• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Last night we had a fairly significant power outage. From what I could discern it covered roughly a 4 square mile area, and lasted a little over 2 hours. When we moved into this semi rural area 8 years ago one of the first things we did was to install a 15KW backup generator system. We chose the circuits wisely to power specific lights, refrigerators, freezers, well, septic, communications, and alarms. When I looked out the windows last night it was obvious that we were the only ones in the surrounding area with power. While working out front this morning I have already had 3 neighbors stop to ask why we had power last night. I guess I am the only one in he area that has done any prep work. This incident brings to light that in the event of a major disaster, I am going to be contending with a neighborhood full of zombies, before the transient zombies arrive. Guess I had better buy more barbed wire and load a lot more ammo.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ...While working out front this morning I have already had 3 neighbors stop to ask why we had power last night. I guess I am the only one in he area that has done any prep work...
    This is what happens when people from the city/near suburbs move out to rural areas.

I did the same thing you did. We moved from city/near suburbs, after living in urban/suburban areas our whole lives, built a home out in the country and within a fairly short time had a nice generator. One good power outage in the winter was all it took for me to learn. And it taught me more than just to supply power. We are not hard core 'preppers' but we can get by pretty comfortably for far longer than many folks. The key is to be well rounded in how you prepare and to be realistic in what SHTF type scenarios you will face.

We are far more likely to have prolonged cold, often sub-ZERO temps, combined with a power failure here in our northern counties of Indiana.

Having a gen-set and fuel that runs for 3+ days is very important. I constantly read about folks here who rely on gasoline, but a generator that uses 5 gallons of gas every 8 hours requires 45 gallons of gas for a 3 day outage. Very few people keep that amount and keeping it SAFELY is a real issue. Again people then suggest that they can go to the gas station . . . perhaps so, but I've actually been snowed in for 3 days here in northern Indiana. That 5 gallon gas can in the trunk wouldn't do much good if the road is closed.

Have food. Have a safe fuel supply. Have a safe water source. You'll look forward to power outages when you're family can 'camp in' on the 'snow days' and the SHTF days will be little more than a bump in the road for your family while they will be a real hardship for others.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Best to leave the lights out, so the zombies stay away.

That is a great point. When we chose the circuit for the garage fridge and freezer it just so happened that he outside security lights were on that circuit also. I realized last night that I am going to have to give that some thought. They can be turned off in the garage, but I may have to rig up something more convenient.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    When I looked out the windows last night it was obvious that we were the only ones in the surrounding area with power. While working out front this morning I have already had 3 neighbors stop to ask why we had power last night. I guess I am the only one in he area that has done any prep work. This incident brings to light that in the event of a major disaster, I am going to be contending with a neighborhood full of zombies, before the transient zombies arrive. Guess I had better buy more barbed wire and load a lot more ammo.

And now you have to deal with Zombies who know you have power. If the noise is heard around the neighborhood, not much you can do about that (if you live in a fairly packed neighborhood (ie: Lot sizes an acre or under). However, if you live in a neighborhood with each home have a few acres or more, there are plans on-line to help muffle generator noise. In addition, if you can take out the noise factor, then black-out blinds are a must...for the reason you stated.

That is a great point. When we chose the circuit for the garage fridge and freezer it just so happened that he outside security lights were on that circuit also. I realized last night that I am going to have to give that some thought. They can be turned off in the garage, but I may have to rig up something more convenient.

A good way around this is to buy a set of flood lights that use solar panels. That way, when you get these calls, you can just tell the neighbors you have the $50 (or whatever) solar powered flood lamps. They figure you have nothing except some lights that will eventually go out..thus you are no longer a target. Depending on what, who, how you told the neighbors, you still might be able to play the "Oh, I'm such an idiot! I didn't mean generator, I meant solar panels were activating our our outdoor lights." If they saw interior lights, and they don't know if they were ceiling mounted, you can always say that you didn't mean generator, but inverter and a battery set-up.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Tell them the secret to all your powers is right here to press their eye up to the little hole to have all they desire revealed to them.

Then when they look, pull the trigger.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I'd redo the circuits to power just what you need and get some good black out blinds.

The guy down the road has his place wired up with a propane gen set. When the power is out even the light down by the street is still on. I had a talk with him, but he likes having it work.

Note to self. Just power the essentials and keep the lights on separate circuits

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    You guys would really shoot your neighbors? And announce your plan to do so on the internet beforehand?

