• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Came across this on the U-Tube??
    Watch to the end of the video=The Author is nothing to look at, but He does make sense of this problem that we are now all in on the powder purchase mode...Worth the time...Bill.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The way to deal with the powder shortage is being able to improvise and adapt. I know its a pain to develop new loads but.... And when you do see the powder you "love" grab it and buy it. Unless the war in Ukraine suddenly stops or Hamas stops the war with Israel; it is going to keep the powder shortage going. My :twocents:!

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I was lucky enough to come into some extra funds a few years ago.
    I stocked up on bullets, powder, and primers, so this current draught isn't affecting me that much.
    I have my stockpile of commercial ammo stored away to fall back on, but I also have enough supplies to make several thousand rounds of the calibers I need.
    Like I said, I was lucky. Otherwise I'd be very restricted in my shooting right now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was lucky enough to come into some extra funds a few years ago.
    I stocked up on bullets, powder, and primers, so this current draught isn't affecting me that much.
    I have my stockpile of commercial ammo stored away to fall back on, but I also have enough supplies to make several thousand rounds of the calibers I need.
    Like I said, I was lucky. Otherwise I'd be very restricted in my shooting right now.
    I'm doing the opposite. bulk pistol ammo is back down to reasonable levels. And I think less than I can crank out myself.

So I'm buying cases of factory and reserving my reloading supplies for a rainy day.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I'm doing the opposite. bulk pistol ammo is back down to reasonable levels. And I think less than I can crank out myself.

So I'm buying cases of factory and reserving my reloading supplies for a rainy day.
    I’ve been stocking up on primers and projectiles for a while now.

I have quite a bit of powder, but I fear it’s not enough so I’m on the hunt for that now.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

I've been doing the same here recently. The prices are manageable for factory ammo especially talking 9mm.

I'm only reloading the heavy hitters for the time being. 308, 6.5 creedmoor, and 450 bushmaster as I can save significantly on those

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    We did our first of many trips to the National Matches this weekend, stopped at Fin Feather Fur, Bass Pro, and all the both on vendor row, primers & projectiles (even Bass Pro had primers) not much powder. I did see VarGet for $65/LB at Bass Pro seems to be the going rate.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can't think of any primary nitration works left in the US. Maybe it's still made here on a "boutique" basis for something like art conservation, but like most of the chemical industry, it's gone. The big difference between what we call industrial grade cotton and munition grade cotton is the degree of nitration along the cellulose chain, and it's not a lot. As I remember industrial was around and below 10% and munition was above 11% so it's not a lot of difference.

Government policy has chased most of the industrial chemical industry out of this country and it's not something that could be rebuilt overnight. It will be a "all you have is what you got" logistical situation if we are ever in a big war. Lose imports, and this country is shut down just about everywhere.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal

I don’t even load for pistol or .223 anymore, just precision and rifle competition loads. This hobby used to be about saving money, until you are buying $1000 tricklers. Lol At least I ended up with 25k BR2 match primers before the last price hike.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don’t even load for pistol or .223 anymore, just precision and rifle competition loads. This hobby used to be about saving money, until you are buying $1000 tricklers. Lol At least I ended up with 25k BR2 match primers before the last price hike.
    Gotta ask, whats the need for a $1,000 powder trickler?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Gotta ask, whats the need for a $1,000 powder trickler?
    Well, I guess more like $1400 on mine. For me, peace of mind and speed. I use an FX120i and a Supertrickler, but have used Auto trickers in the past. It can be accurate within 0.02 of a grain, and once programmed, throws them pretty consistently (I keep mine at +/- .02 (.04 resolution) for speed.

In reality, it’s not that necessary when you are in a good speed node, but as competitive as F-class is, I take absolutely every advantage I can get. Obvious not just the trickler, but I typical run 5-7 SD over 20-25 rounds with low teens ES and it can hold as tight at 0.1 moa @ 100 from a bench and heavy rests. Every variable I can eliminate as a possible issue helps me with everything else and I need ammo that is consistently .25 moa or better. But who am I kidding, I do all this crap, then miss a wind change and fall on my face.

Top Bottom