• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    I was reading the "Help Me Pick My New Flashlight" thread because I am interested in a light for my hand gun (P-99). I have been looking around but just not sure which way to go: hand held flashlight that I can attach, designated gun light, brand, etc.
    I will tell you tho, it will "probably" only be used as home defense unless all hell breaks loose. :ar15:(God forbid) So, until that could happen, price is an issue. If I counted on it everyday for my job or life, only the best would do. But, as it stands, I'd like to have something worthy of home protection that doesn't cost an arm and left testicle. I have mag-lites but I think one on the gun is a better choice.
    I do shoot this gun quite often for target practice and IDPA (and maybe other types of shooting matches in the future) so I want to be able to put it on/take it off easily, if possible. (I keep it on a magnet by my bed.)
    Soooooo, any suggestions on what you like? Or even places to get it? I'd like to patronize those who support us if at all possible.
    Thanx in advance,
    Chaz

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I've got a Streamlight TLR-1s riding on my G17, it's not the most bombproof one on the market but it's solid enough that as long as I keep good batteries in it, I think I'll be able to expect it to last. I do not use it to replace the good flashlight that I EDC; as to me at least, a weapon light serves a specific purpose, while a flashlight serves as a general purpose tool. The TLR comes with a few adaptors to fit different rail designs (not sure what the P99 rail is), and is on sale with Midways last email blast today or tomorrow for $89; I got mine for $99 less 10% during a storewide sale through LA Police Gear. At the price I think it's more value than a $250+
    Surefire, but the surefire is brighter and more durable, and I think their cost is justified; and to be honest I didn't even consider the $30-50 range of non brand weapon lights. Insight makes a few models folks around here like (I wasn't thrilled by an EDC light they make so I shyed away) I also looked at the Glock light (which probably won't work for you) and glanced at the Crimson Trace light gaurd in the process of making my choice.

Here is an interesting article on the topic..
    The light at the end of the gun by Massad Ayoob Issue #128

And a past thread on the issue, that mentions several brands and their reputations...
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/178046-pistol_lights.html

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Good stuff guys, thanx.
    I guess I have to get over the sticker shock of what a "flashlight" costs. :D:D:D I know, I know. Save the flaming. :D:D But, it's still a bit of money. I just have to hold off a little longer to be able to pony up that much for, probably, the TLR-1. I like the "good stuff" and tend to get it but as with most people, I can't always jump in at will. BUt, thank you for all the good info!!!!!! It was a good "schoolin". :): (and this forum is awesome for it!!)
    Chaz

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I know some great lights have been mentioned. If you are on a budget you might check out Nebo Protec. SUPER bright and IMO built very well for the price. They are excellent lights and can be had for about $30 - $40 on opticsplanet. This is my second one and my other was used and abused for well over a year and I got it used. Never had a problem yet. Oh did I mention that the 190 Lumen LED is BRIGHT!!

For pocket carry I have a Fenix stainless LD01 limited edition, Jet Beam Jetpro, Fenix L2D, Fenix L1D, Fenix TK11. My top pick is the LD01 as it is bright and very small and has been through the washer at least a couple dozen times and you would never know it by how it works and functions. Still looks like new!

2011-11-28_11-30-38_636.jpg

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Thanx Aaron. I was wondering if anyone was in favor with that NEBO. I read some stuff on it and I think the only "real" drawback was that it could break if overtightened. The reviews, otherwise, were fairly favorable.
    The price was definitely right if it functioned well. And as I said, it would only be on my gun when in the house. I may pick one up and then later on down the road drop a little larger greenback for a better one. Maybe something I can use on another weapon as well.
    Not that I am expecting any trouble in the near future but, it would be nice to get one soon. Ya never know when ya might just need it. Kinda like carrying - If I absolutely, positively, for certain, knew when I would need a gun, I would only carry that extra weight around then. :)
    Thanx man!
    Chaz

pmoore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Funny, I just ordered the Protec this morning. 190 Lumens and strobe. Nothing can mess you up more than a bright strobe.....followed by hot lead. I got mine for $32.

I will report when it comes in.

Paul

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Ohhh... That P99 is a tough gun to get a light to attached to! The rail is standard, but the key placement is different from everything else. So make sure you do some fit testing homework.

A side note for the NEBO stuff... The light output isn't in the ball park of what they say it is. I know that the 220 lumen handheld light is in the ball park of 80 lumens. I'd imagine that the pistol light is the same way... Keep in mind, you can put what ever you want on a side of a flashlight box.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Ohhh... That P99 is a tough gun to get a light to attached to! The rail is standard, but the key placement is different from everything else. So make sure you do some fit testing homework.

A side note for the NEBO stuff... The light output isn't in the ball park of what they say it is. I know that the 220 lumen handheld light is in the ball park of 80 lumens. I'd imagine that the pistol light is the same way... Keep in mind, you can put what ever you want on a side of a flashlight box.

