Pistol holder for the safe - Your thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    What do you think about storing pistols in the safe like this?

I don't like laying them down on the shelves so I have been pondering ways to hold them.

I saw rubber coated wire ones at Gander but it stores them upside down.

This is a composite piece of deck board with brass dowels. My cleaning rod is brass so I thought these brass dowels should not scratch the inside if the barrel.

To insure it does not tip and spill the guns over I will drill through the board and shelf and bolt the deck board with a #10 nut and bolt.

Think the brass rods would be ok?

gunstand002.jpg

gunstand001.jpg

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    EDIT sorry. Just read they are brass, should've read the post and not judged from the pics. Sorry. but I agree with the post below me. Dont really like unnecessary things sticking in the barrel. Personally id stick some velcro stuck to the door and get some velcro like maxpedition holders

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't generally like sticking things in the barrel unnecessarily. I like the coated wire racks and store UPRIGHT in those; nothing in the barrel, non-marring to the finish, and good air circulation.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Over time, you might damage the crown of the muzzle with those metal rods, while taking the guns off and putting them on. I would go with something that cradles the guns or holsters, etc.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Looks good! I think concerns of barrel wear from a brass dowel are overwrought. I'm sure a copper jacketed bullet at 1,000 fps is rougher on the barrel than gently sliding a pistol over a dowel. You might consider Plasti-dip to coat them, though, as then you wouldn't have to worry about any tiny burrs on the metal.

JadeBrecks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    I made this for my safe. Freaking awesome for storing them and taking very little space while you are at it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rq8bSyHI64[/ame]

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Keep the barrel rods clean and your barrel clean and you'll have no problems.
    I shoot ALOT of black powder. There was an article in Muzzleblast magazine several years ago where they tested loading/cleaning rods for muzzleloaders. Wood was actually the worst for wear on the barrel due to dirt and grime getting impregnated into the wood and acting like an abrasive. Fiberglass was second followed by brass rods. Given that, I still use wood rods most of the time followed by fiberglass because the time it took to actually cause damage to the barrels during the testing was tremendous.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Well, after I tried this in the safe I have to give the idea a thumbs down.

Both the 4" and 6" barrel revolvers force the whole thing way too far back on the shelf.

Oh Well... It works ok on snubbies :)

Good ideas from everyone. I will go back and study all of them again.

Back to the drawing board.

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I'm using some short plastic vertical organizers from an office supply store.
    They are inexpensive and work fairly well.
    Velcro dots on the underside help to hold them in place.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I took one of the extra shelves that came in my safe, peeled the fabric off, and cut about 4" off. I then cut a series of V notches in the 4" piece, and screwed that back on to the other part of the shelf in an L shape. Reuse the fabric to cover the face and inside of the notches, and you have a nearly free pistol rack that matches the inside of your safe. I store everything from my 7 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk to a PF-9 in the rack, and they all fit just fine. The pistols sit in the rack upright, and the weight of the guns holds it down, and keeps it from tipping over. No rods in the barrel, and a soft covering to protect the gun where its cradled.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I have pouches that hang in the safe. Can't recall brand but only place I've found them is Shooter Supply in Louisville and I just got the full sized one with the extra pouches for mags. I like it because you free shelf space!

Top Bottom