• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Getting a stockpile of reloading equipment and supplies.

Looking to build loads for the following handgun setups. And I'm interested in any suggestions for powder that is efficient and versatile.

9mm 124 gr played/fmj.
    9mm 147 grain lead

.40 165-180 plated/fmj
    175 gr lead

10mm 180-200 gr fmj
    10mm 220gr lead

.41 mag 210 gr lead
    .41 mag 175-210 jhp

.45 185-230 grain lead.

It there is any powders that work across several of these efficiently I'd like to know. Please let me know what you use and what you have had good results with.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Titegroup, Universal Clays. WW 231. For the 41 mag and the 10mm, the best loads will be with a slower powder like AA#9 or other magnum powders, even though the first suggestions will work.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I would look at Titegroup, Universal Clays and Winchester 231 They are all great pistol powders and would work in all that you are looking to load.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    H110, Bullseye, Clays, W231 for the 9mm

.41 mag
    H110, Titegroup, Clays

.45 ACP
    titegroup, clays, red dot

I don't load 10mm or 40 S&W but could look up some powders for those...

If you are looking to get perhaps an all around powder, then go with Bullseye, Titegroup or Clays. Those three are pretty versatile powders and they are the ones I have the most of myself. Along with W231 & 296 and a few others but I reload a lot of calibers you don't apparently and I cast a lot of my own bullets too so it is always a lead bullet.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm interested in any suggestions for powder that is efficient and versatile.

Being you mention several calibers and loading with anything from lead, plated, to jacketed, I'd say a selection of at least (2), maybe (3) powders would probably be what you ultimately end up with eventually...

For the time being, if versatility is important to you, I would consider Unique. I use a lot of it in cast, plated, and even jacketed with good results... I feel it's pretty economical, definitely versatile, and have never had any unpleasant surprises with it... :): A couple of negatives with Unique though is it is pretty dirty and also it doesn't meter as well as most other powders...

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    H110, Bullseye, Clays, W231 for the 9mm

.41 mag
    H110, Titegroup, Clays

.45 ACP
    titegroup, clays, red dot

I don't load 10mm or 40 S&W but could look up some powders for those...

If you are looking to get perhaps an all around powder, then go with Bullseye, Titegroup or Clays. Those three are pretty versatile powders and they are the ones I have the most of myself. Along with W231 & 296 and a few others but I reload a lot of calibers you don't apparently and I cast a lot of my own bullets too so it is always a lead bullet.

^^^^ H-110 in a 9mm??? Don't think so!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    ^^^^ H-110 in a 9mm??? Don't think so!

Why not? I use it and it works fine. Check Page 528 of the new Lee manual then try the load, worked great for me. :)

Unique is a good all around powder. It is so dirty though I try not to use it much and it doesn't meter well in my AutoDisk measure at all.
    Those were all mentioned before, just saying I agree. ;)

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    The three most used by me in the 3 out of 4 (I don't do .41Mag.), are in order:
    1. Tight group-A little dab will do you-Watch for double charge!

2 HP-38/WW-231-Very good across the board for most all.

3. HS-6-Can almost make Magnum loads with all 5 calipers listed, with safe pressures.

I use all three powders listed with good luck..Bill

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Appreciating the suggestions.

I'm not looking for A do all powder. Just things I can buy bulk of that are capable of cost effective and accurate reloads.

If I need one powder for the lead 9mm and .45, another for the fmj's, and something different for .40, I'm ok with that.

Ideally I'd like to have 2-3 that accomplish all the loads in the op, but if I need more than that to get the job done safely and effeciently that's what I need to know.

Thanks again for all the help so far

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Clays, Bullseye and W231 will cover much of what you want to load. It's a matter of choosing what you want to use. Add something like Titegroup and then I would find someone who can suggest the .40 & 10mm powder for you and you'd be set.

Personally, I have stocked up on Clays, Tite Group, W231 & W296 plus others I use for various rifles and such I also bought some to try out, like H110 and it was a nice 9mm shot with a cast 147 grain bullet. It burns clean and shoots accurately out of my Sig P226.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As many have said, Universal clays will work with all of them. There will probably be a few other powders that you will want to try for the 10 mm and 41, as they can probably benefit from a slower powder. I like h110 in my 44 mag, but after spending a couple years working with it, and trying it with different bullets and guns, it isnt very versatile. With H110, its either fast, or warp speed, reduced loads just dont work with it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    3. HS-6-Can almost make Magnum loads with all 5 calipers listed, with safe pressures.

Billybob, I have a couple of friends that really like HS-6 also, but I got bad news. I stopped in at Hodgdon last fall. I figured I would pick up some for my friends. It has been discontinued.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

Billybob, I have a couple of friends that really like HS-6 also, but I got bad news. I stopped in at Hodgdon last fall. I figured I would pick up some for my friends. It has been discontinued.

Leo, I hate to hear that..Looks like I'll have to pick up a couple more jugs of it, if I can??

Thanks again..Bill.

Top Bottom