83o1bkosuqn01.png

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That's a rare thing. I know how to iron. But I'm not 17 either. My wife knows how to iron. We haven't even had an iron in the house for ... actually, I can't remember when. Probably not since casual Fridays turned into all week. I used to have to dress professionally, but since then no, need to iron dress shirts or put sharp creases in trousers. I go to work casually.

But to millennials I'm probably dressed too formally. Gosh, I was in a meeting the other day with several other engineers, and this one kid had hair frizzed out and unkempt, was wearing pajama shorts and a tee shirt, with his feet in flip-flops. Looked like he literally just rolled out of bed and somehow arrived at work.

So no. I think ironing is mostly a dead skill.

I have am iron under the kitchen sink. Occasionally I need to laminate something.

The old one that is in my truck got dropped off the ironing board and i hot glued it back together.. I use it to apply pre-glued edging on the job.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    603 years ago, the French were about to destroy Henry V's army on his way to Calais. Ordinary Parisians numbering 6,000 volunteered to be a part of this great battle....until the French nobility expressed their horror AT ARMING ORDINARY CIVILIANS. Weapons in the hands of peasants and merchants would reduce the control of the feudal lords over common folk, particularly since many were now demanding compensation for working feudal estates after the labor supply had been decimated by plagues in the prior century.

I've always remembered that lesson from my history studies in high school. The nobility became horrified that common people were armed.

It seems to me that the children's march on Washington is no different than the children's crusade in 1212. Misguided. Naive. Idiotic.

ps. The french cavaliers and Genoeses crossbowmen outnumbered Henry's army by at least 3 to 1. However, on St. Crispin's Day, Henry was successful at Agincourt, decimating a generation of the elite of France, from which, arguably, they failed to fully recover.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    603 years ago, the French were about to destroy Henry V's army on his way to Calais. Ordinary Parisians numbering 6,000 volunteered to be a part of this great battle....until the French nobility expressed their horror AT ARMING ORDINARY CIVILIANS. Weapons in the hands of peasants and merchants would reduce the control of the feudal lords over common folk, particularly since many were now demanding compensation for working feudal estates after the labor supply had been decimated by plagues in the prior century.

I've always remembered that lesson from my history studies in high school. The nobility became horrified that common people were armed.

It seems to me that the children's march on Washington is no different than the children's crusade in 1212. Misguided. Naive. Idiotic.

ps. The french cavaliers and Genoeses crossbowan outnumbered Henry's army by at least 3 to 1. However, on St. Crispin's Day, Henry was successful at Agincourt, decimating a generation of the elite of France, from which, arguably, they failed to fully recover.

This I'd like to know more about, as I don't think (and I don't know for sure), that it was a question of wanting a disarmed populace because they were easier to control, but rather because arming peasants, with what I assume are swords, creates a social status issue. Remember that the Longbow, was considered a dishonorable weapon, because it allowed "cheap" kills; which incidentally the English use of, was made famous at Agincourt.
    Traditionally, throughout the world, certain weapons have held status for nobility, and the use of by "lesser persons" was frowned upon, and could even lead to death. This had little to do with effectiveness of the weapon, but the social superiority it implied. Like I said, I don't know for sure, but would certainly like to know more about how such was viewed by the French.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom