• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Can anyone send me a link on what the Indiana laws are for shooting on private property? Or just shooting outdoors in general. My in-laws own a 100 acres in the middle of Morgan county and we go out there and plink for hours, but I half to admit, I'm pretty ignorant and negligent when it comes to knowing the laws about that. I ask the question the other day "What if" the DNR or someone of that caliber showed up? 7 guy's and 9 girls looked at me like a deer in head lights. So any info would be appreciated.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    100 yards from the nearest dwelling is what I remember off the top of my head.

Other than that your good to go unless you shoot someone or something.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    100 yards from the nearest dwelling is what I remember off the top of my head.
    If it is outside of the town or city limits you should be GTG

Neither of these is necessarily true.

You would have to check with your COUNTY regulations. Some require a minimum lot size (like 1 acre) some require distances to structures. The only way to know what is legal for you is to check your own county regs.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I also think there is somthing about shooting across roads. Im not sure the law but we have had the law come out a few times and they merely asked if there was a safe backstop. I think the law says your GTG as long as the projectile doesnt leave your property. But, Im not sure, looking forward to seeing the law myself

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I find it interesting that I can take out my dad's M1A and shoot it on his property, as long as I'm not "hunting" with it (i.e. plinking at deer).

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Neither of these is necessarily true.

You would have to check with your COUNTY regulations. Some require a minimum lot size (like 1 acre) some require distances to structures. The only way to know what is legal for you is to check your own county regs.

I think mine has to do with hunting. Im too lazy to look up the regs.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    +1 on checking with your county regs. I would do that to be safe. Also I would suggest making sure that you have a good backstop for safety reasons.:ingo:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Another +1 for what Melensdad said: it's the local ordinances that need to be checked out first. Also would ditto the suggestion that you have a solid backstop, even if it means you'd have to make one. A day's rental on a Bocat and load of fill dirt are cheaper (and a bunch less hassle and grief) than any lawsuit, IMO.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Threshold question is how is the land zoned?

To check zoning I'd check with Morgan County Area Plan or Recorder's Office.

If zoning permits, then:

1. Is your backstop sufficient to keep everything on your property? If not a front end loader is really cool to operate, or put those kids to work.

2. Are you shooting at hours that are unlikely to disturb your neighbors?

3. Have you talked to the neighbors and told them about your range?

If DNR shows up? To check your license to shoot tin cans?:D

If DNR shows up, you can invite him to shoot and then for lunch or ask him to leave. If he's got a warrant, then as the Grateful Dead say, you might as well come on in. Go along peacefully, we'll pass the hat at INGO for bail.:D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Good God, you don't need a law or regulation to ALLOW you to do things, including shooting. If there's no law against it, you can do it.:rolleyes:

You going to search through every federal law, state law, county and township ordinance and home owners association hand book every time you pick up a gun?

Do what you want and if any one uninvited shows up, point them toward the road.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It's illegal to shoot across water too.

A lot of people were breaking the law there at that SKS shoot then if I remember right.:rolleyes: Wasn't there a little creek running across there right in front of the firing line?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I shot across lakes alot.

I love skeet shooting across water. Shooting turtles in the head with a 22 is fun too.
    Oops almost forgot shooting carp with the sks in the fields when the river gets over the banks.:)

ak keep the second

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hah this is the first time that crossed my mind, we did all shoot across that little creek. What constitutes as a body of water though? And does it matter if its on private property?
    A lot of people were breaking the law there at that SKS shoot then if I remember right.:rolleyes: Wasn't there a little creek running across there right in front of the firing line?

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu5gv9A2zc0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu5gv9A2zc0[/ame]

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Ive often wondered if someone is trespassing and you are plinking on your own property and they accidentally get hit while on your property. Is the property owner liable? Just curious because I have caught people trespassing more than once and warned them something like this could happen.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Ive often wondered if someone is trespassing and you are plinking on your own property and they accidentally get hit while on your property. Is the property owner liable? Just curious because I have caught people trespassing more than once and warned them something like this could happen.

IANAL, but that sounds like a case of liability to me.

Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Top Bottom