Please give me your ideas on my first revolver...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    Had a post earlier on what handgun was next...

Revolver came up...

Like the SW637-2 due to it being 15 ounces and concealability.

What is YOUR favorite revolver...why, and which one do you want to buy next?

Can I see pics?

Budget is 750 +/-

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    For range/HD a S&W 686 is my personal favorite. The Ruger GP 100 is a great revolver as well.

For CCW, a S&W 642 is hard to beat. The reason why I choose it vs. a 637 is the hammer is not exposed. So, you get a "snag free" draw.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The only advice I would give is that if you are thinking of a lightweight model be sure you shoot it first. I have talked to several people who put money into a lightweight revolver only to hate the recoil. I have wanted a .357 for a while. I just haven't run across a deal that I can't walk away from. I will probably buy a S&W or Ruger. I am not sure I can bring myself to buy a Taurus. Just my .02

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Since you listed weight and concealability as reasons for the 637, I'll figure you are looking for a CC snubnose.

The .38 is a good choice. Its a good round, and you can practice with mostly standard pressure and then carry +Ps. Its true you give up a bit of velocity over a .357, but in an ultra light 2" barrel package, I don't think the extra velocity is worth the extra recoil. Shooting an airweight .357 is like high fiving a sledge hammer. Even a great shooter isn't going to be able to do follow up shots as fast as the .38, and not many folks would consider it a fun 'range gun' for the day. I love .357, but I want it in a heavier and larger revolver.

I have a Taurus 650 CIA.

650SS2.jpg

It's been my back up gun for over 6 years now, and if I didn't trust it and couldn't shoot it well, it would never have made that cut. I run a few cylinders of standard pressure .38 followed by a cylinder of +Ps through it once a month and its never had a hiccup.

I like the snag free internal hammer design. The fixed sights work for me, and the grip is comfortable.

The Ruger LCR is a popular option, and is even lighter. The extra 6oz or so never mattered to me for carry, the 650 sits in my pocket without me noticing.

The S&W is fine if you don't mind the keyhole in the side. To me, it ruins the look of the revolver. Taurus has a keyhole as well, but its on the backstrap where you don't see it unless you really look, and it makes it much cleaner.

If you don't mind old school, a Colt Agent, Cobra, or Detective's Special is a fun gun to have, you get 6 shots over 5, and they usually have a buttery smooth trigger. Prices tend to go up on those older Colts, too, so I guess its something of an investment if you keep it in decent shape.

I have no experience with the Ruger SP101.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The only advice I would give is that if you are thinking of a lightweight model be sure you shoot it first. I have talked to several people who put money into a lightweight revolver only to hate the recoil.

Pretty much this. I'm not the most educated of folks on all of this stuff yet but I've got an Airweight .38 and a few other larger (Model 19 & 15) revolvers and while I can shoot the bigger ones all day long with the exact same rounds, the airweight is really rough on the hands. I can be accurate with it but after about 20 rounds I'm done. To me they can make a lot of sense as a good back up gun, but I wouldn't want to use one as my primary carry or as a general plinking gun.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Had a post earlier on what handgun was next...

Revolver came up...

Like the SW637-2 due to it being 15 ounces and concealability.

What is YOUR favorite revolver...why, and which one do you want to buy next?

Can I see pics?

Budget is 750 +/-

Right now, in the classifieds here at INGO, is a S&W 66 snub nose for sale. the 66 is arguable one of the best revolvers ever made. And finding a snubbie is a VERY hard thing to do. They are simply a GREAT gun. My brother has one, I wanted one. My dad passed his down to me...with one requirement....when he dies, I have to sneak it into the coffin for a few minutes for him. He said then he can rest in peace. :)

Mine is a no dash, one of the first models made, from the early 70's. It locks up perfectly, has a tremendous trigger, and you can shoot the gonads off a mosquito at 15 yards with it.

If you question what I say about the revolver, take a look at this write up.

And BTW...if you do get one, give me a shout, and I can recommend a fella that makes CUSTOM wood grips for them that are simply STUNNING. And functional.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    For a first revolver I would look at a S&W Model 10. Shoot the crap out of it and get used to the double action trigger. Get your airweight after you decide if carrying a revolver could work for you.

The revolver I shoot the most happens to be a S&W Model 19 w/4" barrel. I guess I could call it my favorite if I had to.

I part time carry a s&w 638.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    For range/HD a S&W 686 is my personal favorite. The Ruger GP 100 is a great revolver as well.

For CCW, a S&W 642 is hard to beat. The reason why I choose it vs. a 637 is the hammer is not exposed. So, you get a "snag free" draw.

This^^. Took the words right out of my mouth.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    first tip, don't buy one. It leads to buys 2 then 3 then the next thing you know you have 7. Don't ask how I know :-(

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I will admit that S&W probably has about the best revolver ever made, but for your budget, you could really balance yourself out and get 2 Taurus 85s or one of the other models. One for each hand. Ha Ha. You do want to be careful though, they do multiply. I now have 8. Favorite DA is my GP 100 with 4" barrel. Favorite SA Super Blackhawk 44mag. Tie between 7.5" and 5.5"

Top Bottom