Pretend you can't afford a Johnson Safe...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What "store brand" safes are the best?

I don't know that my wife & I can afford the size we need if it were a Johnson Safe.

Like the pricing on the "S&W" brand safes at Dick's, but I presume that they're not very good quality.

Liberty? Stack-on?

Not too concerned about fire safety to be honest. Firearms can be replaced. Documents important enough will be in the safety deposit box - or possibly inside a mini document fire-safe to be kept inside a larger safe.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

-J-

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Well, we don't pick it up until tomorrow, so I can't give you real-life info, but we just bought a Liberty safe that was on clearance at Cabelas. If you wait for someone to clearance out last year's models, you can do well on price. We paid $1500 for what was originally $2300.

Also, my grandfather has only ever bought Liberty safes. I trust that he's done his research (he's just that kind of guy), and as many times as people break into his second home when he's gone for months on end, no one has gotten into the safe yet.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have had success buying used safes out of businesses that close. I got a narcotics safe out of pharmacy (a Walgreens) that closed which has a 1" thick steel door and 1/2" thick walls, double S&G locks. It's not fire rated at all, but it's not going to be pried open I'll bet. I just search for "store fixture liquidation" to find them occasionally.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think that with a slew of holidays approaching - that I really should pay attention to what's going on at TSC / Rural King... Perhaps even clearance sales at Gander Mountain or Dick's...

Think I may very well need to focus on Liberty brand.

I'd REALLY like a Pendleton Safe... Daddy likey.

-J-

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought the Sentry (which is a Stack-on) at Menards. It's the 18 gun convertible cabinet. I am not worried about one being fireproof, but I wanted one that I could lock up my guns within, and not worry about the curious hands of family getting at them. It suits my needs perfectly.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I bought my Ft. Knox as a floor model years ago from Kiesler's, and it knocked about $800 off the cost. Its not really a store brand, I guess, but its been a good safe.

Frankly I wouldn't waste my money on a snap on or something like that, as it looks like it could be pried open pretty quick. Might as well use a big wood box and a padlock hasp, and then save up for something that'll do the job.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Frankly I wouldn't waste my money on a snap on or something like that, as it looks like it could be pried open pretty quick. Might as well use a big wood box and a padlock hasp, and then save up for something that'll do the job.

:n00b:

XKE24MBESDS.jpg

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I think that with a slew of holidays approaching - that I really should pay attention to what's going on at TSC / Rural King... Perhaps even clearance sales at Gander Mountain or Dick's...

Think I may very well need to focus on Liberty brand.

I'd REALLY like a Pendleton Safe... Daddy likey.

-J-

I ended up getting my Liberty safe at Big R during one of their sales. I ended up paying $1400 for a Fatboy safe with the accessory door pockets...:twocents:

Top Bottom