• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

Moving forward with the 1911 build party, I'd like to see exactly what we'll be looking at.

The main focus will be a complete tear down and rebuild of the pistol.

Springs should be replaced at this time, but also hammers, sears, triggers, and other aftermarket parts may be installed if you wish to do so.

Meantime, I'd like to get ideas of what you'd like to do.

I'm starting a separate thread for this because the other one ( 1911 Build Party? ) is more centered around planning the event.

So, what would you be wanting to do to your respective pistol(s)?

Thanks,

Josh

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My first goal is education. All the hows and whys.
    IE -
    -Why do you change springs on a working gun?
    -Different spring weights. How do you determine?

Eventually, I'd like to improve my trigger, grip safety and consider removing the Swartz safety system. These are things I'd like to do on my own from what I've learned at the build party.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    hello josh, my name is kurtis. I'm working on getting the Springfield US GI. I actually like the lo-pro sights that are on it. That said, I'd like to get a beavertail, bigger hammer, and lower trigger pull. anything else you'd suggest would be appreciated. I do want it to stay simple tho, so I can show up my 2 brothers overpriced Kimbers.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I honestly just want to learn how to do a complete teardown. That way when i cant figure out how to put it back together someone can hold my hand and walk me through it, lol. :D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Id like to replace my hammer and my ambi-saftey but have little or no clue how to do so and dont want to srew my 1911 up :D

Hello,

What type of hammer do you have now, and what type are you wanting?

We can put a new hammer and safety in during the rebuild, but the hammer will have to be compatible with the grip safety you currently have...

Josh

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    hello josh, my name is kurtis. I'm working on getting the Springfield US GI. I actually like the lo-pro sights that are on it. That said, I'd like to get a beavertail, bigger hammer, and lower trigger pull. anything else you'd suggest would be appreciated. I do want it to stay simple tho, so I can show up my 2 brothers overpriced Kimbers.

Hello,

Trigger jobs are easy enough.

We may or may not get into doing the beavertail stuff; we will have to see. There's a gent here who says he'll do the cuts (I think - he said he can), but it does take a while.

If you'd like to stay simple, I'd just suggest a wide spur grip safety for comfort, keep the standard hammer, get a trigger that fits your finger (do you have small, medium or large hands?), the proper mainspring housing (do you prefer arched or flat?)

What do you mean by a bigger hammer? The GI should have a spur hammer - maybe a wide spur hammer?

If you want the pistol to outshoot the competition, a match bushing (or perhaps a Briley spherical bushing) would need to be fitted. The Briley comes from the factory ordered to your specs. You have to take measurements with a dial caliper, and order 1/1000th over.

We could conceivably peen the slide rails, but do you want to spend your time lapping the slide in? It's a PITA and takes a while.

Personally, if I were building this into a carry gun for myself, I would do the following:

Wide grip safety

Wide spur hammer

Long solid Al trigger

5lb trigger pull

Ambi safety (in my case, since I'm a lefty)

Polish the feed ramp

Find some Wilson 47, seven round mags and check everything for full function.

Josh

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I want to add a beaver tail, speed bump grip safety, trigger, and work on accuracy. Obivisoly not all this at the build party, I would be happy just to do a complete tear down. Just to be around to see how fitting the parts works would be great. I want to learn all I can and apperciate the opportunity. Thanks

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Hello,

What type of hammer do you have now, and what type are you wanting?

We can put a new hammer and safety in during the rebuild, but the hammer will have to be compatible with the grip safety you currently have...

Josh
    I have a Taurus 1911 been 100% reliable through 1500 rnds. Its got the hammer with the taurus safley deal on it where you can lock the hammer so it cant be fired. Not realy sure what hammer would be conpatable but I like the looks of the skeletonized hammer and realy have no need for a ambi safety so Id like to do away with it. Thanks any suggestions would be great.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    Josh, I don't know what all you just said, so whenever this is date set and ready, I will be there. Hopefully I will have my USGI by that time.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd like to cut a couple sears if someone has a nice jig.
    :+1:

I might also want to replace the hammer and grip safety on a full size Springfield. It would also be good to discuss exactly what a good trigger is, and what other issues to look out for. For instance, my full size Springfield has a loose trigger that I'd like to correct.

Top Bottom