• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I am considering porting my vent rib shotgun barrel myself. Im starting with a 28 inch and cutting it down to 20 inch. Is there anything that I need to know or do before I get started? Does it matter how far back from the muzzle I should start or stop? Any patterns I should or shouldn't do? Any advise appreciated.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Punisher,

Sounds like your trying to convert a field barrel to a HD one, if so you might want to consider not porting it, the flash of burning gas that'll jet up out of them could temporarily cause vision problems in low light (remember your probably going to be sighting straight down the barrel).

I always recomind that folks avoid ported/porting firearms for SD/HD for that reason.

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    Punisher,

Sounds like your trying to convert a field barrel to a HD one, if so you might want to consider not porting it, the flash of burning gas that'll jet up out of them could temporarily cause vision problems in low light (remember your probably going to be sighting straight down the barrel).

I always recomind that folks avoid ported/porting firearms for SD/HD for that reason.

I agree ^^^^^. I carry my G27, so if someone is in the house when I get home, I will be using that. When I go to bed, the Glock is put away, and then 870 comes out. Most likely if I every have to use my 870 (Pray to God I never have to) it is going to be in the dark/minimal light. If you have every shot a gun at night, you would understand why this might be a bad idea.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Thanks for the input. I will hold off on porting for now. I did some research and it doesnt seem that porting a shotgun helps all that much anyways.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Did more research and talk to a few folk. Porting doesn't help so much with the recoil but is affective on reducing muzzle flip. Decided to go ahead and port. I plan on doing it today. I have already taped off my barrel for my porting lines. I have pics and will post tonight once the job is done.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Taping up barrel so I can see my lines I wan to use for drilling.

DSC02673-1.jpg

DSC02676.jpg

Im not worried about the marks on the barrel because I am going to sand blast it and paint it.

DSC02692.jpg

DSC02693.jpg

DSC02696.jpg

All in all it turned out pretty good for my first porting job...

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Turned out pretty nice... from one home porter to another get yourself a couple nice tapered stone dremel bits and just lightly touch each port now it really cleans it up nicely and gives it that I didn't do this in my Garage look.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    I plead the 5th. I cannot post pics of my porting.

Not sure how you laid yours out, but I laid my out on a nice flat surface then just wrapped it around the barrel made it so much easier. I tried taping the barrel then laying it out and that didn't fly so I made a nice scale "blueprint" then wrapped it around the barrel taped it in place and went to the drill press. after words I chucked up a ball mill bit. (I suggested a dremel bit to you because I figured not everyone has end or ball mill bits available.) and set the dept on my drill table so each one went the same depth and dressed out the holes.

It was beautiful but I had to destroy it because some dumbass thought 16.5 was a good shotgun barrel length and it is NOT!!!!!! makes the mossy 1.75 inches to short. So I destroyed the barrel and am waiting on my new 18.5 barrel so I can port it.

Top Bottom