• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Does anyone know where I can purchase those Pink Clay Birds seen on Shooting Exhibitions? They seem to "powder" more than the usual Clay Birds. Thanks!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The exhibition shooters hit them so close, "powder" is all thats left! I you watch a few guys shooting an inbound bird on the Sporting Clays course, you'll see lots of "powder" shots.

White Flyer has Bio targets, they dust better than a pitch target, but are pricey. They also carry Flash targets, which are used for Televised events, they have a pouch of powder under the dome, and is much easier to see on the screen. Cost is higher with these also, but a bunch of fun.

If you mix powdered construction chalk with water until it is a slurry, pour it in the dome of the clay and let it dry, they can present quite a cloud when hit.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I agree, the reason the ones you see on shooting exhibitions seem to dust more is because the guys behind the guns are true masters. The clays aren't special, the shooters are. ;)

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    I agree, the reason the ones you see on shooting exhibitions seem to dust more is because the guys behind the guns are true masters. The clays aren't special, the shooters are. ;)

WRONG.

The birds you see Tom Knapp, or the Gun Nuts shoot that have the pink "smoke" are a special kind of bird called a "flash" target. They have the same dimensions as a standard 110mm target, but contain some flourescent powder in the dome to make the hits more dramatic.

Any joe-blow can "smoke" a clay target that is close enough for the load/choke combination, but this complete pulverization of the target results in black (or in the case of WhiteFlyer Bio targets, white) clouds.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    WRONG.

The birds you see Tom Knapp, or the Gun Nuts shoot that have the pink "smoke" are a special kind of bird called a "flash" target. They have the same dimensions as a standard 110mm target, but contain some flourescent powder in the dome to make the hits more dramatic.

Any joe-blow can "smoke" a clay target that is close enough for the load/choke combination, but this complete pulverization of the target results in black (or in the case of WhiteFlyer Bio targets, white) clouds.
    I'll give you that, but admittedly, the question he was asking was a bit confusing. He didn't mention anything about pink dust/smoke, just dust. This lead me to believe he was talking about a pink painted clay bird (they do make them in more colors than just orange and white). I'm not really big into watching exihibition shooting so I didn't know he was talking about the flash targets.

Either way, the reason the targets dust so easily is because those shooters are truly masters at what they do.

I do disagree that "any joe-blow can smoke a clay target", because there are lots of people out there that can't. It's not as easy as they make it look. I shot competitive trap for several years before getting out of it because I was just too busy. I routinely won local competitions etc, but even I couldn't smoke targets regularly like these guys do.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    I'll give you that, but admittedly, the question he was asking was a bit confusing. He didn't mention anything about pink dust/smoke, just dust. This lead me to believe he was talking about a pink painted clay bird (they do make them in more colors than just orange and white). I'm not really big into watching exihibition shooting so I didn't know he was talking about the flash targets.

Either way, the reason the targets dust so easily is because those shooters are truly masters at what they do.

I do disagree that "any joe-blow can smoke a clay target", because there are lots of people out there that can't. It's not as easy as they make it look. I shot competitive trap for several years before getting out of it because I was just too busy. I routinely won local competitions etc, but even I couldn't smoke targets regularly like these guys do.

I have never seen a pink bird, only orange, yellow, green, white and black. Maybe they're out there. You're right about the OP being a bit vague.

You don't smoke clay birds because you're shooting trap. You break a trap bird at 30+ yards, right? I would never hope to smoke a trap bird. Try skeet, where on station 8, the birds are typically broken at about 12-15 feet. A baseball-sized pattern of 450 #8 pellets will smoke a standard target. Or try the low bird from station 1, or the high from station 7 (both incoming birds). Let them get in real close and it's hard to not smoke those birds when you hit them.

Five-stand ranges usually have an incoming bird, and sometimes you'll find them on the sporting clays range. The right load/choke combination coupled with a close target = smoked bird. I host a 5-stand shoot for my church every year. I always set up at least one belly-on incomer that lands just feet away from the stations. This is a bird that even my youth pastor can smoke (he's pretty awful with a scattergun).

arma73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Morgan Co.
    We made some a few years ago using the carpenters chalk dust. worked okay, although some of the clays smoked before they let the thrower...

Top Bottom