• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It looks as if a producer was trying to break the tension and partly accomplished it. I hope that we pray that these kids can over come the PTS that they are sure to experience.Pray for the kids, they've been through a time that will color the rest of their lives.

There I go again "feeling".

I as well....I pray for the survivors as well...I pray for peace in their hearts...

I hope your right about the "producer breaking the tension" but I saw the other photos from this moment as well....Every one deals with grief their own way...Some somber and some with grins...I am of the somber school but it's not my place to judge...

Fair point Falcon....:ingo:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I as well....I pray for the survivors as well...I pray for peace in their hearts...

I hope your right about the "producer breaking the tension" but I saw the other photos from this moment as well....Every one deals with grief their own way...Some somber and some with grins...I am of the somber school but it's not my place to judge...

Fair point Falcon....:ingo:

In my experiences in the military there was always a high degree of gallows humor whenever something really terrible happened. It's just how some people deal with it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In my experiences in the military there was always a high degree of gallows humor whenever something really terrible happened. It's just how some people deal with it.

I myself have been accused of it....I sometimes think it's an American thing....My cousin just got on a local police department and they had a body that was in pretty bad shape. The coroner is an attractive young blonde lady. A little bitty thing...He said he was nervous and felt bad for her that she was coming on the scene and hoped she could handle it and hold herself together...

When she got there she knelt down to the body, flicked her finger on a bone sticking out, and looking up at my cousin grinned and said, "Well damn!!!! That's not supposed to be there!!!!"

Maybe a defense mechanism??? Harden yourself???? Laughter to take away the pain???

Thank you for your service Birds...:ingo:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I myself have been accused of it....I sometimes think it's an American thing....My cousin just got on a local police department and they had a body that was in pretty bad shape. The coroner is an attractive young blonde lady. A little bitty thing...He said he was nervous and felt bad for her that she was coming on the scene and hoped she could handle it and hold herself together...

When she got there she knelt down to the body, flicked her finger on a bone sticking out, and looking up at my cousin grinned and said, "Well damn!!!! That's not supposed to be there!!!!"

Maybe a defense mechanism??? Harden yourself???? Laughter to take away the pain???

Thank you for your service Birds...:ingo:

I think the clinical term is disassociativity. Not a doc though, just been through their doors a lot.

It's when you disassociate something from what it really is, and yes it is a coping mechanism. If a dead body is not a person, but a meat sack, then it's a lot easier to deal with. It's a common mental defense so that your brain doesn't go all cooky-dukes during a stressful situation. People do the same thing during a fire fight, whether they realize it or not. People are always identified as Targets, or some colorful slur. When it's just a thing, it's easier to shoot it or blow it up. If you didn't do that, then there would be something seriously wrong with you as it defies a person's natural order to kill something. A lot of people even have a hard time killing animals if they can't think of it as food.

Men are better at it than women since men have more of a proclivity toward compartmentalization.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You do have to square things eventuality as your brain will begin to realize that it really was a person at some point. That's when people need someone to talk to or a shoulder to cry on.

If you don't do this, and attempt to stay in your dissociative state, then it can bleed into your home life. I've seen this tear families apart. It can also lead to depression and suicide.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

First DOA I ever saw (while in FTO) was a guy who was a health nut, great shape, my FTO was talking to another officer at the table the guy was slumped over at, and they were giggling. I was horrified. I tried to be all somber and gloomy. My FTO waved me over, and he told me to inspect the body to see if I could figure out what happened. I was a noob so I had no idea. The other officer took a pen, stuck it in his mouth and lifted up his head. A big chunk of granola popped out... and they started laughing again. The poor guy died chocking on a damn granola bar. His healthy lifestyle literally killed him. I kinda cracked a smile, but I was still uneasy about it... a year later, I was giggling with them.

The only thing you don't laugh about is kids, and late teens (17-19) don't count... everyone else, fair game.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Step with me into the Wayback Machine...

I was a young cop running what Cincinnati PD calls a "scout" car which is essentially a police ambulance with stretchers used to transport corpses. I had received a DOA run which proved to be a middle-aged guy who had died of natural causes alone in a cheap apartment, more like a room. He was lying in bed nude, and as male corpses sometimes do he had a rather prominent erection.

I had a ride-along that day, a young female law student from the University of Cincinnati. I managed to keep her out of the room while we wrapped the guy up and strapped him down on the stretcher. He was in full rigor mortis.

It was a very old building with turns so narrow that we could not negotiate them with the stretcher in a horizontal position. We had to hold it vertically to get around corners.

As we turned the last corner before reaching the main hallway our passenger slid out from the straps AND the sheet in which he had been wrapped. He landed on his back on the floor like a frozen cod with his member waving like a flagpole. The look on the young student's face was priceless.

My comrades and I looked at each other and did pretty much what you'd expect a group of street cops to do. We busted out laughing like a bunch of drunken hyenas and howled until there were tears streaming down our faces.

