• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    how many of you guys clean your primer pockets each time you reload your cases. i clean mine every time and i am wondering if it needs to be done.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Only if it is filthy. With some I might do it more often, ie. hunting loads or accuracy loads. I'm not sure if it helps enough for me to notice. We might be talking !/8 or 1/4" at 100 yards. I'm not a bech rest shooter or competitve shooter, so that small difference doesn't show up to me.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I used to actually clean primer pockets, but found it to be wholly unnecessary. Visually inspect to ensure the flash hole is clear and full, with no scale obstructing it in any way, then seat a new primer. Clean primer pockets are nice, I suppose, but serve no function whatsoever. Consider how turret and progressive presses work, and how great that ammo typically is, and you'll be forced to concede that cleaning the primer pocket is just pointless busy work.

For match ammo, the flash hole matters and the pocket should be uniform, but even there it doesn't have to be "clean". IMHO, YMMV, n' all that.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Mine only get cleaned if I am wet tumbling something ( pretty much all my rifle brass) but it is only a side benefit of the wet tumbler.
    I used to clean them when doing rifle but they way I clean now it is a non issue.
    Pistol brass I never clean except the 357 sig, which gets wet tumbled so they are clean in those.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The last time I cleaned a primer pocket it was to show a guy what I used to do when I first started reloading. I couldn't begin to guess how many years its been since I did it for a round of reloading.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I clean the primer pocket, uniform the primer pocket, and flashole debur on each and evry case I reload. It is all about how OCD you want o be when it comes to your reloads. Of course, after doing all that work, and some friend pops off ten rounds without seriously trying to do their best, I get all bent out of shape..all that work for nothin! lolz

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I watched a guy reload 6PPC rounds AT the shooting bench, never cleaning anything, and he was shooting groups that were 1/2" or less. Pretty brass is nice, but the gun doesn't know the difference.

Top Bottom