• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I grew up as a United Methodist, but I haven't heard anything about their statements on guns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    UM has been anti gun as long as I can remember (had clergy in fam).
    Never really pushy on it, just a statement and move along kinda thing.
    Dunno what they've been trying to spin the last decade or so.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

6) call upon all governments of the world in which there is a United Methodist presence to establish national bans on ownership by the general public of handguns, assault weapons, automatic weapon conversion kits, and weapons that cannot be detected by traditionally used metal-detection devices

Wow. Screw them and the horse they rode in on.:noway: This BS is copyrighted 2004. Can't believe this is the first I heard of it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I know UMs who are "pro gun" (as the OP put it). However, since the UMC's form of government is top down episcopalian, so I'm not sure what the laity can do about it other than leave.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Screw um.

;)

IIRC they had at least an official one liner anti gun statement back in the 80's.
    Never heard a sermon on it or defense though.

But our minister was pretty cool.

He retired and the new guy sucked. Many quit going.

Last edited:

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I am United Methodist, born and raised. I know there's a general policy that has been around for quite a while, but it has not translated into much of anything. Generally speaking I take a "don't ask, don't tell" approach to the church.

I carry there regularly, even when our band plays for the service. :)

mcafeesd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana / Corydon
    The United Methodist Church as a denomination has been active since the 70s in trying to push an antigun agenda. But as some have said they have, on the local level, had a nothing to see here, move along kind of group. However, the upper echelon and many of our boards have become much more vocal about their agenda. My question strikes to why. If we at the local level fail to take them to task then over time they push their agenda and we unknowingly lend our name to the activity. They organize within the structure of our denomination. We do not. Maybe it is time that we do. Reclaim our heritage rather than abandoning it to the progressives.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Wow. Screw them and the horse they rode in on.:noway: This BS is copyrighted 2004. Can't believe this is the first I heard of it.

#5 is just as bad. This was passed in 2000, I have not heard anything coming out of the church and I have been a Methodist for over 60 years. The gay issue gets much more press within the church. Somebody needs to inform the church on the other side of the statistics issues. Stats on the murder rates of areas with gun control versus areas without gun control, etc.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I understand your point. I may have to ask my church a few questions. My experience has been that the local churches don't pay a whole lot of attention to what the higher level organization says, which is probably why I haven't gotten very excited about it. I can't recall anyone ever mentioning firearms except in reference to current events.

Now I'm curious. :)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    #5 is just as bad.

Yeah, but #6 just rubbed me the wrong way. By calling upon ALL governments of the world in which they maintain a presence to BAN x, y, and z... Well, they maintain a presence here don't they?:dunno:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    #5 is just as bad. This was passed in 2000, I have not heard anything coming out of the church and I have been a Methodist for over 60 years. The gay issue gets much more press within the church. Somebody needs to inform the church on the other side of the statistics issues. Stats on the murder rates of areas with gun control versus areas without gun control, etc.

I was born into, and raised in a UM family, never heard the first condemning comment about guns, and the responsible ownership and use of them in any way. Kinda funny, really, since they are so right wing in many other areas. Wander if they have put much thought into alienating just about every single American, no matter what way their political feelings might sway. Sounds like a sure fire way to run a religion into the ground.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Sounds like we need to start a Christian shooting team.

How about named - "Shoot for Christ"
    We could use devil targets.

I'm actually serious.

:evilangel:

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    I really like the slogan at the top of their website... "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors"

Seems they lost track of the Open Minds part. Didn't see much scripture in there to support the position.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Let me preface my remarks on the subject by station up front that I enjoy and respect my UM brothers in the Lord. However, they have the same problem that many denominations have. The church folk in the pews have purposefully turned a blind eye to the workings and mechanizations of those who control the governance of the church. There are many reasons for this, but a good example is the voter who can excuse a politician who is "10 percent wrong" because he is 90 percent right. Better to live with the 10 percent than to get someone else who may be 20, or 30 percent wrong.

Many in the pews do the same. Better to stay a Methodist, or a Lutheran, or a Baptist, where you agree with the majority even though there is a minority that you don't agree with. You just learn to ignore the minority and it becomes out of sight, out of mind.

In the '80s the church folk in the Southern Baptist and the Missouri Synod Lutheran got tired of this attitude and threw many of the those who were in power out the door. The conservatives took back the seminaries where much of this thought was learned and passed on.

There are several renewal groups in the UM church that are working to do the same to the their leadership. Should be easy to find.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom