• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    As for a SHTF scenario, I'd really like to know what type of SHTF some of the people are expecting when they write about hoards coming to steal their stuff.

Planning for hoards of walking zombies may be fun, but I suspect its not logical. Me, I'm planning for a continuously more secure "compound" type of homestead.

If you are in a city, or within so many miles, you will have to worry about hoards of people. However, you have said exactly what I have read in other places. In in war torn countries, people still get gas, still eat, etc.. Are there refugees, yes, but lots of times many, many people are killed off...and in a total collapse, that would happen here. However, the chances of total collapse are very, very unlikely. You may be living under an enemy flag, but in most cases, even dictators want something to dictate over, and an area in constant turmoil isn't something any politician/dictator wants, at least for a prolonged period of time.

So, the further away you are from population centers, the better. Even if you live in the city, your biggest issue will be a large spike in crimes, specifically armed robberies and home invasions. Fully expect more and more self-defense shootings/deaths. These additional deaths of criminals, combined with deaths of the elderly/sick, will cause large spikes in overall death rates. While most don't want to hear it, the death of these folks will actually bring stability back to an area. It is the amount of welfare needed which has helped ruin the currency, added to the debt load.

The one thing you will have to watch out for is for that small group of two or three, or more likely a person who is alone, and don't trust your neighbors. I belong to another forum that has a focus on survivalism/preparedness. One poster lives in Florida and gave a good account of what happened after a hurricane rolled through. I am going to re-post it below so folks know what could happen even in a minor SHTF situation. The first part was his initial, short to the point post, then I asked him to expand upon it:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]When hurricane Ivan came thorugh our area years ago, I got to see first hand how some neighbors will react to you being prepared. My mistake was not keeping a LOW profile and because of that, one of the neighbors that live where I do ( and I had never met this guy either ) demanded that I give him my Coleman stove and lantern for his family. Let me repeat that, never asked to borrow it, DEMANDED I GIVE IT TO HIM and was very irate that I had hot food and he and his family did not. Another mistake was going to the door without any type of protection. Never again when a disaster hits I will do that again either.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]When the hurricane hit, the power, water, all public service was out. This lasted in some areas for over a month but here in my area it was only for 6 or7 days. It was on the 3rd or 4th day there was a knock at my door. A guy who lived up on one of the streets above me and I want to point out that my street is the only way in and out of the houses above me. I could tell he was irate about something and mad. He demanded to know why my lights were on and his still off. I explained to him that I have a Coleman lantern that I use for camping. Then he smelled the food I was cooking and went nuts. He then demanded to know how I could cook and have hot meals.

I told him that I have camping equipment and we are using that in the house. He became more aggitated with me because of what we had. He then demanded I give him my stove and lantern and all of my fuel for his family to use. At this point he was screaming and red in the face and really was pissed. I told him he could not have the stove or lantern but if he would bring his food down I would cook it for him. He then told me he was going to take my stove and I became mad at this point and told him to get the hell off my poperty. He stepped towards the door and I told him if he made one more move towards me that I was armed and I would shoot him. I did not have any weapons on me and I was lucky I bluffed him and he then backed off. He then told me he was going to call the cops on me and have me arrested. I then told him go ahead but if I seen him on my property I would shoot to kill.

He then left and I never had anymore trouble with him and the police never came either. I was out in the yard a week later after everything had gotten back to normal and was picking up tree limbs. He stopped and got out of his car and apologized to me for his behavior and even asked me where he could get a Coleman stove and lantern. I told him to go to Wal-mart in the camping section and see what they had, and also told him he almost got shot that day, just to make sure he knew never to try that again. So lessons learned that day is, in a disaster to cover the windows with black plastic so no light can be seen from outside and never go to the door unarmed again, plus check to see before I open the door who is out there with what. And be very careful with cooking food and hiding the smell of food cooking. I think that made him mad more than anything that I had hot food and he could smell it.
    [/FONT]

I wouldn't worry too much about hoards of people, unless you were very close, or in, a city, but you do need to worry about anyone who comes upon your property in a time of emergency. More and more life is getting easier for humans in the US: Heat at the flick of a switch, the ability to cook with the turning of a knob, using FRNs to purchase food, etc.. If there is a breakdown in this, watch out. Hell, we are talking about the same folks who go absolutely crazy on Black Friday, fighting over video game stations, trampling other human beings, etc.. Yet some folks say to trust other humans. I trust me and mine, no others. Unless you are extremely close to someone, don't trust them for one second. Everyone has an agenda, and some will have an agenda to work with you to survive, and others will only care about them and their family surviving.

Keeping a low profile is key. I can't believe how many folks here talk about, and post pictures of, their cases of ammo, their safes with all sorts of guns, their trucks, maybe a couple of home shots, etc.. Even if you don't post pictures of yourself and your home on this forum, plenty of people have linked their photobucket accounts to photos they do post, and I have been able to find their accounts and see a ton of other pictures that give even more info on the person. Ridiculous and dangerous and just as stupid as my Facebook friends who post about being gone for a weekend, or a full week. It is best to speak in vague terms, don't post detailed info ever, etc.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well said Indy317. In emergencies mankind has shown time and time again that it reverts back to it's basic form, an animal, and is barbaric at best. That is not to say all of mankind does this. There are many examples of "good deads" that occur in emergencies as well. It just seems that both ends of the sprecturm good and bad come out to an extreme when SHTF events occur.

BTW this thread got me re-thinking some of my planning.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I wouldn't worry too much about hoards of people, unless you were very close, or in, a city, but you do need to worry about anyone who comes upon your property in a time of emergency. More and more life is getting easier for humans in the US: Heat at the flick of a switch, the ability to cook with the turning of a knob, using FRNs to purchase food, etc.. If there is a breakdown in this, watch out.
    I am in total agreement with you on this stuff. Our lives are so easy we don't realize what it takes to make a fire, grow our food, etc. Which is why I have been working to make my property less and less inviting to others. This year we finished a 200' long berm across a lower spot to cut visibility to the house and to make it very difficult to drive up onto the property off the road without flipping your car. A sturdy gate and more fencing will be coming soon. I'm looking at adding some IR weatherproof cameras in some areas as well. Seems to me a making rural properties into uninviting secure compounds makes a lot of sense. But it also makes sense to have some neighbors that are cooperative and like minded. Educating them to be as self sufficient as possible will create buffer zones, none of us, no matter how much we try, can ever be totally self sufficient, but we can do a lot to get our lives set so that we can last a good long time in reasonable comfort.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Amazing. The guy didn't have a BBQ Grill? Most grills now days have side burners, great for cooking. Heck even using charcoal grills you can boil water and cook. For a 5 days you don't really need to get anything special, water will be the key. You already have food in the Frig or in the cupboard (can soups, beans, veggies, etc). Empty coffee can and some newspaper and you have a stove.

It is not hard to survive five days on your own. Most people have what they need already.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    It is not hard to survive five days on your own. Most people have what they need already.
    But the amazing thing is that people don't know how to survive. Heck they can't adapt or improvise, how do you expect them to survive?

Remember the Scouts, pop open a can of soup and set it right on fire to heat it up? No stove needed, just a small fire and you have hot food for the family. Got a gas grill but no propane? Take the burner and other internal pieces out, like it with a few layers of heavy tin foil and start a small wood fire out of scrap wood and replace the grate. Or take the grate out of the grill and set it on a few bricks or blocks over an open fire. There are so many ways to improvise and adapt things to make life more comfortable in a harsh situation but people need to pull their heads out and figure things out.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Amazing. The guy didn't have a BBQ Grill? Most grills now days have side burners, great for cooking. Heck even using charcoal grills you can boil water and cook. For a 5 days you don't really need to get anything special, water will be the key. You already have food in the Frig or in the cupboard (can soups, beans, veggies, etc). Empty coffee can and some newspaper and you have a stove.

Oh yes it is (hard to sruvive 5 days off-grid)!
    Look at the current milenium babies. They have lived their entire lives "online" and have their iPod, iPhone, netbook literally attached to their body. They can't go 1 day without being "online/texting/IMing" etc. Kiss electricty good bye and it's like telling a crack addict all the crack is gone in the world. That generation is going to have a rude awakening in going cold turkey real fast. & it's gonna hurt them BIG time. Granted the majority of them still live at home and depend on mom/dad so hopefully mom/dad will help them out.

Now move on to my generation (Gen X) and how many, myself include, know, remember, or have the knowedge to cook on a charcoal grill, or in a coffee can, etc? Shoot all my friends make fun of me for having a charcoal grill when they show off they big propane auto-start grills. :rolleyes:

Heck for that matter how many of them even know how to cook WITHOUT using the microwave! I've met friends of friends who have no idea that you can make french fries at home using a potatoe!!! They always bought their fries at McDonalds, the resturant or in the frozen section of the food store. These are 30 something year olds BTW!!!

okay let me stop ranting...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Remember the Scouts, pop open a can of soup and set it right on fire to heat it up? No stove needed, just a small fire and you have hot food for the family.
    :nono: :runaway:
    Have you lost your mind! You can burn yourself trying to do this! Why are you not thinking of the children. Why?

Got a gas grill but no propane? Take the burner and other internal pieces out, like it with a few layers of heavy tin foil and start a small wood fire out of scrap wood and replace the grate. Or take the grate out of the grill and set it on a few bricks or blocks over an open fire. There are so many ways to improvise and adapt things to make life more comfortable in a harsh situation but people need to pull their heads out and figure things out.

Well if you have no propane you just go to the local store and buy a new tank. :ugh: Geez melensdad why are you NOT trying to help the economy out buy buying stuff. Why? :D

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I"m 31 and I think I can survive a few days on what we have. Back in 91 or 92 or 93(can't remember the exact year) we had a bad ice storm in March(during high school boys basketball sectionals). Dad was gone to our farm in OK. He just left the day before. We(me, my middle brother and mom) were home by ourselves with our livestock. WE were withour power for 10-12 days and had a small sears 4kw generator. We also had a 35 gal drum on a hand truck that was fashioned to be a gravity fed fuel tank for the generator. We also had a 100 gal overhead tank of gas too. We made do. I was about 10 or 11 at the time. We also had neighbors come down and stay with us. That was the longest I remember going without power. I actually live in that same house now. I need to get something set up for alternative power.

I thought about a diesel generator but if it's colder than all get out, it's gonna be hard to start without a block heater plugged in and the fuel could gell if it's not treated. I also don't have an lp tank but have thought about switching the fuel furnace out for a gas furnace so I could have a genset to run on lp. I've got a lot of options to run through. Also My neighbors are across the road and down the road and half are my relatives.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I thought about a diesel generator but if it's colder than all get out, it's gonna be hard to start without a block heater plugged in
    So put a block heater on it and plug it in when the temps drop to zero, or better yet get a thermostatically controlled unit that automatically warms up at low temperatures. When the power fails go start the generator the engine will be warm. You don't need the block heater on 24/7 you only need it on in extreme cold and they actually use very little power so the current draw is very low. I had a whole fleet of diesel trucks, most of our problems didn't occur until the temps were SUSTAINED at BELOW 0 degrees for a couple days.

and the fuel could gell if it's not treated.
    So treat it!!! 32 ounces of Power Service w/Cetane Boost & Anti-Gel will treat 250 gallons and only costs about $10.

And 1800 rpm diesel generators will last a lifetime under pretty heavy use, if you can store the fuel for it (diesel fuel stores for long periods) then its a great choice for a generator. A major SHTF advantage is that most of these should easily run any blend of bio-diesel up to and including straight bio-diesel so if you can brew your own fuel from waste vegetable oil (assuming you have access to it) you should be in pretty good shape for power.

And LP or NG generator that turns at 1800rpm would be a good choice too. NG service is very reliable too so you don't have much to worry about in terms of running out of power. LP and NG generators can usually be changed over with some parts so you can run either fuel if you have the parts and access to the fuel. Some can also be changed to run gasoline.

