• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I need to plant some trades to give future shade. It is on a lot that is 100ft wide along a lake. There is a concrete seawall and the ground is about 30 inches above the lake level. I hear that you should not plant trees too close to the lake as they can damage a seawall. I am a big fan of oak trees. Are there any oaks that have roots that go down more than out? How about other hardwood species that have roots that go down more than out?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Want water-loving shade trees? Willows, man, Willows.

And yes - tree roots can, will, and do damage retaining walls / sea walls / whatever else.

I wish I could help you with which trees are less apt to go THROUGH an obstruction vs. going around it - but I'm sure there are some.

May want to be careful with the oaks. If enough acorns make it into the water it can probably really screw up the pH when the tannins leach out.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Looking for hardwood trees, willows though beautiful are too much of a mess. Id like to plant the trees about 15 to 20 ft away from the seawall.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Another thing to consider is how many years you plan to wait for your shade. A Red Maple or a Willow will be throwing some serious shade in 10 years, whereas none of the oaks would get to the same size in less than 20.

But, oak trees are definitely worth the wait, and they'll live for 100 years after the maple or willow will have died. Your county ag extension agent can help you choose which kind of oak tree would do the best in your soil and in proximity to a lake.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A general, but not always 100% accurate, rule of thumb is that the roots will match the canopy. So imagine what the canopy of that oak will be in 50-60 years, and the roots will be pushing out in the same diameter. I love oaks, but if you're planting one 20 feet from a seawall, you're asking for serious trouble.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've worried about this at my house. I have a large linden tree that is around 10-15 feet from the house. I keep the tree trimmed off the house but the canopy is probably 20ft radius. So the roots are surely putting pressure on the basement walls let alone could be trying to invade the drainage tile around the basement. I'd hate the thought of cutting it down but probably wasn't the best tree to plank next to a house.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Here's a couple trees for you to look into:

Sawtooth oak: It is supposed to grow 3-5 feet per year. I haven't seen that on my land, but they also say it takes about 2 or 3 years after initial planting to see that.

Royal Empress / PAULOWNIA: It is supposed to grow 10-15 feet per year. It's a flowering tree and most people don't even know it exists. I've tried it on my land with nothing but a planting and some good old fashioned neglect and they didn't exactly take off.

As mentioned earlier, Willows: If you've got a low spot, or a place where you need to turn water into a tree there you go. They have invasive roots though, so that sounds like a deal breaker for you.

I've had some great luck with maples taking to my sandy soil so that may be a good idea for you as well.

Pro Tip: Lowes will have all their trees at 50% off either last week of June or first of July. Check the website, it usually updates a week or more before stickers get put on the trees. I do it every year. This year looks like it'll be a hot summer, so I'm focusing my next round of tree buying/planting for this fall.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I planted Douglaas fir some years back,and they were no more than 12 inches above water table.They grew like mad,They tripled in size in 3 years.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Sawtooth oak: It is supposed to grow 3-5 feet per year. I haven't seen that on my land, but they also say it takes about 2 or 3 years after initial planting to see that.

I had bought a Sawtooth oak at Lowes some years ago and was later surprised to see it listed as an unwanted invasive on a DNR publication. Turns out they come originally from Asia and their fast growth rate and huge acorn yields allow them to out-compete native trees. And they said the downside of the fast growth rate is that the tree is susceptible to breaking and splitting. Sure enough, my own Sawtooth oak broke off in a storm when it was 6 or so inches in diameter.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Willows have weak wood and are prone to wind damage. I know hickorys and walnuts have a tap root but am not sure if they're good for actual wet ground or not

Some birches seem to tolerate wet ground but they don't throw as much shade

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Swamp White Oak. I have some in low lying/wet areas and they produce a beautiful canopy. Durable too. Don't know how invasive they are.

Top Bottom