Positive (?) experience OC ing last night.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    So, I OC'd after work, like usual. I was meeting some friends at the Old Point Tavern downtown. As we were walking from a buddy's house (I'm not paying for parking) I was getting lots of strange looks from pedestrians. Walked into the bar, greeted our friends and ordered. One of our friends works in politics, do it was politically charged conversation all evening. Never had an issue from police, the servers, the patrons, but my friends sort of freaked as conversation shifted to 2a discussion. All but one of our group had no idea I carried. Then I got the question everyone asks... "Why do you need a gun/Why are you carrying that?" And because they are friends, I didn't give them the smart a$$ answer, but gave my honest reasoning.

I just thought it was interesting that total strangers had no problem (at least they didn't visualize any) with my firearm, but my close friends were in shock. Overall, it was a good experience and I got to educate my friends about legislation and firearms in general.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Then I got the question everyone asks... "Why do you need a gun/Why are you carrying that?" And because they are friends, I didn't give them the smart a$$ answer, but gave my honest reasoning.

I always respond with "Why do YOU think I'm carrying it?" I'm always astounded by their responses and it usually makes them stop and think honestly for a second about why someone would want to carry a gun. Believe it or not, I've never gotten the usual Anti answers: "Because you want to be a cowboy/wannabe cop/etc.?", "Because you're compensating for something?", and so forth.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I always respond with "Why do YOU think I'm carrying it?" I'm always astounded by their responses and it usually makes them stop and think honestly for a second about why someone would want to carry a gun. Believe it or not, I've never gotten the usual Anti answers: "Because you want to be a cowboy/wannabe cop/etc.?", "Because you're compensating for something?", and so forth.

I like that approach. Come on, Scutter; turn on your rep so I can +1 you!

I was recently out for some friends for my cousin's bachelor party. Most of the people there were friends of his that I didn't know too well. My cousin was the only one who knows I carry, and I was CC all night (even at Hooters, I swear I didn't see the signs ;))

When we got back to his place, my cousin said something about the "no gun signs," and one of his friends said, "You carry a gun? Why?"

Before I could even respond, my cousin (who is from a small town) piped up with, "Umn... because he lives in Indianapolis?"

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Strangers either don't really notice much of anything and/or, if they do, they often (not always) mind their own business.

Friends and family, who are often closer to you, are less likely to be reserved about asking and will more likely be willing to discuss issues of carrying and firearms in general.

Also, strangers are only in your proximity for moments at a time, whereas friends and family will likely be around you for longer periods. It follows that they're likely to have more opportunity to notice OC, or even a poorly executed (pardon the pun) CC.

When I first started to CC, people who knew were initially inquisitive but, as time passed, either were more comfortable with the idea or lost interest. When I started to OC last spring, a similar pattern existed with friends who weren't aware that I had already been carrying CC previously. After the "novelty" (to them) wore off, they all seemed comfortable about it and the topic of 2A and firearms are now really only a point of discussion among other friends who carry and/or are interested in talking about the new rifle, pistol, and/or shotgun they just got.

While I'm not an OC veteran, I've experienced very, very, few people who have indicated in any way that they had "issues" with someone carrying a firearm in plain sight. When it did happen, such issues were rather minor, and much more about being interested in the reasons why I carried rather being offended by it. I've never been refused service or asked to leave because of OC.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Soooo, what did you say? I OC more often then I CC and the average person just does not notice the black pistol in a black holster clipped on my belt.(even though it is a full frame 9mm) I have never had anyone who does not know me ask why I had it. I did freak my Step mom out once when I was CC and it was pinching me while I sat on her couch and I said "excuse me I have fix this" when I pulled the whole tuck holster with the gun in it out of my pants and adjusted my things. But, she got over it pretty quickly.

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Just to chime in with an agreement here but I just starting carrying about six months ago and found CC so annoying and difficult I just starting OC'ing after about two months. In that time I have been amazed at what an absolute non-issue it has been.

TVon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    It seems like the only safe place to OC is in a bar. It nearly eliminates the risk of a 5 year old girl taking your gun away. That is, of course, only if she doesn't have a fake ID.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Just to chime in with an agreement here but I just starting carrying about six months ago and found CC so annoying and difficult I just starting OC'ing after about two months. In that time I have been amazed at what an absolute non-issue it has been.

I agee completely. Cc, our at least IWB, just doesn't work for me. And nobody even looks at my hip.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Why would you carry a gun? I told my wife today that after the shooting at the salon in Cally the other day I might just say "screw the glock. I'll sit in the waiting area with my Mossberg pump while you get your hair cut next week." Seriously, turn the question around next time a bud or semi-aquaintance asks why. Ask them how many divorced/separated people are in the bar, whose ex may have a restraining order against them, who might walk in and catch their wife with another man, etc. What do they plan on doing if all hell breaks loose? It ought to get them to thinking.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

:yesway: I like to answer questions based on suspect logic with my own and force them to face their premises with a more critical eye. Up until now I have not had what I consider to be an "answer" question that didn't come off as overly brusque or snarky. I like this one....though depending on the person, I'll still keep the "Why do you NOT carry?" in reserve. :draw:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Then OC'ing is working. The more folks that OC (at least once in a while), the less of an issue it presents. We need to get the sheep used to seeing good people carrying a gun and taking responsibility for their safety. I can't wait for the day when an OC'r is more likely to get a comment on holster choice than on why they carry.

jcharrison05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Richmond
    Then OC'ing is working. The more folks that OC (at least once in a while), the less of an issue it presents. We need to get the sheep used to seeing good people carrying a gun and taking responsibility for their safety. I can't wait for the day when an OC'r is more likely to get a comment on holster choice than on why they carry.
    I like that! Nice choice of leather you got there.

Top Bottom