses.

3. Read this: http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

4. I've had good luck with my Lee Loadmaster and with most powders (not Unique) in the Lee Pro Auto Disk (definitely get the PRO auto disk if you decide to go Lee). Despite what you may have heard, the Loadmaster is NOT hard to set up or adjust. I do NOT have priming problems.

5. I got the Loadmaster and all the stuff to do caliber changeovers for less than one caliber in the Hornady LNL-AP. (If you already have dies, all you need is a turret ($10), shellplate ($20) and the kit for the other primer size, maybe. To make changeovers really easy, get a Pro Auto Disk for each caliber.)

6. My buddy switched all of his Dillon stuff for a LNL-AP. Not everyone would, just one man's opinion.

7. Instead of getting a bunch of Dillon tool heads and other essential accoutrements, you could get a whole 'nuther Lee Loadmaster for each caliber.

8. I don't recommend the Pro 1000.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I went with Dillon many years ago and don't regret it at all. Hornady has finally got their progressive equipment working well enough to now be considered a viable alternative. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with one of the two big boys on the block. There are die-hard Lee fans that will tell you how great their progressive works, but they are outnumbered many times over by satisfied Dillon owners and Hornady owners. Dillon equipment, because of its popularity, holds its value if you every want to sell it.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Que - I'd keep the turret if I were you and add a progressive. Your current dies will work with whatever you upgrade to.

I went through this not too long ago and bought a Hornady Lock N Load Progressive. I love it. You are welcome to come over and check it out if you want to.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Don't get rid of the turret, you'll want it for either rifle cartridges, or to just to leave as a dedicated caliber. Or to work up a new load. Your dies are fine, so long as you don't choose a Dillon Square Deal. If I were in your shoes, I would be considering either buying 3 LoadMasters (or Pro1000s) and leaving them set up on each individual caliber. Or buying the Dillon Andrew has listed that comes with all the caliber conversion plates you are going to need. You'll end up spending about the same amount of money either way (more for the Dillon if you buy it new). Leaving the Lees set up on individual calibers takes away almost all the tweaking that leaves a sour taste in some peoples mouths with the Lee equipment (once set up correctly they work fine; changing calibers on them is easy to do but will have you re-tweaking them to get them running smoothly again). Buying the Dillon guarantees you resale value, reduces the snide, condescending comments from Blue fanbois, and gives you an unquestionable smoother operating machine. I have Lee Pro1000s and I have a Dillon 550B (and a Lyman All-American, so trust me, keep the turret press), they all work. If you believe yourself to be mechanically "challenged" however, you may be better off getting the Dillon. The Hornady LNL has a good rep, but I have never even see one run, so I can't comment on them.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yeah, I forgot to add Hornady, but it looks like I will be exploring that one along with the Dillon. I may hit a couple of you up for a demo if you don't mind.

Top Bottom