• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I am new to reloading. Actually, have not yet made the jump into it, but I am planning to buy equipment and get started before long.

Can anyone clarify what the is the difference between small pistol and large pistol primers? Is there a rule of thumb as to which would be used for certain calibers? Or is it more dependent upon what type of powder you are going to use and in what amount?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The pocket for the primer that you find in the brass case for pistol ammunition is either sized "small" or "large". Once you look at a cartridge it'll make more sense to you, but in general the smaller centerfire pistol calibers (.40S&W, 9mm, .380) use "small" primers; the larger centerfire pistol calibers (10mm, .45ACP) use "large primers (although there is small primer .45ACP brass floating around). Your reloading manuals will specify the size of primer to be used, and sometimes will specify the particular primer a loading was tested with; but "small" and "large" refer to the pocket size, explicitly. This is a very simplistic answer and I'd recommend you read something like "The ABC's of Reloading", or the "Lee" reloading book (or even better, take a class from Andrew at Profire) before proceeding much further because the info I just gave is only safe if used with a certain amount of knowledge regarding the reloading process.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Depends on the brass.

9mm takes small pistol primers.

Most 45 takes large pistol primers. Federal and Blazer made some with small primer pockets which is a pain when it gets mixed in with the normal .45 brass.

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    There are also standard primers and magnum primers. And primers are differentiated for rifle and pistol (there are shotgun and 50BMG primers too, but let's not go there).

Small Pistol Primer
    Small Pistol Magnum Primer
    Large Pistol Primer
    Large Pistol Magnum Primer
    Small Rifle Primer
    Large Rifle Primer
    Large Rifle Magnum Primer

There are also subcategories for some of these such as:
    Military (harder primers requiring a solid strike to fire)
    Bench/Match (tighter tolerances to insure consistency)

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am new to reloading. Actually, have not yet made the jump into it, but I am planning to buy equipment and get started before long.

Can anyone clarify what the is the difference between small pistol and large pistol primers? Is there a rule of thumb as to which would be used for certain calibers? Or is it more dependent upon what type of powder you are going to use and in what amount?
    The diameter of the primer is the difference, Small are .175, Large .210 diameter. The post by rockhopper46038 above had very good advice - you really need to do some reading, and or training before you start reloading. I would recommend you purchase at least 1 reloading manual prior to purchasing any equipment. I would recommend either Hornady or Speer reloading manuals. Reloading is pretty safe as long as you follow the basic rules, but can be pretty dangerous to you, and your firearms if you don't understand what you need to do, and what is dangerous.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There are also standard primers and magnum primers. And primers are differentiated for rifle and pistol (there are shotgun and 50BMG primers too, but let's not go there).

Small Pistol Primer
    Small Pistol Magnum Primer
    Large Pistol Primer
    Large Pistol Magnum Primer
    Small Rifle Primer
    Large Rifle Primer
    Large Rifle Magnum Primer

There are also subcategories for some of these such as:
    Military (harder primers requiring a solid strike to fire)
    Bench/Match (tighter tolerances to insure consistency)

What's it mean when the Winchester primers I bought state "Large Pistol For standard or Magnum Pistol Loads"? Are they magnum primers or standard primers?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Winchesters have been engineered to be tough enough to use on either standard (like .45acp) or Magnum (like .44mag) reloads. They work well in either, no worries.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Winchester Large Pistol Primers were designed by Winchester for use in either Standard or Magnum application. Many people say they are a little "hotter" than other standard primers. They work well for me in .45ACP, but I don't have any Magnum pistol calibers so I can't tell you how they do in a Magnum application. NOTE: Winchester Small pistol primers come in BOTH Standard and Magnum versions, unlike the Large Pistol primers)

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for all of the input/advice. I definitely plan to get some manuals and do my homework before I get started. I like the idea of taking a class. I need to contact Profire to see when their classes are offered as I am not local to that area.

I have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube, but don't want to jump in feet first after having just watched some videos. They all seem very knowledgeable, but who knows if there are any bad practices being used by a guy in a random video.

Top Bottom