• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    I just don't understand how this keeps happening. Doesn't the first rule cover making sure the gun is not loaded? Like as in check 3 times?

It's certainly sad for the family involved but c'mon, lacking enough common sense to clear the weapon kinda says you have it coming. Sorry if that sounds harsh but sheesh, what do you think is gonna happen?

1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I am not trying to be a jerk here. I am new to guns but not new to common sense. At what point during the cleaning process is the stinking gun loaded? I clear mine like a hundred times. My prayers to this dudes family.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I am not trying to be a jerk here. I am new to guns but not new to common sense. At what point during the cleaning process is the stinking gun loaded? I clear mine like a hundred times. My prayers to this dudes family.

I'm with you and do not get this "accidentally went off while cleaning" business. I have to chalk it up to BAD reporting by the media. I've cleaned my guns 100s of times and never once did one fire. In fact I've never once cleaned a gun that was loaded.

But this is all too common a tragedy. It's a tragedy because it did not have to happen and was NOT an accident. It was negligence.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm with you and do not get this "accidentally went off while cleaning" business. I have to chalk it up to BAD reporting by the media. I've cleaned my guns 100s of times and never once did one fire. In fact I've never once cleaned a gun that was loaded.

But this is all too common a tragedy. It's a tragedy because it did not have to happen and was NOT an accident. It was negligence.

Im not sure it's bad reporting from the media.
    Sometimes families tell the media it was an accident especially when a family member decided to kill himself with his gun.
    I believe that most of the "accidentally killed while cleaning the gun" who are reported by the media are in fact suicides.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Im not sure it's bad reporting from the media.
    Sometimes families tell the media it was an accident especially when a family member decided to kill himself with his gun.
    I believe that most of the "accidentally killed while cleaning the gun" who are reported by the media are in fact suicides.

I know of at least one case where this was the case. I wonder about every one I read about now.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I know of at least one case where this was the case. I wonder about every one I read about now.

Yeah, I dont know any shooter who would clean a loaded gun and that would point the barrel at himself and pull the trigger while cleaning it. It just doesn't make any sense if you know even just a little about guns.:n00b:

I guess if you dont know anything about guns, or dont think too much about it, then you can believe it was an accident when you read about it in the newspaper. :dunno:
    Some family members might even know that it's a suicide but they still rather think it was a tragic accident.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    I am no expert but when I clean my guns the first steps I take all revolve around unloading and clearing the chamber and then verifying that the gun is empty. At no time does the barrel ever sweep me or anyone else.

Top Bottom