• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firstrock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A co-worker of mine is selling his Polytech M1 with walnut pistol grip stock for around $450. I've seen pics of the gun and it looks to be in good shape but I know NOTHING about M1's. I'm having him bring it to work so I can get a better look at it. What should I be looking for and what are these guns generally worth?

I'm not really looking for an M1 right now but I surely won't pass on a good deal!

Thoughts? Comments?

TIA

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I would consider that a great deal as long as it is fair condition. There are some differences in the Polytech and the springfields. Main thing I believe is the bolt being non usgi along with some other things but definately not enough to keep someone from buying one at that price.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I would buy it, shoot it for awhile.... flip it for double and then buy something else. Nothing really wrong with the Chi-coms, but theres just something not right with them.

I discovered this when I did a side by side comparsion w/ an USGI M1A years ago.... and the ones that love the Chi-coms usually have them gone over, USGI bolt replacements, sage stocks etc.... so theres not much of the original rifles left. To each their own.... I like the traditional M14 style and look of the rifles and USGI parts.

thomjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    Thet are forged receivers, I have 2 and they shoot very well. Great basis for a high $$ build in my opinion. Some issues with rear sights and some had soft bolts, check the headspace regularly. I will buy if you don't:)

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    A co-worker of mine is selling his Polytech M1 with walnut pistol grip stock for around $450. I've seen pics of the gun and it looks to be in good shape but I know NOTHING about M1's. I'm having him bring it to work so I can get a better look at it. What should I be looking for and what are these guns generally worth?

I'm not really looking for an M1 right now but I surely won't pass on a good deal!

Thoughts? Comments?

TIA

You mean M14. It looks like an M1 though..

For $450 that is a steal. They usually go for $800-1000 depending on condition and area.

The Chinese M14's look with a true flash suppressor installed look more like a real USGI M14 than a Springfield M1A does IMO

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    $450 is a steal. I definetely would take it for that price. Polytech's don't have the best reputation for M1A but for this price can't be beat

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Polytech's don't have the best reputation for M1A but for this price can't be beat

Where did you hear that?

A Polytech is more problem free than most Springfield M1A's out of the box.

I have owned both.

Polytech's also have the closest to USGI spec forged receiver. The Springfields are cast.

There are pluses and minuses to both brands however the Polytech is a good quality rifle for the money. The Springfields are nice as well and come with a lifetime warranty but you will pay more for them.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ditto Sporter above!

Yes I agree with Sporter also.
    The IDE import Polytech were the last ones in and the nices ones also. Machine work nice, a "Walnut" stock!! That looked much better then the first ones that were imported. Has anyone here seen Lee Emerson's book, "M14 Rifle History and Development"? Super information in Lee's book if you are interested in the M14/M1A :yesway:.

firstrock will you believe me now with what everyone else has said about the Polytech that it is no good and you should get it to me so I can properly take care of it as soon as you can :rolleyes:!
    I would say $450 is a great buy today for one unless, you can find one for $400!! I have one, I changed the rear sight out with USGI just in case. I was having no trouble with it I just done it. The one I removed was giving to a friend that is still using it with no troubles yet. The bolts are not made from the right steel so they can wear fast. Keep a eye on head space and you should be good. Get a USGI bolt and send it to WarBird in Texas for a bolt job and you will be set!!!!

one more

Top Bottom