In an SHTF situation, what's mine is mine. I took the time to prepare, and what I prepared is for my family. My neighbors are not my friends, they are merely neighbors. In a true emergency situation if someone tries to take what I have taken years to stockpile I will defend my territory, by whatever means necessary.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    You guys would really shoot your neighbors? And announce your plan to do so on the internet beforehand?

There is a difference between announcing your intentions to, without justification, murder someone vs. shooting a person in self-defense. I personally wouldn't advocate discussing the shooting of anyone, and if one wants to give an opinion/statement, make it extremely vague and broad.

That said, when I hear folks talk about shooting looters, that would fall into self-defense because it requires the looter to gain entry into the home, or attack the home, and thus the home owner would more than likely be justified under state law if they shot the neighbor.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    looks like the over literal police have showed up.

OH NO OFFICER, PLEASE DON'T TAKE ME TO JAIL!

i think he's just saying that if it WERE to come to that, there is but one clear answer to trespassing zombies.

just as you cannot air condition the great outdoors, you can't feed the neighborhood.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Having a gen-set and fuel that runs for 3+ days is very important. I constantly read about folks here who rely on gasoline, but a generator that uses 5 gallons of gas every 8 hours requires 45 gallons of gas for a 3 day outage. Very few people keep that amount and keeping it SAFELY is a real issue. Again people then suggest that they can go to the gas station . . . perhaps so, but I've actually been snowed in for 3 days here in northern Indiana. That 5 gallon gas can in the trunk wouldn't do much good if the road is closed.

Have food. Have a safe fuel supply. Have a safe water source. You'll look forward to power outages when you're family can 'camp in' on the 'snow days' and the SHTF days will be little more than a bump in the road for your family while they will be a real hardship for others.

But.. but... but... Obama and the LAKE COUNTY democrats will save us all if NWI ever gets snowed in. Your just crazy melensdad! All you have to do come election is vote straight D and watch and see how everything will be OK. ;)

Besides it's more like 8 gallons of gas every 12 hours or 48 gallons for 3 days if you run 24/7. A 55 gallon drum will do OK. Just store it in the shed right next to the neighbor's house and hope it does not blow up. :rolleyes:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

No different than saying if someone breaks into my home I WILL SHOOT THEM DEAD.

Kinda had the same situation when I first moved into my new subdivision, seem we were the only ones that had a basement out of my four neighbors. They all can knocking when the first storm warnings came. They stopped knocking since, guess they got use to the idea of Tornadoes? I didn't have a problem letting them in since I knew them, not well, but met them a few times around the neighborhood.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    We are far more likely to have prolonged cold, often sub-ZERO temps, combined with a power failure here in our northern counties of Indiana.

Having a gen-set and fuel that runs for 3+ days is very important. I constantly read about folks here who rely on gasoline, but a generator that uses 5 gallons of gas every 8 hours requires 45 gallons of gas for a 3 day outage. Very few people keep that amount and keeping it SAFELY is a real issue.

Your philosophy is to have enough generator to power your house 24 hours a day. And you made that decision to have your house not notice any change in routine and it's fine for you based on your house and your needs.

Most people will only need to run a generator a few hours a day in an extended power outage, a couple hours in the morning and a couple in the evening. This keeps the fridge and freezer cold and provides charging for battery operated devices, well pump, etc. 5-10 gallons of gasoline will easily provide that for 3+ days.

If one was truly prepping for power outages, critical circuits would have a battery bank and inverter, then they get charged when the generator is running and keep power available 24hours a day when it's not. If one was on a well, then larger pressure tanks can provide a house with more water between power on times.

I burn about 5 gallons of gas a week, and that, along with my solar panels, provides all the electricity I use.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Kinda had the same situation when I first moved into my new subdivision, seem we were the only ones that had . . .
    Well I'm still one of the very few on my road that has a generator. I've never had anyone ever come to my house for help.

As for a SHTF scenario, I'd really like to know what type of SHTF some of the people are expecting when they write about hoards coming to steal their stuff.

Looking around the world at nations that have had economic collapses, or even civil wars, there are very few examples of places where a western style society has collapsed so far down that roving bands of people come and try to raid your stash. While some African nations (Somalia, Ivory Coast, etc) have total collapses, its more likely the USA would face a collapse similar to what happened at the turn of the century Russia, or perhaps Argentina, and honestly I'd not expect roving bands of "zombies" walking the hills like in the movie THE ROAD unless we have a total world nuclear nightmare.

