• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    lots of Ramon noodles... :) On the serious side... When I was in 4 years ago.. There were Vegetrian MRE's I believe I have seen Veg freeze dried items in some of the camping stores. Finding Canned fruit and Vegs on sale. My kids arent Vegetarians but my wife was raised that way and We lean that way raising our kids. We doing a lot of canning and freezing. But that is not an option to a lot of people now days. Keep ingrediants around that you can make your own bread and have peanut butter and jelly.. They seem to keep. Honey is also something that can be used as a treat and a sweetner. I guess its up to your pocket book and imagination. Making your own fruit leather... or dried fruits.. Just some Ideas....

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have two children who are vegetarians, anyone else ideas on what you have preped.

Peanut butter, Bear Creek dried vegetable soup mix, canned vegetables, canned fruit, instant potatoes, instant milk.

For starters.

Figure you need 1 gallon of water per person, per day for drinking, food prep, and sanitation.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Stock what you want, if SHTF they will eat whatever is available and will be very grateful for it.

Definitely true, but if a persons system is not used to eating certain things I imagine it could make them sick or at least some bad diareah and that could be bad depending on the situation so it may be a good idea to find out before hand how they might react. I myself can't have dairy. If I consume it on a daily basis I have mild ibs like symptoms, but if I don't have it then consume something with out then it is a way worse reaction and the recourse can last a a couple days lol

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Stick with the basics. Most of the long term foods you'd store wouldn't have meat in them anyway.

Rice
    Beans
    Wheat
    Lentils
    Dried or canned fruits
    Dried or canned vegetables

Don't forget to store spices. Vegetarian or not, spices go a long way toward making boring storage food more appetizing.

There's a decent booked named Apocalypse Chow you should check out. All of the preps and recipes in it are vegetarian.

Apocalypse Chow: How to Eat Well When the Power Goes Out: Jon Robertson, Tanja Thorjussen, Barry David Marcus, Robin Robertson: Amazon.com: Books

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    maybe slowly introduce them to game...Like others were saying, if the SHTF, they will eat what's available. Try rabbit or fish first, make a stew or chili.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Better suggestion: Kill a hobo and get them used to eating people. Meat is meat and we'll all be eating dead bodies anyway after SHTF.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Better suggestion: Kill a hobo and get them used to eating people. Meat is meat and we'll all be eating dead bodies anyway after SHTF.

Hobos are high in cholesterol and should be avoided except in an emergency.

It seems like prepping for a vegetarian would be easier than prepping for a carnivore. Plenty o' rice and beans.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Peanut butter, Bear Creek dried vegetable soup mix, canned vegetables, canned fruit, instant potatoes, instant milk.

For starters.

Figure you need 1 gallon of water per person, per day for drinking, food prep, and sanitation.

Thinking about this and sounding it out, really changes my thought process of how much water we will need. My two V, are 12 & 16.

With regards to, "they will it whatever is available," does make a lot of sense however, they don't tollerate meat but will eat everything else in sight!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    As Shay has said, most storage preps are already vegetarian anyway. Meat is really more practical as additional variety (which is pointless for them if they don't like/refuse to eat meat anyway), or for long-term preps (think livestock) since animals can survive certain situations better than crops and vise-versa. You'll want to ensure you have proper nutritive balance, but its not out of the realm of what is reasonable.

That said, yes they will happily devour a rabbit if they haven't eaten in five days but at that point I'd say we've gone outside of the realm of prepping food stores. If you eat meat and they don't, and you're the only one prepping...well, they're family. But if someone has to rely on my choice of food stores they may have to eat a can or two of Dinty Moore Beef Stew: I love the stuff :): And there will be bacon if I can help it. Lots and lots of bacon.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Thinking about this and sounding it out, really changes my thought process of how much water we will need. My two V, are 12 & 16.

With regards to, "they will it whatever is available," does make a lot of sense however, they don't tollerate meat but will eat everything else in sight!

I made the mistake of trying a vegan diet 6 months ago, I felt great, lost weight, easily maintained it once I'd lost the few pounds I wanted to lose, felt satisfied, energy levels went up, etc. I say it's a mistake, because deep down I missed a big greasy pizza or burger now and then. So i decided I'd have one one day. That's where the mistake was.

Now I slowly worked my way back to vegetarian, and since then I've worked it to where i can even tolerate some fish/seafood.

Beef/Chicken/Pork/Turkey/etc - no way, It kills my stomach.

Fortunately for you and other prepper, Vegan is CHEAP and EASY to store for a long long time.

John Mcdougall, youtube him.

Corn, Beans, Rice, Potatoes, dried veggies. Think Starch, we can all survive off of starches exclusively, without a MUCH lower risk of food contamination or poisoning.

You want to prep long term? How long do dried grains store, without power.

How long do meats/dairy store without power?

You will thank your veggie kids for not *****ing they need meat to survive during a SHTF situation.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    TVP. Looks like dog food, Textured Vegetable Protein. You can get it at GFS in 25lb boxes.
    TVP works well as an add in. I've had dishes that used it in addition to meat to fill it out and it wasn't bad. As a complete substitute for meat it certainly is lacking in everything. Dishes need to be heavily seasoned to gain any flavour. You can live with TVP but it ain't living well. :D

Top Bottom