I own quite a few high output pocket rockets. I do not own a light box so I cannot tell you the true candlepower of the Nebo Protec hp190. I can tell you that I have a Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro 2.0 that is rated for 225 lumens. The Nebo Hp190 Will out throw it and out shine it. Alot of it has to do with colour temperature of the LED used and bezel size. But I can tell you hands down that the Protec is worth every penny spent. I got my first one in a trade and didnt think much of it. After I used it I could not believe how good it was for such a cheap light. Now I have not touched one of their hand held lights and maybe I wont after hearing what you have to say about them. But i have no problem recommending their tac light.

Here is a picture of the Jet Pro on bottom and the Nebo on top

2011-11-29_20-14-35_799.jpg

I would recommend sending the light back if it is not what they say. I have seen plenty of lights, even some higher end ones, that have a faulty LED from the factory. I am not saying yours is but I would send it back either way.

Last edited:

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    It's not that I have a NEBO that is bad.... it's that people whip them out at shows to show me how they got a 220 lumen light for $25..... then I turn on a true 200 lumen light... which blows it away.

The biggest give away is that they claim a 4 hour run time of aaa batteries for 220 lumens.... The math doesn't check out there.

Looking at the protec, its rated at 3 hours for 190 lumens on 123a's, which is a little more inline. The 190 is an emitter rating, so it's prolly 130-140 useful lumens. Your Jetbeam is rated at the emitter as well.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    It's not that I have a NEBO that is bad.... it's that people whip them out at shows to show me how they got a 220 lumen light for $25..... then I turn on a true 200 lumen light... which blows it away.

The biggest give away is that they claim a 4 hour run time of aaa batteries for 220 lumens.... The math doesn't check out there.

Looking at the protec, its rated at 3 hours for 190 lumens on 123a's, which is a little more inline. The 190 is an emitter rating, so it's prolly 130-140 useful lumens. Your Jetbeam is rated at the emitter as well.

Very true!! I stumbled on the protec, that is the only reason I got one. Then I had to buy another because I was actually very impressed with the one I had gotten. As for the hand held torch that does seem to be quite out of line. I know my fenix Ld01 with a R series led at a rated 80 lumens only gets about an hour and a half of run time on a good quality aaa battery. I imagine the circuit is far superior to the Nebo one in the hand torch.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My opinion:

1. Surefire
    2. Streamlight

In addition, even if you have a weapon-mounted light, you still need a handheld light.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Watch out for high lumen lights. For home defense you should be satisfied with 100 lumems or so I would think. More than that can blind you just by reflecting off the wall, let alone a mirror or picture frame. I don't recommend that you buy a light intended to blind the intruder, because it could backfire on you. Your gun is your weapon, not your light. You're not going to be in pursuit at 100 yards firing at an intruder. Get something with a long battery life that is reliable, but don't sweat the lumens so much.

I would probably get a streamlight. Among the other name brand choices, they are more affordable as well as compact. Plus some holsters are made to fit them.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    [quote]Ohhh... That P99 is a tough gun to get a light to attached to! The rail is standard, but the key placement is different from everything else. So make sure you do some fit testing homework.

[/quote]
    I bought the NEBO Protec in hopes I could mke it work on the P-99 or just use it on my M-17. (It does fit that gun well!)
    It seems that it is just "barely" off from fitting my P-99. But, since what I do is metal work, I "think" I can make it happen. I just received it so I haven't come up with a plan yet. IT certainly was reasonable enough and seems to be plenty bright enough... albeit this is my first. I guess time will tell as to if it's a good deal or not.
    I'll let you know what I come up with in case someone else has a P-99 and wanting to use this light. (probably not meny, huh. :rolleyes:)
    Thanx for the heads up about it ledwarehouse!!!!
    Also thanx for the insight netsecsvc!! That's a good thought to keep in mind. And I think this could actually blind the user in the proper/improper situation. It IS pretty bright.
    Chaz

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Well, it wasn't too terribly tough. I imagine some guys would have a problem with having to do anything to make a new piece fit but.... I like messing with "stuff" (including my "gear") so it wasn't that big of a deal. Just a small problem to solve.
    It was very close to fitting so I was looking to shave a little anywhere I could. All I did was clean up the front of the trigger guard to make sure it was clean and smooth (actually all of it could be taken from here if you want to file your gun) and file a small bit from the light (small cover that covers the switch). I then made sure the locking groove in the gun rail was clean and straight (it's composite). Then when all that didn't quite make it, I took the pin out of the light that held the spring and "lock in lever" (for lack of a better word) and filed a very small amount from the area that fits into the groove on the gun rail. Just a few thousanths. Fits like a charm!!
    It is just sooooo close to fitting it's amazing. Only a few thousanths taken from anywhere. Too bad NEBO couldn't make that little adjustment in the "locking lever" but I guess the P-99 might be the only problem gun. Either way, no big deal and I had fun tinkering. It also still locks perfectly to the weaver rail on my M-17.
    Hope this might help some else down the line.
    Chaz

Top Bottom