• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    Well, this was my Grandfather's gun. It's a model 70 22-250. It hasn't been shot it 15+ years. I can't get the bolt to open. The bolt handle moves up and down like it wants to, but it won't open completely. It looks like there is some rust between the bolt and part that shows when the gun is cocked. The safety is in the fire position and won't move out of that position. It's seriously almost like I'm not hitting a button or something, but I don't think I'm missing anything. Unfortunately, I don't have my camera right now, so I can't take any pics.

Anyone have any advice?????

INGOer in need:D

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    If you are sure it is unloaded, apply rearward pressure to the trigger while you are raising the bolt.

Potentially, you could have a severely warped stock binding the action - loosen up the action screws and see what happens - better yet, pull the barreled action out of the stock and inspect the trigger, sear and related springs.

Don't force anything - if nothing else get some penetrating oil and soak the shroud/safety lever/cocking piece for a couple of days while working it periodically - with the barreled action out of the stock.

Just reread this - how far "open" is it going, far enough to see into the chamber?

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    If you are sure it is unloaded, apply rearward pressure to the trigger while you are raising the bolt.

Potentially, you could have a severely warped stock binding the action - loosen up the action screws and see what happens - better yet, pull the barreled action out of the stock and inspect the trigger, sear and related springs.

Don't force anything - if nothing else get some penetrating oil and soak the shroud/safety lever/cocking piece for a couple of days while working it periodically - with the barreled action out of the stock.

Just reread this - how far "open" is it going, far enough to see into the chamber?

No, you cannot see the chamber. I can remove the stock no problem, so I don't think the problem is a warped stock.

The bolt will move approximately 1/8 of a turn or so.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The bolt will move approximately 1/8 of a turn or so.

With the bolt open as far as it goes:

Does the gap between the rear receiver bridge look like this (a nickel won't fit):

IMG_0319.jpg

Or this (you could fit two, almost three nickels):

IMG_0321.jpg

How far is the cocking piece protruding from the back of the shroud?

(In the fired position, it will be about .150" recessed, in the fully cocked position about .200" protruding - in the "half cock" where I suspect you are stuck it should be about even with the bolt as far as you can move it upwards.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Ok - with the action out of the stock - pull the trigger, you should then be able to push up on the front of the sear, allowing the cocking piece on the bolt to override it. You'll need another hand to try to open the bolt while you're pushing up on the sear. There's quite a bit of spring pressure, it won't feel good on your thumb. It'll look like this:

IMG_0324.jpg

If that isn't working and you're comfortable doing so - knock the bolt release pin out of it, note the position of the spring. That will allow the removal of the trigger. This picture shows the spring and the pin, you'll be driving it out from the other side of the receiver.

IMG_0322.jpg

Once the trigger is out, you can just push on the sear by the spring in the front so it will drop, allowing the cocking piece to override and pull the bolt out. If it won't move - there's your problem, drive the other pin out (the big one) and it'll drop right out.

Otherwise, do you know how to disassemble the bolt once its out?

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    Still can;t get it out, but what do you mean by

"If it won't move - there's your problem, drive the other pin out (the big one) and it'll drop right out"

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    Got the Sear out and still no luck. Did you get what I meant when I said the lever won't clear the receiver? The bolt won't twist but about a 1/8 of a turn.

kup

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    NW IN
    Remove the scope base screws if they are installed. I bought a broken M70 where the bolt wouldn't close , one of the front scope base screws was too long.

kup

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    In the bolt shroud, there is a locking detent that protrudes with the safety lever in the safe position - it engages a recess in the bolt body.

If that were to rust/freeze up it would allow a total of about 3/8" travel at the end of the bolt handle.

Just for clarification - here is what the safety lever in FIRE position looks like, the shiny detent mentioned above, and the recess in the bolt it fits into.

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Apply penetrating oil liberally to the safety lever, and between the bolt body and shroud, for that matter wherever you can get into the shroud - the detent and the locking pin are located just below the "FIRE" engraving on the shroud. Keep trying to work the safety lever and the bolt. I don't see any way to get any sort of tool in there to free the detent between the bolt body and shroud. Kroil is your friend.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    You can't see the lock even when it is working correctly with the shroud installed.

Mark Penrod is the man for a Model 70.

Mark Penrod (Precision Rifle)
    Penrod Precision
    312 College Ave
    N Manchester, IN 46962
    Phone: 260-982-8385
    E-mail: markpenrod@kconline.com

Top Bottom