The young lady and I had a long conversation on the drive to the morgue about how cops employ black humor to mitigate the horrors that we see on an ongoing basis.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    25crwn.jpg

OMG, I haven't seen a hairstyle like that since the 50's! (Bringing back Brylcream?) No wonder Tide is in trouble. :dunno:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    We were on a port visit in Bahrain when an airliner crashed on takeoff. The carrier has several boats so we spent all night fishing the bodies out. Being just off shore the water wasn't very deep so, with the lights we had rigged, it was very easy to see the bottom. I'll never forget what seemed like an endless row of children's shoes. I can still see them in my mind's eye. It seemed to go on and on. So many little shoes. Anyway, I agree with the part about the children being off limits.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    We were on a port visit in Bahrain when an airliner crashed on takeoff. The carrier has several boats so we spent all night fishing the bodies out. Being just off shore the water wasn't very deep so, with the lights we had rigged, it was very easy to see the bottom. I'll never forget what seemed like an endless row of children's shoes. I can still see them in my mind's eye. It seemed to go on and on. So many little shoes. Anyway, I agree with the part about the children being off limits.

That is very sad, I'm sorry you had to go through that. :(

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Step with me into the Wayback Machine...

I was a young cop running what Cincinnati PD calls a "scout" car which is essentially a police ambulance with stretchers used to transport corpses. I had received a DOA run which proved to be a middle-aged guy who had died of natural causes alone in a cheap apartment, more like a room. He was lying in bed nude, and as male corpses sometimes do he had a rather prominent erection.

I had a ride-along that day, a young female law student from the University of Cincinnati. I managed to keep her out of the room while we wrapped the guy up and strapped him down on the stretcher. He was in full rigor mortis.

It was a very old building with turns so narrow that we could not negotiate them with the stretcher in a horizontal position. We had to hold it vertically to get around corners.

As we turned the last corner before reaching the main hallway our passenger slid out from the straps AND the sheet in which he had been wrapped. He landed on his back on the floor like a frozen cod with his member waving like a flagpole. The look on the young student's face was priceless.

My comrades and I looked at each other and did pretty much what you'd expect a group of street cops to do. We busted out laughing like a bunch of drunken hyenas and howled until there were tears streaming down our faces.

The young lady and I had a long conversation on the drive to the morgue about how cops employ black humor to mitigate the horrors that we see on an ongoing basis.

My in-laws were in the funeral business and had to pick up bodies all the time. Sometimes they would ask for help, as you know bodies are a bit unwieldy. My wife's uncle tells a story about how he helped to load a body and while they were driving to the funeral home, it sat STRAIGHT UP in the back of the car. He completely freaked out at the time, but it's a hilarious story to hear him tell it now.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Corpses are capable of antics that are not amusing for the unprepared.

Those that die with air still in their lungs, when they're moved and the air is expelled and passes through their vocal cords will groan. I had more than one police recruit come near soiling him/herself upon experiencing that for the first time.

Corpses also have a disconcerting tendency to copiously defecate and pass gas quite audibly when you move them, also quite an eye-opener for the uninitiated.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Those that die with air still in their lungs, when they're moved and the air is expelled and passes through their vocal cords will groan. I had more than one police recruit come near soiling him/herself upon experiencing that for the first time.

Corpses also have a disconcerting tendency to copiously defecate and pass gas quite audibly when you move them, also quite an eye-opener for the uninitiated.

Reason No. 2 to pursue a career in mechanical engineering. No biologics.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Sadly, and based on other tweets I've seen from him, I think Hogg is loving the attention. There doesn't seem to be a bit of him that cares about the deceased other than what they've done for him.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    People are always identified as Targets, or some colorful slur. When it's just a thing, it's easier to shoot it or blow it up. If you didn't do that, then there would be something seriously wrong with you as it defies a person's natural order to kill something. A lot of people even have a hard time killing animals if they can't think of it as food. Men are better at it than women since men have more of a proclivity toward compartmentalization.

I remember reading Blackhawk Down...Remember the two guys with the big gun that were trying fight their way out of there???? The guy who got his hearing damaged when his partner fired the gun by his ear??? In the movie they showed them watching Steve Martin's "The Jerk" but left out the exchanges those two were having during the firefight.....

"These skinnies hate cans!!!! we have got to find a spot without any cans!!!!"

And then they would move to another position, start taking fire again and one would look at the other and say..

"NOOOOO....LOOK!!!! CANS!!!! We have got to get away from these cans!!!!"

He said they were laughing their butts off quoting a movie while people were trying to kill them....He said laughing was better than thinking you were going to die...

"Eat at Louigi's"

[video=youtube;0UUWOpsBdOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UUWOpsBdOI[/video]

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Put them in the water and sun a few days.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Put them in the water and sun a few days.

How about a hot tub for 3. The thing that all street cops can relate.... going on a welfare check, and noticing that the grass is high. Time to pullout the bandana that has has been sacked on cologne.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom