• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place for this thread so if a mod could move it that'd be great.

I bought a Safari safe on Black Friday at the Menards in Lafayette, Indiana. I received no keys and then went back to Menards to see if I could exchange it for one with keys. They said it wasn't their problem and that I had to contact the manufacturer for any problems concerning the safe. I then called Cannon but got rhe voicemail saying there would be no one in the office until the Monday after thanksgiving. I called back that very next Monday and no matter hoe many voicemails I left or what department I tried to get a hold of, no one would answer. I then called on Tuesday and finally spoke with someone. They told me they had no keys in stock but that I would have a key by December 10th. Today is December 14th and I have still not received a key so I called again. I was transferred to level 2 and told that they hadn't even received keys yet and don't really have a clue when they will be in. I was told it could be a day, it could be a month. For 3 weeks now I have had this safe with no keys and no date on when I could get a set of keys. I'm beginning to think this company is a joke. Wondering why I have this nearly 400lb paper weight taking up space in my house?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    can you call a locksmith to open the safe and make keys

Yeah, don't know if the local locksmith is just lazy or if those are average prices. He says he can't make keys for a safe, not legal since the company is still in business. Said that he could try to open the safe and replace the lock so I'd have a new set of keys. Said it could cost a few hundred $$ depending on how long it takes to open it.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i would stay on them about it. i bought the same one and gladly i got one with keys. but if you cant get anything done then i would still have the lock smith put in a new lock. you wouldnt want the key pad to go bad or batteries go dead and then you cant get your guns out. wouldnt want a shtf moment and not be ready because of a stupid key.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I would call my credit card company & say I'm not paying for the safe, watch how quickly the seller will have a set of keys for you;)

Though about that for a second until I realized that doesn't make sense. I bought the safe from Menards so cancelling the payment to Menards won't get me keys from Cannon any faster. Cannon already sold it to menards so they aren't really worried about being paid for it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Though about that for a second until I realized that doesn't make sense. I bought the safe from Menards so cancelling the payment to Menards won't get me keys from Cannon any faster. Cannon already sold it to menards so they aren't really worried about being paid for it.
    You think Menards want a safe without keys:n00b: they'll tell Cannon to take back the safe:D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    you wouldnt want the key pad to go bad or batteries go dead and then you cant get your guns out. wouldnt want a shtf moment and not be ready because of a stupid key.

--tin foil hat--
    In a EMP SHTF situation he is still going to be in trouble with any type of "electronic lock" device. :D

I would call my credit card company & say I'm not paying for the safe, watch how quickly the seller will have a set of keys for you;)

You think Menards want a safe without keys:n00b: they'll tell Cannon to take back the safe:D

^This!
    Does menards have a "no safe return" policy? I'm not sure but if not I say return the safe or else let your CC handle it. Advise that you bought a safe that does not have all the parts to it.

Sorry this has occured to you. I went the route of Johnsons Safe (made here in Indiana) and it was well worth it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._safe_to_real_pink_cadillac_johnson_safe.html
    -Jedi

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i actually just called Muncie locksmith here in muncie indiana and they told me the same thing. they cant make you a key for that lock but they can do a new lock and key and they said it was only a $15 service fee and prices would start at $35 and would in no way exceed 150. just wanted to see if i got the same answer from a differant smith. sounds like that guy is either really lazy or outrageous on prices.

and i am almost postive when sold it said on the ticket not to lose the key or code to get in because they would not be able to replace it. you would have to go to cannon. dont quote me but i think thats what it said.

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    i actually just called Muncie locksmith here in muncie indiana and they told me the same thing. they cant make you a key for that lock but they can do a new lock and key and they said it was only a $15 service fee and prices would start at $35 and would in no way exceed 150. just wanted to see if i got the same answer from a differant smith. sounds like that guy is either really lazy or outrageous on prices.

Was that price just for a lock and key or did that include opening the safe to replace the lock? It did say in the owners manual not to lose the key or pin. Said if you need replacement keys that you'd have to fax them the serial number and copy of the receipt. If you call cannon, they don't ask you any proof of ownership questions. Just tell them what kind of safe you have and they will mail you a key.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Was that price just for a lock and key or did that include opening the safe to replace the lock? It did say in the owners manual not to lose the key or pin. Said if you need replacement keys that you'd have to fax them the serial number and copy of the receipt. If you call cannon, they don't ask you any proof of ownership questions. Just tell them what kind of safe you have and they will mail you a key.

So you don't have to provide a serial #? Does that mean they are all keyed the same? Seems like they would have to have a serial number. If not, what would stop you from getting a duplicate of someone else's key to solve your problem.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    So you don't have to provide a serial #? Does that mean they are all keyed the same? Seems like they would have to have a serial number. If not, what would stop you from getting a duplicate of someone else's key to solve your problem.

No serial number but there is another piece of info you have to give them. Each safe should take a different key. So easier than cannon claims it to be but still have to provide something.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would suggest going to their web page and point this thread. Point out that thousands of Hoosier gun owners are getting the impression that they don't service their products. I would go to their Facebook page and post your experience. The squeaky wheel really does get the grease
    Contact Us | Cannon Safe

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    I thought these guys were into customer service.

Get somebody with a smart phone to vidieo the following.
    Load the safe up drive to Menards park in front of their door contact the manager. Ask him where he would like HIS defective product.
    Inform him that if Menards did not exchange it for a serviceable item at once that you will stop payment with your credit card company and never spend another cent in his store.
    If anything other than" I will have your new safe delivered at once, please accept this gift card along with my apology " escapes his pie hole stop payment and make him UTUBE's newest star sponcered by Menards.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought the same safe, at the same store, on the same day. Mine, as well as the one my brother bought both had keys.

I spend a BOAT-LOAD of money at that very store each and every week as a contractor. EVERYONE in that store knows who I am.
    I can't promise anything, but contact me with some info. I know who's ass to light a fire under there.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason you should be treated like this.

BTW- The other posters were right. Call your credit card company and ask about canceling that payment to Menards. I know Visa has a "Buyer protection" clause for just this type of situation.

Woodro29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    So you cant take it back because it was missing parts? You cant exchange it either knowing it was missing parts? I would think Menards would back that up better or let them know what its going to cost you to make it right and have them reimburse you for it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Note to self: Never buy a safe or other large $ item at Menards.

I'd direct them & the manufacturer to this thread where 15,000 of your closest friends (and likely customers of Menards and definitely a group interested in the same type of products that this manufacturer is in business to sell) are hearing about what poor customer service Menards has, and how they should all go to Lowes now instead.

That may get them moving a bit.

Top Bottom