• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Greetings INGO,

I need a bit of clarification. It is rather bothersome to me that ammunition can not be shipped via USPS, and I thought I'd give old Schoolhouse Rock's "I'm Just a Bill" a listen.

My only roadblock is I'm not sure if it's a law or a regulation that ammunition can't be shipped. The way I'm reading it what is/isn't shippable is a regulation decided upon internally by the Post Office, and it is law that violating a postal regulation is illegal. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/39/3018 Am I thinking correct, or does it take an act of Congress to change postal regulations?

Thanks,

BogWalker

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But whether its a law or a postal regulation, isnt it irrelevant? Or do you plan on suing the USPS over what you perceive to be an improper/illegal regulation to overturn it? I say percieved because I have not thought it out enough to have an opinion either way.

EDIT: Or are you simply fishing for "If its only regulation, can I still quietly ship ammo and only get my hand slapped if they find out?" (as opposed to getting fined or jail time)

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    But whether its a law or a postal regulation, isnt it irrelevant? Or do you plan on suing the USPS over what you perceive to be an improper/illegal regulation to overturn it? I say percieved because I have not thought it out enough to have an opinion either way.

EDIT: Or are you simply fishing for "If its only regulation, can I still quietly ship ammo and only get my hand slapped if they find out?" (as opposed to getting fined or jail time)
    If it's a law there are ways to change it, hence the "I'm Just a Bill" reference. If it's a regulation then only the Post Office could decide to change it. In that case I suppose a lawsuit could be possible, but that's not a fight myself or anyone is probably prepared to make. If there's a law that can be repealed/amended to change the situation it's at least worth contacting my representatives about. A far shot, but nothing is going to happen sitting on your hands.

I know it's illegal to ship ammo USPS. The question is just how specifically, and that how will decide what the best possible method of attempting change would be.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom