• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    if i was wanting to stock some food where do get it local? Do i just go to Sams, Cosco or gfs?

Or does it make more sense to order stuff? If i order what are good sources?

Thanks

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Regular old food? We do both. Sams has good deals on lots of stuff, and we use PeaPod (online/delivery) for other things. Meat from local farms is SO much cheaper and better than anything store bought, too.

Looking for anything in particular?

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    local places to buy is walmart they sell mountain house pouches for a nice price shelf life 7 years in the camping section, Cabelas sell #10 cans (self life 30 years) and pouches but cost more money there ...for the best bang for your money is walmart pouches and costco they run alot of 18 #10 can deals. and buy mylar bags and oxygen absorbers and food grade buckets which lowe's sell cheap... and learn how to store alot of your own dry goods which can last 10 - 15 years best place to learn how is You Tube mylar bag food storage search is a best place to start :yesway:

Costco - Grocery & Floral - Food Storage

Honeyville's Freeze Dried Meats in Large Cans for Food Storage

Freeze Dried Food | Dehydrated Food | Emergency Food Storage

Food Storage
    Nitro-Pak: Freeze Dried Food on Sale - Browse Huge Selection of Freeze Dried Food

Buckets,Bottles,Cans & Lids

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    if i was wanting to stock some food where do get it local? Do i just go to Sams, Cosco or gfs?

Or does it make more sense to order stuff? If i order what are good sources?

Thanks

Walmart is a great place to start. Watch for stuff on sale and take coupons. GFS can be a little pricey on some of their items, just price and compare. We did buy a couple cases of frozen eggs from GFS which are really good.

For items you may need I would look under the Church of LDS and even Glenn Becks website (as he is Mormon). He posted a long list a couple months ago on items needed for food storage. We found the LDS sites to be extremely valueable to build a food room.

Here is a place for canned meat. They are just a small business located outside of Fort Wayne, they do ship. I have known the owner for years. He has cans he opens which are 20 years old and the product is as fresh as the day it was packed. The quality is fantastic and the best canned meat around. The more you buy, the cheaper it is.

Grabill Country Meats

I found this place on the Glenn Beck forums, and we have ordered stuff from them several times. Their Morning Moo milk is fantastic. By far the best powdered milk we have ever had.

Food storage and gluten-free food products - Augason Farms

Last edited:

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    There is also Emergency Essentials at beprepared.com. They will even ship in unmarked boxes for discreetness.

Jason

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I was looking at A-Pack MRE's. Given there is only 12 meals per case at about $80 would it be better (more cost effective) to buy bulk staples with a high shelf life or stick with MRE's when you can get them?

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    The best place I believe is the Mormon stores. There is one in zionsville you can walk in and buy farm grown #10 cans of whatever you want cheap, or Ive ordered food from here:

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/sto...7&langId=-1&itemsPerPage=10&storeId=715839595

Better be careful buying from the Mormon stores! GBTV.com has a very interesting article on a US Gov. Agency asking for customer lists from the Mormon stores:twocents:
    "buy local/ pay cash/ learn to make it last!"
    hmmm? I like my quote!

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    That site doesn't show any stores in Indiana. :dunno:
    This site is for placing an online order. The Indiana store is in zionsville. I dont know the address only how to get there, sorry.

And so what if the government wants to know who's stocking up on food that doesnt make you a terrorist, oh wait according to DHS it is suspicious activity.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Google LDS churches in Indiana. This will get you where i am talking about.

Well I am still not finding it. I looked through many LDS websites and could not find it. Oh well.

Now, were you able to go in a purchase canned food, if so I am curious if it was a LDS store. From a few Mormons I talk to they told me you can not just go in and buy food. They will sell you food, but not canned. They will teach you how to can and you have to work in their cannery for so many hours. During that time you are able to can the food they sold you, or something like that. I never got the specifics of the operation. I guess I will have to ask.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    Better be careful buying from the Mormon stores! GBTV.com has a very interesting article on a US Gov. Agency asking for customer lists from the Mormon stores:twocents:
    "buy local/ pay cash/ learn to make it last!"
    hmmm? I like my quote!

That is why you get a friend to order for you and then play dumb if they ever send officials to your house.:dunno:

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    For those interested in contacting a LDS cannery I made a phone call and got a address. The next closest is in Chicago and Columbus Ohio.

5151 West 84th Street
    Indianapolis IN. 46268
    1-877-483-9842

Might not let in non-members. Will have to call to find out.

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I was looking at A-Pack MRE's. Given there is only 12 meals per case at about $80 would it be better (more cost effective) to buy bulk staples with a high shelf life or stick with MRE's when you can get them?

I went over this with my wife a couple of weeks ago. I found fresh packed a-pack MRE's for $49 a case. I was wanting to buy them real bad, thinking how great they would be to have. I was going to get 20 cases thinking how great of a deal I was getting. I finally realized that with that much money we could get A LOT more bulk food and store it ourselves, from Sams and Wal-mart, even from GFS if you can get some of their coupons. A trick my wife learned on bulk storage, is for any thing that is alredy ground, flour, sugar, cornmeal, and things like that. Put them in small freezer bags, and freeze them for 48 hours and then put them in a 5 gallon bucket for storage. For unground grains this isn't nessecary. Also, store with dessicant in each bucket.

Jason

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom