• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I only have one scope and one AR. It's a 3-9. I like it and at 3X I can run Steve's course with it. I am getting older so the increased magnification helps. I have a red dot on an AR I sold, so I probably didn't give it much of a chance, but I don't think I care for them too much.

Steve, you have forgotten more about this sort of stuff then I will ever learn, but if I had multiple AR's I would have a 1-4 or 1-6 on my run and gun rig and a high magnification scope on a long distance rifle. I use the 3-9 because I think it allows me to shoot up close and out to a moderately long distance. But in a way for me it's a little like an enduro motorcycle.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I really like the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x. At 1x it's better than a red dot because the eye box is massive and the entire scope body almost vanishes from sight. It's almost like a magic trick. It's the clearest glass I've ever seen and the dot is bright enough to fry your retina. There's literally nothing about this scope that I don't absolutely love. It's expensive and a little heavy, but it's worth it.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I went the other way... If I had anything other than irons on an AR it was a scope as red dots were unknown. Once EoTechs and Aimpoints became common I migrated to RDS's. When the Vortex PST 1-4x came out, I decided to give magnification another try. Well, I no longer own the 1-4x PST. With my eyes being as old as they are, if I can still manage to see it, I can hit it with a red dot... and hit it quicker than I could with the 1-4x. So the low end of the 1-4x didn't do me any good on a DEFENSIVE carbine.

If I know that I'm going to be shooting +200 yards, I want a scope. But I find that in that scenario that I'm better served with a scope that starts at 4x rather than ends there. My thinking is that if I ever have to take a shot that "counts," I'd be better served with an RDS. :twocents:

Edit: Which is not to say that I disliked the PST 1-4x; I did like it. It just seemed like the wrong tool for me.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I picked up a FFP 2-10 X 42 Burris . I like it a lot. The glass is great and I can shoot little groups with it at well past 100 yards. I keep it on 2 X when not in use. That way it is always ready for close up work. Then if it is something small out past 100 yards I can quickly crank it up to 10 X.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I went with this 1-4x Primary Arms on this rifle and I have to say for less than $120 bucks this scope is awesome, very clear glass in all the power ranges. I really like the dot style reticle also.

IMG_20151025_131413_939_zpsffan8mx7.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I got a PST 1x4 from a INGO member and I just got a ADM mount in... From looking it over I'm at fan, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoot!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I got a PST 1x4 from a INGO member and I just got a ADM mount in... From looking it over I'm at fan, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoot!

I ran it in the carbine course today and it did very well. I really like that center dot on the reticle makes for a bit faster shots when having it on 1x for closer in shots just basically point an shoot.

Top Bottom