• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    I lot of people carry a J frame size in the pocket. I pretty much live in jeans and have NEVER been comfortable with this carry. I carry my J frame size pistols on my belt, or a ankle holster.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    I've heard good things about Ruger SP101...I've also heard 1) to get it with three inch barrel if you can, the extra 3/4 to 1 inch makes a difference in accuracy and 2) it's a lot easier to shoot 38+P in a small wheelgun than it is to shoot 357.

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I highly recommend a S&W 640. I have an older one in .38spl +P. I believe the newer ones are .357mag. I would prefer a lighter weight such as the 642, however, the weight of the 640 tends to help with taming +P loads. I carry it on duty as a backup and it fits in jeans pocket just fine for off duty carry.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Since I obtained a KelTec PF9. I no longer carry my Smith 36. A small J frame revolver is an excellent choice. If I were to carry a pocket wheel gun now I would go with either a Model 438 Bodyguard .38 cal (+P) or a M&P 340 .357. Both are light weight and no hammer exposed to catch on anything. I used a Barami Hip Grip, a Pistol Handle-Holster, that way I could carry in pocket of just slip it in my belt.

From Barami Hip Grip Concealed Pistol Revolver
    "Barami Hip Grip is a set of stocks (replacement). The right grip panel has an "extension" that flares away from the gun slightly, creating a surface that when inserted inside the waistband (trousers, shorts, skirts, etc.) it hooks over it.

The Barami Hip-Grip while eliminating the need for a concealment holster, still can be used with other types of holsters if needed."

BaramiHipGrip.jpg

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I carry one daily:

tape1.jpg

Get a good holster so that the grip is where you expect it every time you put your hand in the pocket. I put skater friction tape on the back of mine to make it all black and to increase my grip on it. And get some good short barrel specific +P ammo if you go .38.

Can't beat it for simplicity, concealment, and speed of draw. The down side is slow to reload and slow on followup shots. But it has NEVER, EVER failed me. Can't say that of my other small carry guns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've heard good things about Ruger SP101...I've also heard 1) to get it with three inch barrel if you can, the extra 3/4 to 1 inch makes a difference in accuracy and 2) it's a lot easier to shoot 38+P in a small wheelgun than it is to shoot 357.

SP101's are a good enough gun, but IMO, they are absolutely NOT a pocket gun. They are heavy and the dimensions are too big for a pocket, especially the 3" model. Nothing wrong with them otherwise, but I'd suggest you plan on using a belt holster for the Ruger. I used to have one and wouldn't even consider trying to put it in a pocket- although a carhartt pocket in the winter did work pretty well.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I carry a 642 in my jeans pocket all day everyday and dont even notice it anymore. Some peoples comfort just varies I guess. I would highly recommend using a pocket holster rather than just stuffing it loose in your pocket. Also, if you pocket carry, dont ever put anything else in that pocket with the gun. I have also carried several different small guns in ankle holsters and as long as you wear boots of some nature it seems to work fine.

Depending on the type of pants you wear a full steel snubbie may weigh down your pocket. I have 1 all steel gun and 1 aluminum and the extra money for aluminum was well spent. I wouldnt bother going lighter yet such as titanium or scandium, but aluminum seems to work well. They do recoil more but for as much as I shoot it, I just deal with it. If I ever have to shoot someone with it, I highly doubt I will notice the recoil much.

Also choose ammo carefully. None of these snubbies will make much velocity, so your bullet choice becomes more important. Speer had made a special load using a 135 gr Gold Dot bullet that actually did make much better velocity than most, if you can find some, grab it.

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    140   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    I'd go with a S&W 642 or 442, about 15oz. Both are hammerless and you really don't want to mess with a hammer on a pocket carried gun.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    SP101's are a good enough gun, but IMO, they are absolutely NOT a pocket gun. They are heavy and the dimensions are too big for a pocket, especially the 3" model. Nothing wrong with them otherwise, but I'd suggest you plan on using a belt holster for the Ruger. I used to have one and wouldn't even consider trying to put it in a pocket- although a carhartt pocket in the winter did work pretty well.

I'll second this. The 3" Ruger SP101 is my all time favorite gun, but it's a compact gun, not a pocket gun. Just too heavy, and too long really. I stuck it in a pocket every now and then, but never for long.

Wish I still had mine :( I liked it even better than I like my S&W 66.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    When I carry a revolver it's my Ruger SP101 2.25 inch .357 in a sob holster. No concealment problems. THE sob I use is a left handed belt clip used as an iwb, works great.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I can pocket carry my S&W 642 with no problems at all! Throw it in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster and away I go!

I only have one pair of jeans that don't have deep enough pockets to 100% conceal the revolver.

I also carry it IWB in a leather belt holster...it really is virtually indetectable.

-J-

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I use a S&W 642 as my pocket backup. I would recommend your revolver choice to be hammerless or an enclosed design to obvious avoid snagging.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I carry a S & W 638 with +p loads. Love this gun. It has a covered hammer that I can still get to if needed. I guess that is the old school thing I have going on. It fits well in the pocket and when I wear a untucked shirt it rides real well in a Fobus holster. Before that I had a Taurus in a 38 with a 3" barrel. I really don't believe that there is much difference in the accuracy between a 3" or a 1-7/8" when you take in to account the fact that these guns are mainly used in a short distance shooting. KS&E on Pendleton Pike has really good deals on S & W's.

rhkirk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    I know a lot of people don't like Taurus, but I carry an 85UL almost every day in my pocket. It is a great shooter and really has a pretty good trigger. I paid about $300 new for mine about 6 months ago.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd go with a S&W 642 or 442, about 15oz. Both are hammerless and you really don't want to mess with a hammer on a pocket carried gun.

+1 if what you want is a pocket wheelgun. However, these are pushing the envelope of a "pocket" gun to the point where it really depends on the pocket. For some pockets they're pocket guns. For others they're not.

If you can pocket a 642/442 you can also pocket some small autos with superior ballistics and/or ergonomics. Something to consider.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    The S&W J-frame .38 +P 342 Airlite Ti PD w/concealed hammer has served me well as a pocket gun. I suggest replacing the rubber grips with something smoother like cocobolo for a quicker draw if the rubber tends to get hung up on the lining of your pocket. It will not be enjoyable to shoot! The 340 is available in .357, as well. Picture of it below:

SW340PD.jpg

Top Bottom