Strikes me the most likely SHTF scenarios we will face will be very high unemployment (sustained 10 to 15%), continued collapse of the value of the dollar, high inflation, criminal home invasions looking for money/easily pawned valuables/etc (but not bulk food stores), kidnappings (mostly of teen girls), ultra high food and fuel prices, and shortages of many basic goods, etc.

Even in war zones (Iraq) and even in nations with recent (Argentina) financial collapses most people still had jobs, people still had access to most medicines, most people still had places to live (although home ownership declined, apartment living increased), and society still functioned at low basic levels. Black market trading increased dramatically, an underground economy flourished, people with large gardens did NOT make a living selling food, however repair skills like welding, plumbing, auto mechanics all were/are more valuable.

Planning for hoards of walking zombies may be fun, but I suspect its not logical. Me, I'm planning for a continuously more secure "compound" type of homestead.

Your philosophy is to have enough generator to power your house 24 hours a day. And you made that decision to have your house not notice any change in routine and it's fine for you based on your house and your needs.

Most people will only need to run a generator a few hours a day in an extended power outage...
    Actually no I didn't plan for what you suggest, but it works out pretty close to that.

What I planned for was WINTER SURVIVAL because up here in the northern part of the state, and places farther north than me, the temps can easily hit and stay BELOW ZERO for a few days at a time. Try to keep a house even REMOTELY close to semi-livable when temps are that low requires a whole lot more fuel than you suggest.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Glad you were prepared. I agree with shibumiseeker though. Try to change your thinking a little on the 24 hour a day use of your generator.

Get some oil lamps installed throughout the house. Have a woodburner for heat. Have a deck of cards or board game for entertainment.

For a 2 hour outage I would probably would not even start the generator. Fridge and freezer are fine for that long. Limit the toilet flushing for a while (if your on a well like I am). Light some lanterns and break out the monopoly game. And it's a fun break from tv and internet and you will get more life out of your generator.

Sounds like your way of ahead of your neighbors too. Good luck. :yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Actually no I didn't plan for what you suggest, but it works out pretty close to that.

What I planned for was WINTER SURVIVAL because up here in the northern part of the state, and places farther north than me, the temps can easily hit and stay BELOW ZERO for a few days at a time. Try to keep a house even REMOTELY close to semi-livable when temps are that low requires a whole lot more fuel than you suggest.

We had this discussion a few months ago. YOU have what works for YOUR house and needs. That setup is not optimal for longer term situations, but works ok for short term problems for the size and layout of house YOU have. It is not, however, a very efficient use of resources and it places you at the mercy of a single point of failure (electricity).

You have your mind made up firmly as to how you are going to handle things. I happen to think that your setup is less than optimal for anything but a short term problem, but that's your decision.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I think this is just another example of why operational security (OPSEC) is important, and why it is also important to encourage others to prepare. It would never happen, but wouldn't the perfect situation for each of us be that everyone was prepared?

For those people who have asked you about the generator, I think you should get back with them and advise them on how they, too, can get one. Maybe even tell them that you will help get them started. 2 reasons - first, they might just get on board, get prepared, and become good neighbors and allies, if shtf. 2nd, if they show up on your doorstep if shtf in January, and you don't want to help them, you can tell them "I offered to help you get prepared, and I'm sorry you did not want to." After giving them these chances, your defense of you and yours is even more justified.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I think this is just another example of why operational security (OPSEC) is important, and why it is also important to encourage others to prepare. It would never happen, but wouldn't the perfect situation for each of us be that everyone was prepared?

For those people who have asked you about the generator, I think you should get back with them and advise them on how they, too, can get one. Maybe even tell them that you will help get them started. 2 reasons - first, they might just get on board, get prepared, and become good neighbors and allies, if shtf. 2nd, if they show up on your doorstep if shtf in January, and you don't want to help them, you can tell them "I offered to help you get prepared, and I'm sorry you did not want to." After giving them these chances, your defense of you and yours is even more justified.

this is probably the best as it encourages polite cooperation.

and then you can show them what defense means.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    melensdad; said:
    Planning for hoards of walking zombies may be fun, but I suspect its not logical. Me, I'm planning for a continuously more secure "compound" type of homestead.

I find nothing fun about preparing for a worst case scenario. I intend to be fully prepared for whatever comes my way. There is no logic for preparing on a limited basis. Either you are fully prepared or you are not. There is no in between. I choose to go all the way.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom