• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lwilli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I just made a purchase of a Colt M4 22LR. I thought it would be a lot of fun plinking with this gun, but it has proved to be just the opposite. Right out of the box shooting Winchester rounds it jammed nearly every other round. I switched to Remington and then Federal, but the problem persisted. I started adjusting the bolt speed which has helped tremendously in firing the Federal rounds. It still jams, but just not as often. Also, the magazine has started to drop out of the gun without being released. When you re-insert the mag you can feel and hear it engage, but you can easily pull the mag out of the gun without hitting the release on the gun.

I am wondering if this hasn't been a contributing factor all along. As you fire, the mag could be dropping down creating a feed problem. I have had several rounds distorted as the bolt closes and catches the round on the side. I am not a gunsmith and all of this is speculation. I was hoping that someone on this board could offer some suggestions or at least point out some possibilities that I have overlooked. I would truly appreciate any helpful comments.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I was hoping that someone on this board could offer some suggestions or at least point out some possibilities that I have overlooked. I would truly appreciate any helpful comments.

Are you aware that Marc already started a thread on this?
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/108960-colt_ar22_problems.html

If the bolt speed adjustment isn't cutting it, try a different mag. If it wants to fall out as well, see if the mag catch tension can be adjusted (as it can on a regular AR). Failing that, return it for warranty service.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

lwilli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Thanks for your suggestions. I think sending it back for warranty repair would be the best solution.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Man, I've read quite a few of these "Colt M4-22" horror stories lately.

I'm glad I went with the cheaper S&W M&P 15-22. I have had two of them now and they've both eaten all the federal, winchester and remington ammunition I've put through them.

My suggestion, get it fixed from the factory then sell it to someone for enough to buy yourself a M&P 15-22.

lwilli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Man, I've read quite a few of these "Colt M4-22" horror stories lately.

I'm glad I went with the cheaper S&W M&P 15-22. I have had two of them now and they've both eaten all the federal, winchester and remington ammunition I've put through them.

My suggestion, get it fixed from the factory then sell it to someone for enough to buy yourself a M&P 15-22.

I like your suggestion by far the best! If I had known when I purchased this gun that it would present such problems I would have opted for the Smith & Wesson. If I can't get it fixed I think it will be the next target instead of the gun.

lwilli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I contacted UMAREX USA in Arizona. They handle the warranty repair for this particular model and they said to just send it back. I just happend to mention to the guy that if it should return as a S&W M&P 15-22 that would be just fine...I don't think he appreciated my brand of humor.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    my umarex/colt m16 jammed on me too. called the factory. they said turn the adjustment all the way in, then out 9 turns. never had a malfunction since.

Top Bottom