Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    bullets1_zps4af5e019.jpg
    bullets3_zps9855283e.jpg
    bullets2_zpsac5dcd5b.jpg

Would this be any cause for concern? They are Hornaday Critical Defense and they are fro two different boxes. I bought both boxes at the same time.

Last edited:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Looks like they got their primers from 2 different manufacturers. I'm pretty certain a company like Hornady would verify their load data to compensate for any differences in the primers.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Looks like they got their primers from 2 different manufacturers. I'm pretty certain a company like Hornady would verify their load data to compensate for any differences in the primers.

I agree. Different manufacturers use different colors. Example: Winchester large pistol primers are gold, cci large pistol primers are silver.

beardedbrodel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    West of Indy
    Both larger rifle primers (gold) and large pistol primers (silver) are safe to shoot in reloads. The rifle primers just burn a little hotter. I have used both in my pistol reloads with no issues.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Both larger rifle primers (gold) and large pistol primers (silver) are safe to shoot in reloads. The rifle primers just burn a little hotter. I have used both in my pistol reloads with no issues.

There is a difference in rifle and pistol primers. The color has no bearing Winchester runs brass while CCI runs silver. A rifle primer will take more pressure and is "stiffer or thicker cup" some handguns will not have the power to pop the primer. There will be a difference in the pressures of the load also. As for the OP I have Hornady Critical Defense loads and have noticed that they don't have the same color primers from lot to lot you are good to go with them.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    False Statement..

Rifle primers are usually gold. Pistol are normally silver.

Primers are plated (Silver) according to mfg. run. I have had SOME Winchester primers that were silver+some that were brass colored.

FWIW: All CCI that I have seen are silver.
    All Remington that I have seen are silver.
    All of the Wolf that I have seen are brass.
    Most all of the CURRENT Winchesters are brass (Older ones 50/50)

For me--I don't care what color they are as long as they go "Pop" HA HA...Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I have used both in my pistol reloads with no issues.

Probably did not mean what you typed...Do NOT attempt to use LARGE RIFLE primers in Large Pistol primed cases. The primer will NOT seat flush+BAD!! things can happen.

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Rifle primers are usually gold. Pistol are normally silver.

This information is FALSE. The color is per manufacturer, not on the firearm intended.

Probably did not mean what you typed...Do NOT attempt to use LARGE RIFLE primers in Large Pistol primed cases. The primer will NOT seat flush+BAD!! things will happen.

I'm sure he did mean what he typed. I have put large rifle in my .45acp with no problems. I have a friend who does the same thing. I've also put small rifle in my 9mm reloads. It works just fine and I have had no issues seating the primers to flush on my Dillon 550b. Don't put pistol primers in rifle brass though. You might be asking, why even try this? Well with as hard as primers may be to come by someday, its nice knowing there is some interchangeability, limited as it may be.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Primers are plated (Silver) according to mfg. run. I have had SOME Winchester primers that were silver+some that were brass colored.

FWIW: All CCI that I have seen are silver.
    All Remington that I have seen are silver.
    All of the Wolf that I have seen are brass.
    Most all of the CURRENT Winchesters are brass (Older ones 50/50)

For me--I don't care what color they are as long as they go "Pop" HA HA...Bill.

I just loaded some 9mm this evening.
    My CCI #500 primers were brass, not silver. Not sure if it matters but these were commercial primers, not retail.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    kwatters here's the Skinny...

This information is FALSE. The color is per manufacturer, not on the firearm intended.

I'm sure he did mean what he typed. I have put large rifle in my .45acp with no problems. I have a friend who does the same thing. I've also put small rifle in my 9mm reloads. It works just fine and I have had no issues seating the primers to flush on my Dillon 550b. Don't put pistol primers in rifle brass though. You might be asking, why even try this? Well with as hard as primers may be to come by someday, its nice knowing there is some interchangeability, limited as it may be.

wsenefeld:^^^This is UNSAFE LOADING HABITS!!

^^^If I knew how to put it in red, I would..I know a Hell of a lot more about loading, than I do computer use..

If you can get by with LARGE RIFLE primers in LARGE PISTOL cases, then more power to you. If they fit your .45acp. cases-GREAT. I can assure you that they (Large Rifle primers) will NOT fit the normal .002"-.003" below the case! Large rifle primers are taller than LP.
    Large Rifle primers=.118"-.121" tall-NOT-diameter!
    Large Pistol primers=.109"-.110" tall-NOT- diameter!

Most Large Pistol cases do NOT have a deep enough pocket to seat the Large Rifle primer at, or slightly below flush. Yes, you can cut the pocket deeper+weaken the brass, but most reloaders will not due this.

If I were more of a smart a$$ than I am, I would challenge you to load up some LARGE RIFLE primers in some .44Mag. cases, with a full load of H-110/296-Install the six rounds in your favorite Model 29, and just see what kind of damage you can do!!
    The BEST you could have happen is to tie up the cylinder-the WORST you could have happen is to set off rounds in chambers other than the chamber in line with the barrel.

Yes, I DO agree on using Small Rifle primers in Small Pistol cases on SOME loads--BUT--using Large Rifle primers in Large Pistol cases is an UNSAFE practice, and should NOT be recommended to ANYONE on this Forum, or otherwise!

I would hope that no other novice loaders try this "Trick". Like I said before BAD THINGS can happen using LARGE RIFLE primers in LARGE PISTOL cases!

I just loaded some 9mm this evening.
    My CCI #500 primers were brass, not silver. Not sure if it matters but these were commercial primers, not retail.

Thanks, I learned something there. That's the reason that I posted what I HAVE SEEN!!

And NO, I have NOT seen it all....Bill.

PS: The first advise was directed toward wsenefeld, the second toward kwatters..I could not change the title of my post..

Last edited:

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    There is a difference in rifle and pistol primers. The color has no bearing Winchester runs brass while CCI runs silver. A rifle primer will take more pressure and is "stiffer or thicker cup" some handguns will not have the power to pop the primer. There will be a difference in the pressures of the load also. As for the OP I have Hornady Critical Defense loads and have noticed that they don't have the same color primers from lot to lot you are good to go with them.

Okay, just thought it was strange, I noticed it as i was loading up a few mags for practice. :D

Top Bottom