Generally speaking the 1800rpm generators will last many times longer than the 3600rpm generators, they are also much quieter. The downside is they cost about twice as much.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Yeah I know about treating the fuel but just giving some others something to consider. I'm seriously thinking about a diesel generator in the barn because I have a 500 gal fuel tank beside the barn. I'm thinking thats the way I'm going to go probably.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I'm prepared for everything but extreme prolonged cold and hords of armed looters ready to sacrifice themselves (zombies, yes). Just thinking about a worst case SHTF makes me wish I still lived in the country with my relatives around me. At this point I couldn't stay at home for more than a few months without replinishing my supplies, so I might make a run for it back to the country.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I'm prepared for everything but extreme prolonged cold and hords of armed looters ready to sacrifice themselves (zombies, yes). Just thinking about a worst case SHTF makes me wish I still lived in the country with my relatives around me. At this point I couldn't stay at home for more than a few months without replinishing my supplies, so I might make a run for it back to the country.

Let me know in advance before you head this way!!!!:welcome:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yeah I know about treating the fuel but just giving some others something to consider. I'm seriously thinking about a diesel generator in the barn because I have a 500 gal fuel tank beside the barn. I'm thinking thats the way I'm going to go probably.

Diesel is good but just think it over a little. Don't go buying stuff that's never going to be used unless SHTF. Diesel fuel last a long time if it's treated and it's a darn good fuel and power for a generator BUT IT DON'T LAST FOR EVER. How many years will that fuel sit there until you use 50 gallons?

You need another way to use it as well so you can keep it fresh, draining and burning in diesel equipment like a tractor or a fuel stove or kerosene heater or if you weld get a diesel powered generator / welder so it get's exercise and kept in good working condition.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :hijack:

It is OK to store kerosene in a steel drum that had hydrolic oil before and has been cleaned out (no oil residue left)? The kerosene will be used in a backup kerosene heater BTW.

thanks

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Diesel is good but just think it over a little. Don't go buying stuff that's never going to be used unless SHTF. Diesel fuel last a long time if it's treated and it's a darn good fuel and power for a generator BUT IT DON'T LAST FOR EVER. How many years will that fuel sit there until you use 50 gallons?

You need another way to use it as well so you can keep it fresh, draining and burning in diesel equipment like a tractor or a fuel stove or kerosene heater or if you weld get a diesel powered generator / welder so it get's exercise and kept in good working condition.

<<<<<We farm, so it gets used. I use in our lawn mower, Loader tractor, Sweetcorn tractor or whatever else needs fuel. Won't sit very long before I use 50 gal. I used about 20 yesterday and will need another 20 or so in a few days:D

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    My neighbor down the road has a 17kw generator and 500 gal. buried fuel tank. In the event we have a shtf scenario, I advised him to turn on the lights that say "TAKE ME FIRST" so I'll be low on the priority list from maurading foragers at my place. Just a thought.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    :hijack:

It is OK to store kerosene in a steel drum that had hydrolic oil before and has been cleaned out (no oil residue left)? The kerosene will be used in a backup kerosene heater BTW.

thanks

I'd have no problem doing that if conditions were favorable.

Kerosene is an oil, very similar to diesel or fuel oil.

The biggest concern would be the storage area.

Diesel is good but just think it over a little. Don't go buying stuff that's never going to be used unless SHTF.
    Total agreement on this.

But it applies to everything you do for storage not just fuel for your generator. I don't buy and store food that I don't eat either. My feeling is store what you use and use what you store. There are no MRE's in my home because we don't eat them but a friend of mine loves MREs so he buys them, and uses them when they go boating, go work on their land, etc. That rotates out the older ones and he replaces them with new ones. I prefer canned foods in my home so we rotate those instead of MREs.

Similarly a person buying a generator and storing diesel fuel for it who doesn't have a diesel tractor, car, truck, etc is probably setting himself up for fail. In my case I store diesel but also have 3 diesel vehicles.

Top Bottom