• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavallo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    Just posting this for learning / entertainment purposes...

I just recently started working up a 38 Special load. One of the powders that I have on-hand and that has published 38 Special load data is Longshot. Longshot is fantastic for 40 S&W and 10 Auto but I didn't like it for 45 Auto. I figured I would give it a try in 38. I recall that Longshot can be position sensitive in some cartridges so I thought I would put it to the test.

My test procedure:
    • I can't find a "starting" load for 38+P it so I took the published max +P and subtracted 10% as a starting point
    • I loaded rounds of 38 Special / +P with: 6.3gr, 6.5gr, 6.8gr and 7.0gr
    • All test loads were fired from the same gun (a Rossi RP63, which is a 357 Magnum with 3" barrel)
    • Temperature was 83 degrees (today 7-Jul-2024)
    • For each charge weight I fired 5 or 6 shots for each orientation (See Orientation below) over a chronograph and averaged the velocities
    • All bullets were 125gn X-Treme FP
    • Primers were standard small (not magnum)
    ** The orientations are UP, DOWN and FLAT...

UP: I placed the ammo on the table nose-up (letting powder fall to the back of the case nearest the primer.) I loaded and shot each round one at a time. When I loaded the round, I kept the bullet nose-up as long as possible and then flat (horizontal to ground) until it fired, leaving the powder near the primer in the case.

DOWN: I loaded the ammo in a nose-down orientation (letting powder fall to the front of the case nearest the bullet.) I loaded and shot each round one at a time. When I loaded the round, the revolver was pointed at the ground and I slowly raised the gun to firing position, leaving the powder near the bullet in the case.

FLAT: I placed the rounds on their side on a table and rolled them around to distribute the powder. I loaded and shot each round one at a time. When I loaded the round, I picked it up from the table (it was on its side) and kept the round parallel to the ground as I loaded the round and fired it.

Here are the results from the lowest velocity to the highest:
    GunPowder (type)Powder (gn)OrientationAverage fps
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.3Down
    334​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.5Down
    555​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.8Down
    678​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot7.0Down
    697​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.3Flat
    711​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.5Flat
    725​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.8Flat
    739​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.3Up
    847​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot7.0Flat
    899​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.5Up
    927​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.8Up
    935​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot7.0Up
    972​

As you can see Longshot is VERY position sensitive in a 38 Special case. Some of the "DOWN" rounds were so light I literally double-checked the barrel to make sure the bullet cleared it. Longshot will develop some respectable velocities but only if the powder is near the primer. If you are firing a whole cylinder of Longshot rounds in 38 or 357, you will frequently notice the first round as being very light but the recoil of the first shot will usually cause enough movement of the powder in the other cartridges that the subsequent shots are closer to "flat" velocity (unless you point the gun down between shots.)

Just thought I'd share some nerd stuff. Obviously I won't be using Longshot as my go-to powder for 38 or 357.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Thanks for the "Study" on this...
    Yeah, I often wondered what a small powder charge of TiteGroup/Bullseye ect would do with a VERY THIN wad-no thicker than business card down on the powder, to hold it to the primer, would run??
    If nothing else, the velocities should run more even, if not over pressured??..Bill.

cavallo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    Thanks for the "Study" on this...
    Yeah, I often wondered what a small powder charge of TiteGroup/Bullseye ect would do with a VERY THIN wad-no thicker than business card down on the powder, to hold it to the primer, would run??
    If nothing else, the velocities should run more even, if not over pressured??..Bill.
    Interestingly, TiteGroup was another powder I tried and I didn't notice anything inconsistent with it. I did that experiment with Longshot because the difference from the first shot to the rest was HUGE and I suspected it was position that was driving it.

I'm going to try a similar study with TiteGroup and if it is relatively consistent, that may be my go-to powder for 38.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Just posting this for learning / entertainment purposes...

I just recently started working up a 38 Special load. One of the powders that I have on-hand and that has published 38 Special load data is Longshot. Longshot is fantastic for 40 S&W and 10 Auto but I didn't like it for 45 Auto. I figured I would give it a try in 38. I recall that Longshot can be position sensitive in some cartridges so I thought I would put it to the test.

My test procedure:
    • I can't find a "starting" load for 38+P it so I took the published max +P and subtracted 10% as a starting point
    • I loaded rounds of 38 Special / +P with: 6.3gr, 6.5gr, 6.8gr and 7.0gr
    • All test loads were fired from the same gun (a Rossi RP63, which is a 357 Magnum with 3" barrel)
    • Temperature was 83 degrees (today 7-Jul-2024)
    • For each charge weight I fired 5 or 6 shots for each orientation (See Orientation below) over a chronograph and averaged the velocities
    • All bullets were 125gn X-Treme FP
    • Primers were standard small (not magnum)
    ** The orientations are UP, DOWN and FLAT...

UP: I placed the ammo on the table nose-up (letting powder fall to the back of the case nearest the primer.) I loaded and shot each round one at a time. When I loaded the round, I kept the bullet nose-up as long as possible and then flat (horizontal to ground) until it fired, leaving the powder near the primer in the case.

DOWN: I loaded the ammo in a nose-down orientation (letting powder fall to the front of the case nearest the bullet.) I loaded and shot each round one at a time. When I loaded the round, the revolver was pointed at the ground and I slowly raised the gun to firing position, leaving the powder near the bullet in the case.

FLAT: I placed the rounds on their side on a table and rolled them around to distribute the powder. I loaded and shot each round one at a time. When I loaded the round, I picked it up from the table (it was on its side) and kept the round parallel to the ground as I loaded the round and fired it.

Here are the results from the lowest velocity to the highest:
    GunPowder (type)Powder (gn)OrientationAverage fps
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.3Down
    334​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.5Down
    555​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.8Down
    678​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot7.0Down
    697​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.3Flat
    711​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.5Flat
    725​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.8Flat
    739​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.3Up
    847​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot7.0Flat
    899​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.5Up
    927​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot6.8Up
    935​
    Rossi RP63 (3" barrel)Hodgdon Longshot7.0Up
    972​

As you can see Longshot is VERY position sensitive in a 38 Special case. Some of the "DOWN" rounds were so light I literally double-checked the barrel to make sure the bullet cleared it. Longshot will develop some respectable velocities but only if the powder is near the primer. If you are firing a whole cylinder of Longshot rounds in 38 or 357, you will frequently notice the first round as being very light but the recoil of the first shot will usually cause enough movement of the powder in the other cartridges that the subsequent shots are closer to "flat" velocity (unless you point the gun down between shots.)

Just thought I'd share some nerd stuff. Obviously I won't be using Longshot as my go-to powder for 38 or 357.
    Heres some advice from a guy that has reloaded close to 50 years now, be very careful with using short charges of slow burning powder. There is a reason some powders don't have the data you seek. It dangerous.
    Things can quickly go from mild to wild with going with smaller weights of slow burners. Longshot is a slow burner.
    I'm very aware of what can happen with a short charge of a slow burner.
    I have a 10 1/2" super blackhawk in 44 mag I blew up 35-40 years ago.
    I still have it, If I remember tomorrow I will post again the pictures of it.
    I loaded that ammo on a Dillon 450 machine.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Heres some advice from a guy that has reloaded close to 50 years now, be very careful with using short charges of slow burning powder. There is a reason some powders don't have the data you seek. It dangerous.
    Things can quickly go from mild to wild with going with smaller weights of slow burners. Longshot is a slow burner.
    I'm very aware of what can happen with a short charge of a slow burner.
    I have a 10 1/2" super blackhawk in 44 mag I blew up 35-40 years ago.
    I still have it, If I remember tomorrow I will post again the pictures of it.
    I loaded that ammo on a Dillon 450 machine.
    A short charge of H110 can detonate also. Never go below minimum with that one.

Top Bottom