POLL Which aircraft is the best Air to Air brawler?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which aircraft is best at Air to Air combat?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    You forgot to list the F/A-18 Hornet and Super Hornet. Kind of a mixed question since we dont know what aircraft "we" are up against. Obviously the older aircraft would not stand a chance up against the modern ones assuming both pilots are equal. The Tomcat turns on a dime..but it is heavy and shows that disadvantage after coming out of a sharp turn. Im gonna have to go with a F/A-18C Hornet (no RIO) since the Super Hornets (E/F models) werent commissioned yet when I left the Navy in 10/98.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    F22 no questions asked.. Do we really think that any of the others can hang with it?

BVM? Absolutely not.

ACM? Pretty much anything, even with F-22s thrust vectoring, if Lock-Mart hasn't fixed the oxygen system.

My heart says P-51 due to its impact in its time period, but my head chose F-15 due to its combat record. And frankly to be fair the Su-35 should be on there as well as the Super Hornet, and the F8F Bearcat (though I love seeing the Hellcat on there). The Viper and Rhino can be removed.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm still sticking with the tomcat... It might be heavy, but strap two of the GE engines on it (on B's and D's) and it was stupid maneuverable! And it didn't have to catch anybody, the AIM-54 Phoenix had a range up to 1 mile:evilangel:

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Common sense STILL reigns supreme here, so of COURSE were talking in their time.

With all due respect, the "common sense" aspect apparently wasn't evident in the staging of the poll, judging by the number of F-22 votes. Had you mentioned the "Best of Their Era" qualifier, I think you'd see a much broader spread.

Absent that qualifier, the movie "The Final Countdown" comes immediately to mind. Poor Zeros had no chance against the VF-84 Tomcats. ;)

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    In WHAT realm of common sense would someone pit a WW2 fighter up against an F22 Raptor?

Its a multiple choice poll anyway. Jeez

Top Bottom